Completely Out of My Depth - Modulus 50w 69 Build

• Thread starter kingfredward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Could the 220k resistor (in blue) be faulty, although it measures correctly with the low voltage from the DMM?
I thought about it as well. If you have a spare 220K resistor i would take that out and replace it

BlueX

Reaction score
Do the positive ends of the bias caps measure ~zero resistance to ground/chassis?
This is a valid question: Is the bias circuit grounded at all?

Looking at the picture in post #181, I can't see if the black wire is soldered to any lug (or where it is connected at the other end, of course)

IMG_8409.jpeg

NickKUK

Reaction score
I went through a calculated the voltages back from the DC current across there 15K resistor - in short they don't marry up. Even when taking when given a rough finger in the air averaging on the meter.

My thinking was from that - the DC current flow is 0.4mA which is quite low but not unheard of. However when you caculate back on the schematic you're about 110V short.. a higher current would resolve this drop 'gap'.

I would be reasonably comfortable with the 352V measurement if there was a low current. That's only 10% above the transformer, and both averaging high (can be 10% high or 60% low - which seems unlikely!) and transformer tolerances (can be ±%) leaves the other option which logically would be a low loading of current or higher wall voltage.

It's either that or the CT on the PT secondary is badly grounded but that would cause issues on the rest of B+..

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Ill open up my jmp later today and do a comparison. Maybe @Pete Farrington can give us his opinion?:)

Could be interesting to see what resistance you measure between 4 and 5, when you turn the bias pot both full clockwise and full counterclockwise.

No voltage, drained caps!

As already mentioned, -160 VDC bias voltage is not normal.

View attachment 159041

Do the positive ends of the bias caps measure ~zero resistance to ground/chassis?
Exactly, my guess is a connection between point 5 and the circuit common chassis is missing.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Dont worry man, well get your amp up and running! But i bet youre gonna pace yourself on the next build 😂

Last edited:

Latest posts