Custom Cabinet Advice

• Thread starter Gourlay83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gourlay83

Reaction score
My 1960 'Vintage' just isn't cutting it so I've decided to move to a Custom Cabinet. Looking for some input/advice on specifications that people have tried and worked and what hasn't.

Bit about me
I play classic to heavy rock, usually through an original 2555 Silver Jubilee (lead channel on all the time, and use guitar volume to clean up the tone).

I gig regular, so can turn the volume up but the sweet spot of the Jubilee is always a bit louder than I ..... the singer would like.

Main Spec.
Probably stick with a 4 x 12", but would consider alternatives. No idea about baffles - where and when to use them?.

Speakers is another one i'm not sure of - to go fairly low wattage Green Backs or the higher EH 12Ls. Worried that the EV12ls will add to my volume problem.

Wiring, Jubilee is 8ohm max. but would like an option for stereo (adding another head) and ideally a big baffle to separate them.

Any thoughts on manufactures - Zilla Cabs seems to be the only option at the moment (i'm in the UK)

Really appreciate your views.
Alan

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
My 1960 'Vintage' just isn't cutting it so I've decided to move to a Custom Cabinet. Looking for some input/advice on specifications that people have tried and worked and what hasn't.

Bit about me
I play classic to heavy rock, usually through an original 2555 Silver Jubilee (lead channel on all the time, and use guitar volume to clean up the tone).

I gig regular, so can turn the volume up but the sweet spot of the Jubilee is always a bit louder than I ..... the singer would like.

Main Spec.
Probably stick with a 4 x 12", but would consider alternatives. No idea about baffles - where and when to use them?.

Speakers is another one i'm not sure of - to go fairly low wattage Green Backs or the higher EH 12Ls. Worried that the EV12ls will add to my volume problem.

Wiring, Jubilee is 8ohm max. but would like an option for stereo (adding another head) and ideally a big baffle to separate them.

Any thoughts on manufactures - Zilla Cabs seems to be the only option at the moment (i'm in the UK)

Really appreciate your views.
Alan

You are better off w/ 1X12 cabinets, maybe 2 or more.

You are better off with Fluxtone (Adjustable Magnet) speakers.
You can get Celestion or EV Fluxtone speakers.

The Fluxtone allows you to get a fully cranked tone, at a very low loudness...or full loudness.

The smaller cabinet allows you to use a less efficient speaker, thereby decreasing loudness also.
In addition the smaller cabinet is much easier / cheaper to transport.

4X12 cabinet is only loud. It was made for stadiums.
If you are not playing in stadiums, and need a very good tone at lower loudness levels...
I suggest you look at the alternatives...save transportation costs...get a better tone...without the hearing loss.

4X12 sounds good but...it's obsolete. It's too big, too heavy, and too loud for most applications.

There is better technology now, and you should use it.

Last edited:

Gourlay83

Reaction score
@ampmadscientist

Agree that 4x12's are a thing of the past and you do get some really nice/efficient 1 x 12" but... IMO you can't beat a good amp through a 4x12 - is there any need and is it too loud - in most cases yes.

I have a Fender Tweed (10" combo) and a 1 x 12" with a two rock - they both sounds great and easy to sit in a mix but... I took my Jubilee along to the last rehearsal using a friends 4 x 12 and it just rocked, everyone in the band was staggered at the tone.

Most of the gigs i do are fairly large clubs, so can get away with it.....

I think the problem is, my brain says a nice 1 x 12" and play all nice, but my heart says cranked 100w Jubilee and 4x12 - who wants to hear the drummer anyway? :)

Alan

Geeze

Reaction score
My 1960 'Vintage' just isn't cutting it so I've decided to move to a Custom Cabinet.

Hi Alan,

If you are looking at another 4x12 to solve this you are wasting your time and money. A custom cab won't fix this with the same speakers. I'd look at the sweet spot volume issue - less efficient speakers, turn the cab backwards, plexiglass shield, attenuator. Or a singer with poor hearing....

Russ

Gourlay83

Reaction score
@Geeze - The entire reason for considering another cab was on comparing my cab with a friends, believe the 1960 Vintage has some cheap knock off speakers - not the same as the 1960AV. Not 100% sure, all i know is i'm not happy with the sound of my cab.

also the Dimensions of a cab dramatically change the sound.

What i've pretty much settled on is a 2 x 12 Zilla cab, it's basically an oversized and well made 2 x 12 (so you don't lose the Bass) and will likely end of with 2 x Green Backs.

Geeze

Reaction score
What i've pretty much settled on is a 2 x 12 Zilla cab, it's basically an oversized and well made 2 x 12 (so you don't lose the Bass) and will likely end of with 2 x Green Backs.

Cab can affect the final sound product but I firmly believe the speakers are a bigger contributor to the sound. I'm currently experimenting with speakers and cabs that have too much low frequency response with the amps I'm running. One is ported and the other is not - same brand and model of speakers so they are at least close. I suspect I'll be tweaking the filtering on the amp to tune the response to taste. I'm also going to test some other speakers I don't currently own as a baseline [I've used them before]. I certainly hope the tweaking gives me what I want as I'd like to NOT buy more speakers.

Russ

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Since you have a 1960 vintage with Marshall V30's... try it as a 2x12 with only 2 speakers using the stereo option...that should equate to an oversized 2x12!

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
you can change the impedance on the transformer taps or install a 3way rotary switch to use all 3.

dreyn77

Reaction score
The EVH lunch box amp existence BLOWS your theory of a 'sweet spot', out of the water!

The sweet spot is heard front standing directly infront of the speakers.

From that location you'll realise you can turn the sound down to any level, with NO sound loss or excuses!

You're inventing your own problems.

Gourlay83

Reaction score
@dreyn77

You're saying the volume of a a 100w amp doesn't alter tone? if so, that's complete nonsense. It is well know that the problem with 100w Marshalls/any amp need to be at a certain level to get the full tone. Which makes them pretty much redundant when playing small clubs/pubs.

That's why people try attenuators etc

Anyhoo, thanks for posts on 1 x12 folks all valid points. The rest.... well, internet waffle.

I now Have a nice 2 x 12, which is sounding great and obviously much lighter than the 4 x 12 - happy days. Believe my issue with my 4 x 12 was the cheap version of the V30 speaker in the vintage cabinets.

Alan