Dangers of Wrong Impedance: A study in young misfortune

• Thread starter Clockworkmike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
Recently I was replacing the speaker cables to my amplifiers and figured Id share a quite unfortunate and cautionary tale about the dangers of plugging into the wrong inputs and wrong impedances.

In 2003, i had been playing for about 7 years but i was still young and unfamiliar with a lot of the workings of amplifiers. But i bought a brand new a Marshall Mode Four with two MF400B cabs because from local store. I told them I wanted a full stack version and they were all too happy to oblige but told me they couldnt get a slant cabinet or the MF280 series cabinets, but id like the straight MF400B cabs better anyways. What they didnt inform me of ( or rather what i wasnt self informed of as well) was the MF400 A/B cabs were 8ohm, single input cabinets and were designed to only be used in a half stack configuration with the Mode Four 350w head. In order to get the matching full stack, you would have needed two of the MF280 A or B cabinets, that were 16ohm rated each, which is what the head required to operate on.

I paid a pretty decent sum of money for the amp and took them at their word I was making a good choice. Took the amp home, set it up and began cranking up the volume, only to hear POP! about 15mins in. I freaked out, called the shop and they laughed, telling me to bring the head back and grab another.

Amazingly this one worked for about 4 months in that configuration but one day, I cranked it up again and POP! This time, i had to contact Marshall and paid to ship it to an authorized repair tech. The tech called me and asked "what in the hell have you done to this thing?! "But I told him " Nothing, I just used the amp, cabs and guitar and it blew up again!" So he repaired it and sent it back under warranty, not knowing I had the wrong cabinet and neither did I myself.

Whatever he did, managed to keep the amp together as it was a while afterwards before I began to learn about the importance of impedance and mixmatching different ohm cabinets.

These days its set up as a halfstack and works properly with no issues, while the other cabinet is being used on another amp. But it shows how unscrupulous/ignorant local dealers can sometimes be and how easily you can destroy your own gear that you bought with your hard earned money.

Take note of your gear and educate yourself on speaker loads folks, it might save ya!

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Recently I was replacing the speaker cables to my amplifiers and figured Id share a quite unfortunate and cautionary tale about the dangers of plugging into the wrong inputs and wrong impedances.

In 2003, i had been playing for about 7 years but i was still young and unfamiliar with a lot of the workings of amplifiers. But i bought a brand new a Marshall Mode Four with two MF400B cabs because from local store. I told them I wanted a full stack version and they were all too happy to oblige but told me they couldnt get a slant cabinet or the MF280 series cabinets, but id like the straight MF400B cabs better anyways. What they didnt inform me of ( or rather what i wasnt self informed of as well) was the MF400 A/B cabs were 8ohm, single input cabinets and were designed to only be used in a half stack configuration with the Mode Four 350w head. In order to get the matching full stack, you would have needed two of the MF280 A or B cabinets, that were 16ohm rated each, which is what the head required to operate on.

I paid a ridiculous sum of money for the amp and took them at their word I was making a good choice. Took the amp home, set it up and began cranking up the volume, only to hear POP! about 15mins in. I freaked out, called the shop and they laughed, telling me to bring the head back and grab another.

Amazingly this one worked for about 4 months in that configuration but one day, I cranked it up again and POP! This time, i had to contact Marshall and paid to ship it to an authorized repair tech. The tech called me and asked "what in the hell have you done to this thing?! "But I told him " Nothing, I just used the amp, cabs and guitar and it blew up again!" So he repaired it and sent it back under warranty, not knowing I had the wrong cabinet and neither did I myself.

Whatever he did, managed to keep the amp together as it was a while afterwards before I began to learn about the importance of impedance and mixmatching different ohm cabinets.

These days its set up as a halfstack and works properly with no issues, while the other cabinet is being used on another amp. But it shows how unscrupulous/ignorant local dealers can sometimes be and how easily you can destroy your own gear that you bought with your hard earned money.

Take note of your gear and educate yourself on speaker loads folks, it might save ya!
I wired a pair of 4 ohm speakers wrong to 2 ohms and ran it in a 4 ohm amp. Whenever the amp was cranked it blew a fuse, eventually I burned the amp up 3 times not knowing why until almost 25 years later when I learned what I did. I still have the amp and with a proper speaker load it works fine. :yesway:

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
I wired a pair of 4 ohm speakers wrong to 2 ohms and ran it in a 4 ohm amp. Whenever the amp was cranked it blew a fuse, eventually I burned the amp up 3 times not knowing why until almost 25 years later when I learned what I did. I still have the amp and with a proper speaker load it works fine. :yesway:
Glad to see im not alone here! I think thats the worst part of having an issue or mistake like this: not figuring it out until way down the road, years on, what you've done wrong and its usually something simple like this.

Glad to hear your amp is still doing well! After the rebuild, mine has managed to hang in there without any issues as well

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I was looking for high watt combo speaker and found a 200 watt Celestion PA speaker to try. Well, it was labeled 16 ohms but read 8 ohms.

So I fitted it into my 1x12 combo, and set the amp to match at 16 ohms. It blew a couple of diodes and arced one tube socket that had to be replaced
but luckily no damage to the OT. Amp was down at tech's for a month...life sucked. But I always match impedances, now. And check my speakers beforehand.

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
I was looking for high watt combo speaker and found a 200 watt Celestion PA speaker to try. Well, it was labeled 16 ohms but read 8 ohms.

So I fitted it into my 1x12 combo, and set the amp to match at 16 ohms. It blew a couple of diodes and arced one tube socket that had to be replaced
but luckily no damage to the OT. Amp was down at tech's for a month...life sucked. But I always match impedances, now. And check my speakers beforehand.
Glad you managed to save your amp! Its definitely a topic that can go unnoticed and often overlooked, especially people new to things like half stacks, full stacks or additional speaker cabinets. Im one of those people who unfortunately didnt know any better either. I remember the only warnings i ever received from when i got my first half stack was to make sure the head was properly plugged into the cabinet to avoid blowing it up. They never mentioned the dangers of imbalanced impedance

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I always thought Marshalls SOUND best at the right impedance too. I had a couple heads that complained audibly with a mismatch, they MADE me double check my settings.

Actually I’m one of those weirdos that think plexis sound best at 16 ohms too...call me crazy.

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
I always thought Marshalls SOUND best at the right impedance too. I had a couple heads that complained audibly with a mismatch, they MADE me double check my settings.

Actually I’m one of those weirdos that think plexis sound best at 16 ohms too...call me crazy.
They really do! The SLX i have sounds a million times better at 16 ohms vs the 4ohms. Amazing how something so little gets overlooked and can make or break you lol

Adieu

Reaction score
Read the manuals though

Like at least some Mesas will tell you "yeah the back SAYS 4 or 8 ohm, but you CAN plug a 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm (only) and that's a SAFE mismatch"

Apparently it depends on the amp

SlapHand

Reaction score
I played for years with a guitar cable between the amp and cab. The amp blew fuses pretty often but when I learned to use a proper speaker cable, that støpped.

The odd thing is, I think the amp sounded better with the wrong cable...

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
Read the manuals though

Like at least some Mesas will tell you "yeah the back SAYS 4 or 8 ohm, but you CAN plug a 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm (only) and that's a SAFE mismatch"

Apparently it depends on the amp
Yeah i had to do some massive research and learn a few things about impedances and matching. Ive seen Mesas explanation and its actually pretty cool. The simple rule ive learned is make sure your head is either a perfect match OR be lesser impedance than the cab. Kinda falls under the safe mismatch. Being higher than the cab is a recipe for disaster