Completely Wackadoodle Wavy Cab Build

• Thread starter Geeze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geeze

Reaction score
Yes, it is I, the warped and demented defiler of all things wood - pretty wood that is - with another wackadoodle cab build. With sapele and curly maple I will create from thin air, no sorry, lots of sawdust and scrap bits on the way to an OS 1x12 the same size as the walnut and padauk cab I built earlier.

The idea that spawned this nightmare was a cab I built for the Dallas Guitar festival in 2017 - I think. It was an attempt to infuse the visual art of HH Giger [Alien, Steve Stevens Atomic Playboys cover] into wood. A vine choked jungle slowly devouring a Marshall 1987.

JARQakl.jpg

BPrnZKu.jpg

It was visually arresting but the padauk woodgrain was too straight.

So the search began and ended at the best wood store in the world [that I've found so far] Jeffries in Knoxville. I texted the owner of my wavy desires and she [my total wood crack dealer...] shot back some wavy sapele. The cab dimensions are 24.75x18.5x14" The plank is 11" wide - but wait I hear you cry; It's too narrow!

On any other cab you would be correct. But since I'm going to cut and remove two strips on each side I can make it as wide as needed.

Planning begins - follow the grain...

5eHh0EE.jpg

Plot the finger joints...

N5LVrOa.jpg

Rough cutting begins...

Will the demented nightmare actually work? Hold together whilst being pummeled by arena level AC/DC?!? Will it end up as a broken dream slowly smoldering in an abandoned field?!?!?!? Stay tuned.

Sorry - too much coffee...

Russ

Last edited:

Geeze

Reaction score
After I cut the longitudinal vines I'll need these finger joint jigs to hold them in alignment. Finger joints don't like to out of joint.

6THmJXk.jpg

Now finger jointed and sanded to working thickness.

CXhb9uW.jpg

9mGke6O.jpg

x9ezGHU.jpg

I live by the fairgrounds and they're having a pumpkin festival complete with a !!@%**%!!!!##!! sightseeing #***%!!!! helicopter that has been buzzing around all !!!#!$&***!! day. Anybody got a big flyswatter?

As usual this is a leap and the solution will appear project. Once I get these vines cut and shaped then it's time to figure out the curly maple cross vine geometry.

Russ

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
You have great passion.
I wish I had the patience to embark upon.
Instead I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

Where do you get your stock........woodcraft?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is some wicked cool grain patterns.
Can't wait to see this progressing.

Geeze

Reaction score
Where do you get your stock........woodcraft?

Jeffries in Knoxville - the best store I've seen in 5 states. 20,000 sqft of nothin but wood. They have a facebook page and post frequently. I've gotten wood from Woodcraft and Rocklers but they tend to have 4S [sanded on all four sides] .750" thick or thinner and generally picked through. I prefer 4/4 [1" to 1.125"] or 8/4 which is double the thickness so I can mill off tearout on the finger joints and build thicker finished pieces.

Russ

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Your making me want to set up the ole Incra twin linear.

Here we go !
lol

Geeze

Reaction score
I'm an addict - don't understand the concept of one... I've channeled it in rifle competition, guitar gear and wood. I also am an infector - my ex accused me of infecting people into what I was into at the time. My response - And? Your point?

Break out the incra and have at something!

I just HAD to bring this pretty face of fiddleback maple 120"x16"x1.125" home in addition to the 18BF of the sapele.

zg3uHi5.jpg

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
First side cut - this will be the proving ground.

Vines rough cut...

fxtKced.jpg

Sanded...

nECVc82.jpg

The curly maple cross piece - I plan to vary widths and angles/curves...

AbqwD1N.jpg

Cut, sanded to fit...

oSKtUX0.jpg

Watered for grain...

6hJseUv.jpg

Obligatory closeup...

2onccvq.jpg

I'm going to get a thinner bandsaw blade I wear out to many 1/2" ones cutting curves.

Russ

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I always enjoy your builds, very creative...and so not afraid to step off that cliff.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I'm eager to see the "epoxy" process! Can I guess that you use a clear resin? Self leveling would be cool?
Neat Stuff!
Gene

Geeze

Reaction score
Can I guess that you use a clear resin?

Yes, but I've also been known to throw in metalized powders for a tint. I'm chewing on gray or black.

Only bitch with the 'art' grade epoxy is the looooooonnnnnnnggggg cure time. Other than that it's real easy to work with. I'm going to put Bluesbreaker grill cloth vertically aligned on this. Maybe a dab or two of airbrush work.

Russ