HDRX problems 50w Plexi options

• Thread starter JohnnyBandera
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I was going to suggest looking for a Germino but I see it's been mentioned.

I have a Lead 55LV which is his take on a 1987 circuit. Highly regarded builder for Marshall circuits.

Sigs

Reaction score
I was going to suggest looking for a Germino but I see it's been mentioned.

I have a Lead 55LV which is his take on a 1987 circuit. Highly regarded builder for Marshall circuits.
Why not just build a JTM45/100.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
Why not just build a JTM45/100.
I may or get a clone one day but I have the VM 2466 which gives me the kt66 thing and sort of the jtm 45/100 thing, and the hdrx 20 which is similar to a jtm 45. My interest in the PRS was it was that it was based on the super lead Jimi used with modifications, Paul said it had a jtm 45/100 circuit or a hybrid. My interest in the 1987 plexi is mainly for a small box with the plexi sound.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
Id get a Germino Monterey, and see if he will do the Dickinson Amp Mods, and never look back. And run KT66s. Real ones, if possible.
If not that one.
50w Germino Club 40.
For all intents and purposes, you wont find a more accurate amp than a Germino Monterey-Dickinson Mods, for early Hendrix, and also a good deal of studio stuff.
1966 JTM45/100 #7026, was Jimis favorite amplifier, and early on, when running multiple amps, it was always the first one, he plugged into. It was the amp he used at Monterey, along with 2 Fender Dual Showmans-4 x 15 JBLD130Fs.
He retired it to the studio, in 68, because he was afraid it would get stolen, or damaged.
For early Marshall circuits, Germino, is about as good as it gets, especially if one uses all NOS Tubes, and bias the amp at 110v - 112v, get a good voltage regulator, and a Brownbox, and run the amp, at 110-v-112v. For all intents and purposes, it is a good sounding, JTM45/100, as it would have sounded new. Albeit, Speakers make a huge difference, as well as cabinet(s), and grill cloth, can even have a bit of an impact. A lot of people feel those early Pinstripe cabinets, are the best sounding, Marshall ever made.
Both are on my wish list, I think the Germinos are a little over my budget right now unfortunately.

ampeq

Reaction score
Have you looked at any of these? I like the Plexi All Access, but they have a lot of great amps and all can be modified to suit your tastes. Like a PPIMV, 3 way bright caps, buffered loops, 1/2 and 1/4 power switches, pretty much anything you want. Take a good look at these and contact Nik, the owner, you can’t go wrong with just about anything they make.

I have and love their Hotrod Plexi amps, very nice sounding for my liking but may be too much for what you’re after. Well worth a look though.

Last edited: