• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Contemplating trading my '800 for a JMD-1

• Thread starter SkinnyJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
I know this may sound like sacrilege to some...

I've got an '84 JCM800 4104. It sounds cool, but is just a single channel amp. The one thing it does, it does well. Coupled with my modded TS-9, it sounds killer.

Here's the issue... I play in a cover band. I've heard how versatile the JMD is by the people here whom have them. My local store has one and I may check it out this weekend. It's not feasible for me to have both amps, economically.

So, keep the classic, one trick pony, or trade for an amp that is a little more versatile?

The Ozzk

Reaction score

I've got an '84 JCM800 4104. It sounds cool, but is just a single channel amp. The one thing it does, it does well. Coupled with my modded TS-9, it sounds killer.

Here's the issue... I play in a cover band. I've heard how versatile the JMD is by the people here whom have them. My local store has one and I may check it out this weekend. It's not feasible for me to have both amps, economically.

So, keep the classic, one trick pony, or trade for an amp that is a little more versatile?

Dayyyummm....

Pretty tough choice... but I will be the first to say it... (shitstorm will follow)... trade it, get what you need.

You can always pick another 800 down the road... JMD's are rare.

:thumb:

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
I'm going to check it out, and if it blows me away, I'm sure I can swing a deal. The only thing that concerns me is the SS power section on the JMD.

I don't think I'll miss the 4104 that much. I got it before I learned a lot about '800s. My dream Marshall is a 2203/2204 JMP, anyway.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I'm going to check it out, and if it blows me away, I'm sure I can swing a deal. The only thing that concerns me is the SS power section on the JMD.

I don't think I'll miss the 4104 that much. I got it before I learned a lot about '800s. My dream Marshall is a 2203/2204 JMP, anyway.

Don't be... the JMD's power section are good ole' EL34's... Even the pre-amp section has a 12AX7 that drives the digital modeling section.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
I have a JMD1: 102 / 2 x 12 combo
and I can tell you once you get the foot control selector figured out (and this takes a bit of reading and practicing)
you'll LOVE IT
what you do is build sounds then load them into the foot switch

AC/ DC - Judas Priest etc...
70's Rock 80's rock etc...

I don't use the effects, I just use the amp models
This clip below is using a tiny camera mic so it kinda sounds like sh!t
but I turn the amp around... you'll like what's on back

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gZvXytJpM]Marshall JMD:1 Model 102 / 2 x 12 100 watt Combo - YouTube[/ame]

SwampThing

Reaction score

As much as I wanted to scream on high dont do it, I understand the dilemna. Go for what you need man. 800's arent going anywhere. The only question I ask is this- The 800 is pretty much a blank canvas have you tried adding or subtracting with it to get the sounds you need? A couple of carefully placed pedals is all you may need.

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
Hmmm... For some reason I thought it was a hybrid amp. Since it is running a tube power section, I'll really have to investigate now. Too bad about the crappy enclosure, though.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
i think you should ask yourself if you need to keep up with a loud band (or cut through the mix basiclly) cause a jcm 800 does that in grace and charm.
as for versatility i find a jcm 800 versatile enough working with my guitar volume knob and a bunch of pedals...as somebody said a jcm 800 is a canvas to work on...
so when you try the amp it may sound nice in the store playing on your own which is o.k if you are a bedroom player but will it deliver the goods live??
cheers and best of luck on whatever you decide.

johnfv

Reaction score
The 4104 is high on my "the one that got away" list. How much do you want for it? :)

SpiritOfTheAge

Reaction score

Well try it and see, it does what your current amp does and a whole lot more. I have the 50 watt head version and it sounds fantastic through my 2x12 cab.

For your situation the JMD makes perfect sense. :applause:

It can be a little overwhelming at first sight so try a few of the presets and then put it into manual, dial up the jcm800 preamp and see if you can make it sound and feel like your current amp, should be a breeze.

medicjg

Reaction score
I just got a mustang 3 version 2 and it is a killer digital amplifier. Its a 1x12 combo that takes pedals very well. It has an fx loop and is very intuitive to use. I would go to your local GC and give one a try. for 300 bucks its a real steal and seems much more sturdy than the other digital amps like line 6 and peavey vypyr. It would handle gigging with a cover band like a champ after you program your presets. The effects are way better than average and it operates much like an analog amplifier and pedals. I would pick up one of these before you give up you 800... Also its 100 watts so it packs a punch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K11jhpKBnY]Fender Mustang Amps V.2 Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Cadblaster

Reaction score
Have/Had both (800's and JMD)
No contest.... Get the JMD. :)
You won't be giving up a single thing, as the JMD has an excellent 800 preamp.
Don't be shy with trying out the Midi either, pretty dam useful for the cover stuff.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Twin has one & swears by it.
el34,midi w/ fs,emu out,phones jack,line in,& preamp jack sounds hard to beat for what I do.
just between the JMD foot controller & a regular midi foot controller that would save a lot on floor real estate & pedals if you use rack gear.

I only see one (combo)on ebay currently so they must be kinda rare marketwise.
Marshall JMD501 JMD 1x12" Tube Combo Guitar Amp | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

MKB

Reaction score
One thing to consider; there are rumors that Marshall will soon issue a JMD:2 (just rumors for now though). I love the JMD; I gig with a JMD501 and also have a 100W head, but the JMD:1 does have a few shortcomings. They are:

* The particle board cabs are way too flimsy (not too bad on the heads and 50W combo, a real problem with the 100W combo)

* No way to bulk store and retrieve patches

* No way to tell from the front panel what patch you are on except for patches 1-4 or the front panel settings (you can from the supplied footswitch though)

* No ground lift on the XLR out

* The XLR out has a really hot signal

* No Univibe effect

* No 50W or 100W Super Lead model

* The HT fuse is only accessible from inside the amp

I would expect the next JMD would address some or all of these issues. That being said, the JMD is a terrific amp, it has been my main gigging amp for almost two years and has caused me to sell other Marshall tube amps as they aren't needed any more. It's still a great amp.

But if I was in the market for one now, I'd probably wait a bit to see if a JMD:2 comes out soon. If anything some folks might dump their JMD:1's and they would become less expensive and more easily available on the used market.

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
Well, it is now a dead issue, as the JMD is no longer there. :mad:

I did try a Blackstar HT-60 Soloist. It did have some nice feautres (FX loop & 10db solo boost). However, something just seemed "off" with the tone. It struck me as a little thin sounding. Also, the sweep on the gain pot seemed a little screwy. If you got to "noon" the gain would jump pretty hard.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still going the Voodoo modded JMP-1 midi preamp route if I can ever find one that isn't in the diamond encrusted,gold plated,super high on crack price range.:rolleyes:

Latest posts