Connecting 2 heads into 1 cab

• Thread starter PARGO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PARGO

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have SV20H and SC20H with SV212 cab.

I want to know if there is a speaker cable that splits from the cab to these heads.

I dont want to run both at the same time.

I'm just tired of change the cable every time I want to play the other amp. (The amplifiers close to the wall and this quite annoying)

English is not my main language. I'm sorry for the mistakes.

Thank you!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hi, :welcome:to the forum...

no, do not do it like this. I mean, you can, but you might end up w/ catastrophic results, damaging an amp, &/or speakers...

They make devices that switch between amp's/cab's, that will add a load on the amp, but disconnect it from the speaker.

Gutch220

Reaction score
you can also get a 1960 cabinet, put it in stereo mode, then hook up each head to one half of the cabinet.
Otherwise you need the switcher above.
With the switcher above, I believe the amp that is not playing through the cabinet......BUT IS STILL ON........ still needs to have a speaker load as far as I know. This is why I like splitting up a 4x12, or 2x12 cabinet. For peace of mind.

maybe I'm wrong about this.

In order to have both amps ON AT ONCE, you'll need to provide a load to the non-playing amp, yo ucan buy one of these: https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/two-head-amp-switcher/
It's a switcher AND a dummy load in one box.

Last edited:

Old Punker

Reaction score
Personally, I would never do this. :nono:

With the cost of tube amps/tube amp repairs I just wouldn't take the chance of seriously damaging one of the heads. I know the switchers probably work ok but they are electrical/mechanical devices and therefore prone to failure. IMO it's probably a bad idea to place a device that breaks and then makes a connection in between your amps and cab.

I have 4 amps and 6 cabs and I often manually change connections (while everything is shut off) and I think the extra effort is a small price to pay for the added safety.

:2c:

Conghaille

Reaction score
Personally, I would never do this. :nono:

With the cost of tube amps/tube amp repairs I just wouldn't take the chance of seriously damaging one of the heads. I know the switchers probably work ok but they are electrical/mechanical devices and therefore prone to failure. IMO it's probably a bad idea to place a device that breaks and then makes a connection in between your amps and cab.

I have 4 amps and 6 cabs and I often manually change connections (while everything is shut off) and I think the extra effort is a small price to pay for the added safety.

:2c:
The Radial stuff is studio quality. I have a Headbone and an effects loop switcher. They’re both great.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have SV20H and SC20H with SV212 cab.

I want to know if there is a speaker cable that splits from the cab to these heads.

I dont want to run both at the same time.

I'm just tired of change the cable every time I want to play the other amp. (The amplifiers close to the wall and this quite annoying)

English is not my main language. I'm sorry for the mistakes.

Thank you!

Hi, :welcome:to the forum...

no, do not do it like this. I mean, you can, but you might end up w/ catastrophic results, damaging an amp, &/or speakers...

They make devices that switch between amp's/cab's, that will add a load on the amp, but disconnect it from the speaker.

I agree with Dogs. This is exactly what I use. Mine looks different because it's years old and has never failed or caused a problem. Just do it.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Use a cabinet switcher. You do NOT want to feed the output of one amp into the output of another amp.

Better yet, just don't be THAT lazy. Unplug the speaker cable going to the amp you're not using. And be sure that amp is in standby or turned off.

Alternatively, use one cabinet per amplifier.

Eric'45

Reaction score
That's a risky thing to do. I'm in a similar situation. One of my Heads is always connected to an Attenuator, that should be safe enough as a Dummy Load. If I experiment with Cabs and Heads, I always pull the Power Plug when I remove the Speaker Cable from an Amp. That way I can't accidentally switch it on.

But the solution of a professional musician would be to get a good Amp switcher.
The solution of a good Marshall Forum Member would be to get a second Cab, or four of them. 😉