Comparaison clips JMP2203 and 2203X

• Thread starter maxime1122
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Very close sounding for sure! Just as mentioned before, the JMP had more of it but I bet you can make the 2203x sound exactly the same if you adjusted the EQ some.

Fe911

Reaction score
I liked them both. Good choice on the classic 57's. They are some of my favorite pickups right now, go really well with the amp. It would be really tough to have to pick one amp over the other from the clips, but if I was standing in front of them, I think it would be easier. Who knows?

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the 2203x better - for that song. It's tighter, cleaner, while still being gainy enough for the song. I think it would definitely cut through a live and/or recorded mix better. The JMP is fatter and sounds awesome, but think about it - in a live band, playing that song, the low end of that tone would get more lost in the bass while the 2203 will jump right through.

Either amp is a win though, and I'd also rather hear them with no pedal.

True, but it depends on the style, and sound being looked for. Maybe the goal isn't for the guitar to "cut through", but actually blend with the bass. Sometimes a kinda mushy/bassy/flubby sound is desired. Personally I sometimes like it to blend together with the bass creating a mush sound making it one, instead of 2 distinct, separate instruments.
But it is nice sometimes to have a clear separation between, and not share too many frequencies (probably applies more in a recording situation).

Grunch

Reaction score
True, but it depends on the style, and sound being looked for. Maybe the goal isn't for the guitar to "cut through", but actually blend with the bass. Sometimes a kinda mushy/bassy/flubby sound is desired. Personally I sometimes like it to blend together with the bass creating a mush sound making it one, instead of 2 distinct, separate instruments.
But it is nice sometimes to have a clear separation between, and not share too many frequencies (probably applies more in a recording situation).

Well yeah, I'm just thinking about this song though. The original has pretty clear separation between the guitar and bass, so that's what I'm comparing it to. I think the 2203x would do a better job on this song, with those settings, in that regard.

maxime1122

Reaction score
I just played with my JMP a couple of minutes ago... And I bumped a bit presence and treble... A bit brighter now. Now, all the settings are at about 7, except master which is at 6 (while doing tests, not with a band hehe).

:h5:

ColeJustesen

Reaction score
You are right when you say that they close sounding, but what I like about the 2203X is that it seems to cut more and it sounds tighter, where as the JMP sounds bassier and slightly flubby in comparison.

Regardless, I liked both amps, but I am giving it to the 2203X.

Cole

dptone5

Reaction score
So close Max....

I have the Reissue, but I liked the JMP better for this rhythm track. The low end did it for me.

Also - for the rhythm track, I liked straight better than the OD pedal. OD was tighter, but too much gain for a rhythm track to me. The natural valve OD was just enough, but not fizzy....

All were good my friend and thanks!

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the ones straight to the amp. Lovely! Yes, it took out the fizziness, IMO maybe it can work more for a solo, but that rhythm sounded GREAT straight in.

dismalswamp

Reaction score
The JMP straight, no boost sounded amazing, got that raspy edge to it. I could listen to that riff for a long time without getting bored when you've got such a great tone going on. I thought the OD9 made it worse, spoilt the voice and fuzzed up the general feel. The 2203x fared better with the OD, after several listens i wasn't sure whether I prefferred it with or without the pedal, but hey who cares, ditch the pedal and stick with the JMP!

Judas Prius

Reaction score
The straight clips were awesome! Now THAT'S the tone I've been searching for. Great job man!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hey guys !

I've done a cover recently and did one track with each amp. Those two heads were set the same EQ-wise, PRE at 7 and Master at 6. Two amps have Ruby EL34BHT tubes, Ruby preamp tubes and the bias was done.

The cab used was 1960AV mic'ed with Shure SM-57 and Royer R121. I used a Gibson Les Paul Traditional with Classic 57+ pickups, on the bridge position.

And here are the straight clips of each amp :

The first one is a JMP2203 from 1981 with EL34

JMP2203-Straight by maxime1122 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one is a 2203X (reissue) from 2011 with EL34

2203X-Straight by maxime1122 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

-------------------
OD : boosted with Maxon OD-9

The first one is a JMP2203 from 1981 with EL34 with OD

JMP2203 by maxime1122 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one is a 2203X (reissue) from 2011 with EL34 with OD

2203X by maxime1122 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

--------------------

Which one do you prefer and why, OD or not, etc?

I find the JMP to be a tad bassier/fatter, but they are really close ! They are both loud :lol:

:h5:

After hearing all your soundclips, I'd say both amps are very similar when used with and without the OD.

Dave666

Reaction score
Both amps sound best straight in, they have enough gain for that song.Which surpises me, I thought those amps sounded clearer.
For recording and stand alone playing I would take the JMP but for playing live I think the 2203X would cut through better.

Maybe you can record the song using both amps?

Billyblades

Reaction score
With the older amps,, its a matter of getting lucky imo. Some may sound better than others as values drift as well as the age of the amp having being properly "broken in".
Ive had some that were crap & some that were killer!
I remember a point in time where people wouldnt touch a 2203 with a 10 foot pole.
Ive also heard ones that were unmodded and sounded great!
I recently bought a 2203x and was totally blown away!
It was like marshall found a really great one and copied it.
The crunch and balls are there. The only thing is I bought it to do a Cameron aldrich mod but having played it I am actually thinking about leaving it stock for the perfect marshall reference amp.
I might leave it stock so I can show people the classic marshall tone before its hotrodded!
I might just snip the bright cap because it is very bright.
I also notice the tone controls actually work on the reissue.
On the older ones,,,they dont really work as good.
Anyway 2203x gets an A+ from me!
Faithful reproduction,,, effects loop is a bonus as well even tho I never use one.
I like that it uses old style potetiometers too ! Very mod friendly as well!
Im fighting myself about modding it?

plexilespaul

Reaction score
With the older amps,, its a matter of getting lucky imo. Some may sound better than others as values drift as well as the age of the amp having being properly "broken in".
Ive had some that were crap & some that were killer!
I remember a point in time where people wouldnt touch a 2203 with a 10 foot pole.
Ive also heard ones that were unmodded and sounded great!
I recently bought a 2203x and was totally blown away!
It was like marshall found a really great one and copied it.
The crunch and balls are there. The only thing is I bought it to do a Cameron aldrich mod but having played it I am actually thinking about leaving it stock for the perfect marshall reference amp.
I might leave it stock so I can show people the classic marshall tone before its hotrodded!
I might just snip the bright cap because it is very bright.
I also notice the tone controls actually work on the reissue.
On the older ones,,,they dont really work as good.
Anyway 2203x gets an A+ from me!
Faithful reproduction,,, effects loop is a bonus as well even tho I never use one.
I like that it uses old style potetiometers too ! Very mod friendly as well!
Im fighting myself about modding it?
i don't know...you really like your reissue so i will respect that but saying
"I remember a point in time where people wouldnt touch a 2203 with a 10 foot pole" is going a little too far.
the original jcm 800 is the number one recording and gigging amp of all time.and it's not just MHO it's a fact.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
They both sounded great. The difference only sounded like the 2203 had presence set lower and 2203x presence set higher. I bet you could virtually make them sound identical through presence adjustment.

They sounded best without the OD.