Do all amps sound bad when used with headphones?

• Thread starter KISS NATION
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zedder

Reaction score
I use my MG30DFX everyday with headphones, but not in a way it was meant to by manufacturer I guess. My MG´s emulated headphone output is connected to a small cheap Behringer mixer because I use a different backing track sources and I also sing when I play. I have found that it is necessary to turn up signal level and treble little bit on guitar channel.

I´m planning to buy a DSL1 or JVM1 (head probably) and I hope their headphone outputs (speaker emulation) are at least as good as MG30´s.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeh like everyone here said its normal.. Headphones just do not re-create the guitar tone we all know and love.. It would sound better with an Emulated Line Out and an EQ between the amp and headphones (to shape the sound) but it will never sound great !

pleximaster

Reaction score
Do all amps sound bad when used with headphones?

I would have to say YES!

(Digital and modulatoramps sound better in headphones then tubeamps...)

loveboat

Reaction score
At home I use my TSL60 with its direct line out (XLR), into my mixer and then via USB into my computer etc.

I get acceptable sound that way. But it still can't compare to unleashing it through the 4x12.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I agree withw everyon bringing up modelers like the PODs since they were designed for FRFR speakers, includinf headphones.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
thanks again for all the help guys.
the only other option I have is to turn the volume down low.
too low and you can't hear anything, the primary tone from the guitar is louder if you have the amp turned down too low.
then again, if it's a little too loud then it's time to plug the headphones in, and bring on the crap sound.

just to clear something up, I don't have to turn the volume down so I don't upset the neighbours or disturb my better half in the next room.
it's just that I am in the process of learning to play a few new songs, and we must all know how awkward that can sound when you can't quite play a song right or get it to sound right.
so the headphones are simply used for a bit of private practice.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
yeh like everyone here said its normal.. Headphones just do not re-create the guitar tone we all know and love.. It would sound better with an Emulated Line Out and an EQ between the amp and headphones (to shape the sound) but it will never sound great !

Sure they can! All you have to do is plug headphones into your ipod and fire up some Hendrix to know that the frequency responce is there.
However, most amp companies just don't put that much consideration into the headphone outlet. I think they adjust the signal to a level proper for phones and call it good. Line 6 stuff is probably the best because they have made it their bread and butter since they started to refine digital signals. Their amps are basically stereo speakers with a headphone jack, if that makes sense. I've never heard of anyone changing out L6 speakers, because that's not where they get their sound. They get it from a computer, basically, all processed and ready to go to whatever outlet it's headed to, via either a power amp, line out or headphones.
Just a theory, though.
Way too much writing for "just a theory", eh?

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
Would a compressor help? e.g. Boss CS-3
On guitar amps, I never really trusted the speaker signal in a headphone. I don't think it's good for your ears?

mariosoldano

Reaction score
I have a marshall MG30DFX that is pretty much brand new.
but every time I plug my headphones in to the amp, it sounds terrible.
I even took it to a guitar shop to have the line out socket checked, and so I could try a few new pairs of headphones with it before I bought them.
the line out socket is fine and I tried some very expensive pairs of headphones, but every pair sounded terrible.

I know there is going to be some sound difference when the speaker is right in your ear, even more so if you are using noise cancelling headphones.
the last thing I wanted was to spend more money on a pair of headphones and to then find that I had the same problem.

is this just a problem with my amp or is this something you have to think about with all amps?
I also had a line 6 spider IV 15 which also sounded terrible when used with headphones, even though I have changed the headphones since then.
but as I said before, I tried my amp with several pairs of cheap and expensive headphones and they all sounded just as bad.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

it is true. most amps sound bad with earphones!!

thats the way it is.

mario:)

Billie68

Reaction score
Bottom line, Marshall Amps are made to be Amplified loud through a 2x12 or 4x12 no matter what model It Is. I have a Vox AD120H (The Blue Valvetronix) which was the 1st era of their Modeling Amps, Which I bought New, & It sounds Really, Really good through the Headphones. If memory serves me, I think It was designed by Roland which is what you want for Digital Headphone kind of stuff, & they nailed It With the Blue Valvetronix. If you want a good headphone sound, you need something else than what you have, Just my opinion, & my experience with things.