Did I kill it?

• Thread starter jaek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaek

Reaction score
Ok still trouble shooting a Marshall DSL 50. Got new tubes, powered on and no sound at all. Turned off and the speaker wire had came unclamped in the cab. :/ The amp shoulda fried the Output Transformer but now instead of being nice and loud its acting like its half power. Could this possibly be a short in the OT or is it something else. :(

TPR

Reaction score
A more tech savvy person might correct me on this, but I don't believe you would damage a healthy OT by running without the speaker just for a minute. I don't know how many minutes would be safe, and that would probably depend on the size of the impedance mismatch and other factors. But I think if you turned it on, discovered the unplugged speaker and turned it right off, that probably did not cause a problem for you.

jaek

Reaction score
A more tech savvy person might correct me on this, but I don't believe you would damage a healthy OT by running without the speaker just for a minute. I don't know how many minutes would be safe, and that would probably depend on the size of the impedance mismatch and other factors. But I think if you turned it on, discovered the unplugged speaker and turned it right off, that probably did not cause a problem for you.

not exactly. it was on for about five minutes and were were jiggling the volume pot (up to max volume) cause thats what we thought it was,while i was playing.

Procter2812

Reaction score
Yeah its probably your OT

Happened to me in a different way....

Does it sound Fuzzy and thin and half power?

Alex

jaek

Reaction score
Yeah its probably your OT

Happened to me in a different way....

Does it sound Fuzzy and thin and half power?

Alex

YES! Exactly! Thin and fuzzy and weak and like a Line 6 Spider!

TPR

Reaction score
How do the power tubes look? Still in good condition and light up when on?

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's extremely devastating to an output transformer. It's damaging to your output tubes as well but you do need to replace it. It's fried, sorry dude.

I'd replace the tubes first, you're going to need new ones anyway. Check the fuses, they should have blown. I'm surprised they didn't. Sometimes a DSL will shut itself off if there is an extreme impedance mismatch, in your case, no load at all so make sure you check your speaker cabinet as well to see if the load is correct.
Are you matching impedance correctly?

Procter2812

Reaction score
YES! Exactly! Thin and fuzzy and weak and like a Line 6 Spider!

Yeah thought so.... Your OT gone... sorry man :(

They are around £80 or so.

take it to a tech and let him decide.

Get him to check C46 ( could be different on the 50 watter)
Its on the main board next to the last power valve (V6). Its a ceramic cap which can blow when the OT goes as the voltage rating of the cap is lower than it should be.

Hope you get it fixed soon dude!

Alex

jaek

Reaction score
Yeah thought so.... Your OT gone... sorry man :(

They are around £80 or so.

take it to a tech and let him decide.

Get him to check C46 ( could be different on the 50 watter)
Its on the main board next to the last power valve (V6). Its a ceramic cap which can blow when the OT goes as the voltage rating of the cap is lower than it should be.

Hope you get it fixed soon dude!

Alex

ordered this... 50 Watt Mercury Magnetics Axiom® Output Transformer For Marshall DSL / TSL + MAR50-O

Gonna Check C46, I know how to bleed off the caps and all so i should be good.

Output tubes are good, brand new set waiting around, Fuses were checked yesterday with a multimeter and are good.

jaek

Reaction score
Anybody have anything else to add? the Output transformer gets here Tuesday.

jaek

Reaction score
IT LIVES! Replaced the OT with a mm and it sounds good as new...wait better than new and the distortion channel is 50% quieter!(white Noise!) Really nice sound now too!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
That's one of the few things I dislike about the DSL/TSL. Marshall decided to use cheesy transformers.:(:(:(

jaek

Reaction score
That's one of the few things I dislike about the DSL/TSL. Marshall decided to use cheesy transformers.:(:(:(

Yeah, but problem solved! Oh and I definitely recommend upgrading even if its working, the difference is amazing!

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercury Magnetics is the way to go. Glad everything worked out for you.

That was pretty quick!