Dirty Shirley, Little or Twin Sister. Do they thump?

• Thread starter Joblogggs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joblogggs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking at a Friedman Twin Sister that’s come up for sale (a little too far away to try out). I’m pretty attracted by the two channels and the MVs which I hear are excellent.

Thing is, I’m REALLY after that serious bass end thump you can get in a 1987x or to a different or lesser degree, a JTM45.

Do the Twin Sister and its other related Friedmans have it? Or being JTM45 flavoured in the back end, are they still too woolly to have what would be called a thump?

And for that matter, will they also have that beautiful warmth and sparkle that a JTM45 has? The main use will be clean to a little breakup, as a pedal platform.

Thanks if people have experience of both and can help!

mtm105

Reaction score
I have both Little Sister and Fargen Mini and Mighty Plex 12W and 30W.

For the $$, used....the Fargen is a much better sound than Friedman. Both about $1K on used market. Fargen has quality components, big big glass. More vintage JTM vibe. Total facemelt.
Friedman moves a lttle lower bass ooomph!!

Crikey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking at a Friedman Twin Sister that’s come up for sale (a little too far away to try out). I’m pretty attracted by the two channels and the MVs which I hear are excellent.

Thing is, I’m REALLY after that serious bass end thump you can get in a 1987x or to a different or lesser degree, a JTM45.

Do the Twin Sister and its other related Friedmans have it? Or being JTM45 flavoured in the back end, are they still too woolly to have what would be called a thump?

And for that matter, will they also have that beautiful warmth and sparkle that a JTM45 has? The main use will be clean to a little breakup, as a pedal platform.

Thanks if people have experience of both and can help!
Friedman runt 50 can get the thump

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have the Twin Sister and the Smallbox. Although you can tighten up the TS with a SS rec plug and the new bright switches the SB is the amp you want if you are looking for 1987 type tone and feel, since that is what it is based on. For ‘thump’ you might want to check out a Runt or a BE.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have both Little Sister and Fargen Mini and Mighty Plex 12W and 30W.

For the $$, used....the Fargen is a much better sound than Friedman. Both about $1K on used market. Fargen has quality components, big big glass. More vintage JTM vibe. Total facemelt.
Friedman moves a lttle lower bass ooomph!!
Fargen makes/made some good amps—I had an Olde 800 for a long time. Disagree they sound better than Friedmans. I’ve never had one of the little Friedman amps tho.