• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Discussion area for all vintage Marshall amps. From 1962 to 1973

• Thread starter JayCM800
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JayCM800

Reaction score
"Let's Talk Vintage-Discussion area for all vintage Marshall amps. From 1962 to 1973."

How come most posts in this section are about 77s to early 80s? Time to add a section? Change the description? Read before posting?

:confused:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've NEVER played through a REAL (60's - 70's) Marshall, just clones. I would LOVE to try a late 60's 1959 or JTM45

jlknapp505

Reaction score
I have an older Marshall amp, 50w/channel, not sure of the date of manufacture. It appears to work fine except that I don't get much volume from treble strings. I first noticed this with my Strat, thought I should perhaps change strings or adjust the height of the pickups. But while I was considering what to do, I plugged in a bass guitar and noticed the same thing. So my question is this: is there a problem with frequency response involving Marshall amps? Any ideas to start checking on?:wtf:

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Vintage marshalls are magical. I played a 68 Superbass through a 67 Pinstripe cab.

They help get you into the zone.

I'm saving my pennies for a REALLY perfect 69 plexi panel superlead. Its going to take awhile.

Clare

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 1969 Marshall amp Master Lead Combo serial number A13608. I bought it 6 years ago when I was in my first band not knowing at the time how old it was. I don't really know anything about Marshall Amps from that period. Could anyone please tell me anything about about them? I would be very much appreciated for any information. :)

tone seaker

Reaction score
Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
I have a 68 super trem and twp 4x12 basketweave cabs. I recorded my last CD with a half stack and gig with it constantly. Here is a picture and you can hear it from my CD in the "my music" link in my signature or hear it live in the video bellow

here it is waiting to fire off at a gig
SSPX4919-1.jpg

video of it in action

Last edited:

tonyl

Reaction score
I never played with a vintage amp from Marshall. Only a Supergroup from Laney, the poor man's plexi :)

surfguy13

Reaction score
The best thing about an old Marshall is that you put virtually any guitar through it and they all sound good. I have a '67 Super Lead 100 and it just sings with all my guitars - old tele, old LP Deluxe with mini humbuckers, a modern LP with full humbuckers, and an old SG Junior with a P90. It even sounds great with an acoustic using an LR Baggs soundhole. This amp is used every day and has never let me down - for me, this is the difference between the old ones and the newer ones.

TradAmpGuy

Reaction score
The best thing about an old Marshall is that you put virtually any guitar through it and they all sound good. I have a '67 Super Lead 100 and it just sings with all my guitars - old tele, old LP Deluxe with mini humbuckers, a modern LP with full humbuckers, and an old SG Junior with a P90. It even sounds great with an acoustic using an LR Baggs soundhole. This amp is used every day and has never let me down - for me, this is the difference between the old ones and the newer ones.

Not only do they sound great with any guitar... every guitar sounds different as well. I've heard too many amps these days that make every guitar sound the same.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
had a 73 superbass..that amp was a sweet sounding beast.Although it had the sweetest tone it was loud as fuck i mean stupid loud.

Latest posts