Code 50 Marshall speakers fail

wa_vigano

Reaction score
Dear members,

It's been a year since I've had problems with the CODE 50 speaker.
Model CODE 50 - V02019AB5E
220V - 50hz.

Symptoms:
- speaker stops working.
Returns if you insert a handset or restart.
- weak display
The display is weak, especially at the edges.

In the country where I live, the frequency is 60 hz can that be it?

Some perceptions:
* After much insisting the CODE works.
* When turned on it seems to cycle until it stops.
* There are places I play that seem like the network is better and it works perfectly.
* sometimes, before the speakers fail, the sound decreases in volume or is a little distorted.

Does anyone have this problem?
Can someone help me?

Thanks

1675699067522.png

TedL

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a Code 50 end of 2022. I'm on the latest FW.

I have a similar issue with the main speaker going out. No BT is active at the time.
Sometimes when I power cycle, then return to working only to go out again within 5 minutes.
Although the headphone jack still works and I can still switch between patches with the foot switch.

I have noticed a dim display as well.

I was thinking this is a FW issue...but with the faint display or based on your observation, if there may be a Power Supply problem?

Really frustrating, the amp is unusable with this issue.

I'm hoping to find someone on these discussion groups that has actually fixed a simialr problem and what was the fix.
No luck yet finding a root cause.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum guys...

this might be something difficult to solve. One thing, is that, w/ these units, the construction was not the greatest, & internally, there were a lot of connections to come loose.

There's multiple components to these. A power supply, the computer, & the power amp/speaker.

Truth be told, other than the connections, these are not very user repairable.

which would explain the lack of response to the OP.

That's where I'd start, is checking all the connections & making sure all the components are secure & in place, like they are supposed to be.

If not, you might need to contact a Marshall service rep.

TedL

Reaction score
Hi

Well after having the Code50 serviced by Sweetwater and the speaker dropping out seemed to be resolved.
I'll be darned if it starting dropping out again.

Well the one thing I noticed was that when the main speaker drops out, the headphone jack still had sound.

I did not leave the original speaker wires dangling. I actually attached them to a 50W 4Ohm resistor just to be safe to have a load on the Code50 power out stage.

The amp is now usable again. Bluetooth control works fine. No issues with the foot switch controller.
This workaround has preventing me just taking the amp and burying it in the backyard.

I will be gigging next month and this will be the amp I use...I do feel more confident with it given that I bypassed the Code50's power amp. I'll post here again if any new issues come up.

code_50_mod1.jpeg

code_50_mod2.jpeg
code_50_mod4.jpeg code_50_mod3.jpeg

PelliX

Reaction score
I did not leave the original speaker wires dangling. I actually attached them to a 50W 4Ohm resistor just to be safe to have a load on the Code50 power out stage.

I would actually suggest perhaps *not* connecting that resistor and simply isolating the ends of the speaker wires. A solid state amp like the CODE doesn't require a load. Also, a 50W resistor has no "headroom" in an amp putting out 50W (though, I'm not sure what the CODE is actually capable of). The resistor will also contribute to heat build-up in the cabinet, though I doubt that will be problematic. If it, however, for some reason fails closed (thus becoming a short) there's a fair chance it might kill the rest of the amp. YMMV.

Anyhow, best of luck - here's to a smooth gig with it. :cheers:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Dear members,

It's been a year since I've had problems with the CODE 50 speaker.
Model CODE 50 - V02019AB5E
220V - 50hz.

Symptoms:
- speaker stops working.
Returns if you insert a handset or restart.
- weak display
The display is weak, especially at the edges.

In the country where I live, the frequency is 60 hz can that be it?

Some perceptions:
* After much insisting the CODE works.
* When turned on it seems to cycle until it stops.
* There are places I play that seem like the network is better and it works perfectly.
* sometimes, before the speakers fail, the sound decreases in volume or is a little distorted.

Does anyone have this problem?
Can someone help me?

Thanks

View attachment 124804

If you can't fix it yourself and it's your choice of amp, it might be cheaper to get another one, I see plenty of them going for as little as $150.

TedL

Reaction score
I would actually suggest perhaps *not* connecting that resistor and simply isolating the ends of the speaker wires. A solid state amp like the CODE doesn't require a load. Also, a 50W resistor has no "headroom" in an amp putting out 50W (though, I'm not sure what the CODE is actually capable of). The resistor will also contribute to heat build-up in the cabinet, though I doubt that will be problematic. If it, however, for some reason fails closed (thus becoming a short) there's a fair chance it might kill the rest of the amp. YMMV.

Anyhow, best of luck - here's to a smooth gig with it. :cheers:
Thanks. Dang my original description of what I did to bypass the Code50 output stage got munged. Any hoot used a Vox MV50 I had and used the headphone out as the input to the MV50. Then used the MV50 out to drive the Code50 speaker (which I had replaced with a Warehouse Speaker (Invader 50). I have practiced with it and it is solid. Blue Tooth control is fine still.
As far as the resistor I will keep an eye on that, I think if the headphone jack is plugged in it actual bypasses the speaker load. Your point about a short is well taken would be a bummer. I may just unconnect it.
Thank You again and Best Regards.

PS- I need to find a decent acoustic simulator patch for this amp.
I also wonder what others have done with this amp wrt a speaker swap out. I always like tinkering around with these things.
Guitars: PRS SE McCarty 594, Gibson LP standard 1984 (retired this one), Fender American Strat 2019, Agile AL-3200 MCC w/ DiMarzio Super Dist (Br), PAF 36th Anniversary(Nk) - dang heavy Instrument

PelliX

Reaction score
That's a funky rig you've got going there, hehe.

As far as the resistor I will keep an eye on that, I think if the headphone jack is plugged in it actual bypasses the speaker load.

Yes, it effectively just disables the speaker output.

I may just unconnect it.

I would. Waste of a good resistor, too. :)

TedL

Reaction score
Another follow up....since I have bypassed the power section of the Code50 with the Vox MV50 everything has been working very reliably. I can still use the Bluetooth with my phone in practice and live.

Recently I swapped out the MV50 Clean with the Orange Micro Dark and Holy Smoley...that thing kicks rump!!!!!! What a nice product.
Now with the Marshall Code 50 Modeling and running it through the Orange Micro Dark which then drives the speaker...the tone really is awesome.
It is just want I was wanting and in a complete combo amp package that is easy to carry (I'm in my 60s and things need to be light).

I have yet dialed in a good acoustic simulator patch off the Marshall Gateway (but I'm still experimenting with one I found that may get me there).

Anyway wanted to pass on this update.

Given the Mod I did to bypass the Code50 power stage, I have a lot of new flexibility to swap in other power stages yet preserve the use of the Marshall Modeling.
And I really like the Bluetooth Control using my phone to tweak things.

Rock On Everyone.