The slap in the face for marshall : HDRX 20

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Gibsons. Birds. Electrics. No?

I have one each of the above and they have birds on them. Right on the pickguards, just like Gibson Doves, Hummingbirds, etc.
A bird subtly embossed on the pick guard . Not loads of birds gauged into the neck .

Mcentee2

Reaction score
Does anyone with a HDRX 20 know what the bright cap value is on that toggle - looking at the only gut shot I can find on the web it's a small ceramic on the main board C20 ?

Wondering if it's more like 100pF than a 4700pF - and seems to be on/off rather than between two values.

download.jpeg

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
Thanks! Nice playing.
And it doesn't sound terrible.

But you're playing primarily leads (single notes) and that's what hides the flaws of this amp imho.
My gripe with all the demos was the crunch and even higher gain sound when people played some rhythm stuff, AC/DC chords etc..
Then the amp sounded like it's broken or it has a fuzz pedal built in. Not like a Marshall (at least to me).

I guess that's a matter of personal taste.

Ed had his own signature amps line, so he would never have shilled for it.

Besides that, Marshall has the SV20 and you can get EVH sounds out of it:

Thank you, I’m done reading this thread now.
My SV20 is staying it’s me that needs some work not my equipment. Brett is cool

I will add , I have a Rivera Rock Crusher Recording so I can control volume if needed. Although I’ve only used the Rock Crusher on my ‘73 JMP 50

ssolo8

Reaction score
that's not it, why is marshall not diging into copying famous artists plexis with their mods and giving us small boxes with master volumes ?

Just imagine a mini 20w steve vai plexi with the josé mods (that was his recording amp)... and a master volume that doesn't suck that would sell a lot...
I don't think of Plexi when I think of Steve Vai. I just think of a swarm of angry Buzzing Bees. Def not the first guy I think of when I think of Marshall.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
My next build will be a 18watt el84 plexi with a 68 board design. It will be way smaller in overall size than the sv20h, will it sound as good ? well we will see in the future.
I built one like that, it sounds very good! Does it sound like a real jmp? Im not sure, but i really like it. I guess thats what matters

Mystic38

Reaction score
Well, I always fancied a Vintage Modern with a smaller footprint for downstairs..

...just didn't know i should check out PRS for one..