1963 SG (Les Paul) Standard Refinished with Repo PAFs??

Pave Dog

Reaction score
I was offered this 63 Les Paul, it has been refinished, a neck reset, several of the parts are reproduction parts. The pickups are odd as I have not seen reproductions that put the PAF stickers on them? I believe the bridge and tuners are reproductions, although he claims the Klusons are real, along with the plastics, and the last fret is missing. The pots date to 61. According to the person that owns it he has had it for 15 years and the refinish was done before he owned it. Not sure how to value this one as the refinish is not great either.

Any thoughts on what is worth, or if it is worth buying?

63SG -1.jpg63SG -2.jpg63SG -4.jpg63SG -5.jpg63SG -6.jpg63SG -9.jpg63SG -10- heel.jpg63SG -12- heel.jpg63SG -14- pickup.jpg63SG -13- pickup.jpg

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
It is certainly worth something and obviously the unoriginal hardware and finish drops the value from the early ‘60s LP/SG. I don’t know what the market is but I’d consider it no more valuable than any ‘70s Norlin SG given its history.

Also, the big vibrola is a real liability in terms of practical playing. These were one of the decisive “features” that ruled any true ‘67 V purchase/investment off my radar. ABR, Nashville or Wraptail… the rest are more of a hassle.

Pave Dog

Reaction score
It is certainly worth something and obviously the unoriginal hardware and finish drops the value from the early ‘60s LP/SG. I don’t know what the market is but I’d consider it no more valuable than any ‘70s Norlin SG given its history.

Also, the big vibrola is a real liability in terms of practical playing. These were one of the decisive “features” that ruled any true ‘67 V purchase/investment off my radar. ABR, Nashville or Wraptail… the rest are more of a hassle.
Thanks, I agree I am not a fan of the vibrola either. He is asking 3k for the guitar.

nevermind

Reaction score
Is the old wood and the SN from the 60's worth $2-2,200? Otherwise "to me", it's an $800 guitar...

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
There is no binding on the neck. These guitars came with binding if they were Specials, Standards or Customs. Only the Juniors came with no bindings on the neck. Something is off on this guitar.

Pave Dog

Reaction score
Thank you, I totally missed that. BTW, love your speakers, especially appreciate you working with me on Risson restoration of a low watt amp and creating the best speaker for that 1X12, it sounds amazing.

And I agree, there is a lot off about this guitar.