Does anyone here play a Mesa Rectifier?

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Old Punker

Reaction score
After plugging in to my two channel Rev. G Dual Rec a few weeks back, I've been having A LOT of fun with it. The most misunderstood amp of time. So many GREAT tones. I was using Orange channel + Silicone Diode + Bold. Just a classic monstrous sound.

BUT - decided to turn to the Red channel and I'm finding I like it just as much. With a Boss SD-1 clean boosting the front, I'm getting some REALLY nice cut ( no notorious Rec sizzle with high treble, mids, presence) and massive punch. Some of the dials (treb/mids) I choose to keep at zero, which keeps the top end nice and smooth with a lot of cut still. A tiny bit of Presence adds a bit of glassiness which works amazing when cutting the top end off. The amps already have a huge amount of grind/sizzle and don't need ANY help with more from the dials. This EQ (visually) wouldn't make much sense to many, but trust me, this works great at low volume and fantastic with high volume.

The sceneraio that is all about using your ears and not your eyes - this is it 100%.

Any Rectifier players around these neck of the woods?
Yes
Rectifier_resize.jpg

Series II Single Rectifier. The 2x12 has Mesa V30's (UK made).

I use a Maxon OD808 in front usually, and sometimes an SD-1. I like the Vintage mode best. I find the Recto cab is great for hard rock/metal but it doesn't work as well for mid gain stuff (like a lot of punk or classic rock). When that is the case I just plug into my two Mesa 1x12's (with C90's) beside it.

I've never tried the settings you're talking about. I usually like the grind/sizzle, but last week it started to seem a little overpowering while playing some lower gain stuff. My presence is usually fairly high and mids 10:00 - 1:00, highs 1:00 - 2:00.

@Neptical what type of music are you playing with those settings? When you say 'low volume' do you mean low basement volume (like around 85 dB)?

DJGranite

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about the Stiletto's over the years, and those open/closed cabs are supposed to sound great. Besides my 2x12 Recto cab I also have two Mesa Widebody 1x12's, one open back and one closed back, which sit one on top of the other. I'm trying to get an effect similar to the type of cab you have (but with two less drivers).
I've found EVM-12Ls make for mix with the Celestions in this cab so now I keep my eyes open for old EV monitors, they tend to be reasonably priced and many are loaded with EVM-12L speakers.
I got 3 EV Monitors, Gibson soft case, boom mic stand, cord and a Shure SM57 mic... $110.
The monitors were old, worn and dusty.
20210714_194602 1.jpgBut inside I found these
20210714_190146 (1).jpg20210714_192028 (1).jpgNow I keep watch for them on Craigslist and FB Marketplace
Just a thought ...

Neptical

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I haven't tried my Single rectifier without the FX loop. Maybe I should?
Where to put the reverb/delay?

Last in the chain out front. I still use my old TC Nova series which are extremely clean and non-coloring.

I use a Maxon OD808 in front usually, and sometimes an SD-1. I like the Vintage mode best. I find the Recto cab is great for hard rock/metal but it doesn't work as well for mid gain stuff (like a lot of punk or classic rock). When that is the case I just plug into my two Mesa 1x12's (with C90's) beside it.

Right on! Honestly, I've never used a Maxon OD808. I've spent years with the SD-1 and pretty much know what's it's going to do for me in to any amp. One of those desert island pedals. Lol

I've never tried the settings you're talking about. I usually like the grind/sizzle, but last week it started to seem a little overpowering while playing some lower gain stuff. My presence is usually fairly high and mids 10:00 - 1:00, highs 1:00 - 2:00.

Yeah, those settings would be maddening for me! Lol
I think coming from years of playing Mark Series Boogies, I still like fat, punchy tone with a little bit of scoop for good bottom - BUT still with good grind. It's a tricky balance! Again, thankfully that SD-1 is such a huge help.

@Neptical what type of music are you playing with those settings? When you say 'low volume' do you mean low basement volume (like around 85 dB)?

Metal/Punk/HC mix but I play everything (jazz,blues,Latin) 85db sounds about right although I really had those tubes hot today.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
There was a time when I had two 3 channel Triple Rectifiers at the same time. I set one up with all EL34s, and the other all with 6L6s.

Tried them side by side...and the difference was difficult to notice. It was small enough to not ever worry about it again.

Neptical

Reaction score
There was a time when I had two 3 channel Triple Rectifiers at the same time. I set one up with all EL34s, and the other all with 6L6s.

Tried them side by side...and the difference was difficult to notice. It was small enough to not ever worry about it again.

I had replaced my original 6L6s with EL34s in my Single Rectifier just for experimenting. Quite a noticable difference in that amp as it really gave the top end some very nice sparkle. It also helped for leads. OTOH - I lost that big(ger) bottom end. This was noticeable when the amp was fired up on a stage.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I haven't tried my Single rectifier without the FX loop. Maybe I should?
Where to put the reverb/delay?

I'm not familiar with the Single Rec, but with the Dual & Triple disabling the FX loop also disables the Master Volume, so each channel's Level is now the Master Volume. It definitely opens up the amp.

As far as effects like Delay and Reverb you're kind of stuck unless you re-amp (or can tolerate them out front). I'm sending the Slave Out (Line Out) on the back of my Triple to a Fractal effects until then out to a stereo Matrix poweramp, then to 2 additional cabs. That keeps the center cab 100% dry and the Left & Right cabs 100% wet.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Last in the chain out front. I still use my old TC Nova series which are extremely clean and non-coloring.

Right on! Honestly, I've never used a Maxon OD808. I've spent years with the SD-1 and pretty much know what's it's going to do for me in to any amp. One of those desert island pedals. Lol

Yeah, those settings would be maddening for me! Lol
I think coming from years of playing Mark Series Boogies, I still like fat, punchy tone with a little bit of scoop for good bottom - BUT still with good grind. It's a tricky balance! Again, thankfully that SD-1 is such a huge help.

Metal/Punk/HC mix but I play everything (jazz,blues,Latin) 85db sounds about right although I really had those tubes hot today.
Just a few days ago I was looking for a Scorpions tone on the Vintage channel with my OD808 out front and just couldn't quite get there. It sounded like there was a blanket over the amp. So I swapped it out for my SD-1 and instant Scorpions. I used to think SD-1 for Marshalls and TS type pedal for Mesas, but I guess that's not always the case.

Crikey

Reaction score
I had a rectoverb head for a few years. It was ok but it wasnt a Marshall. Back then I really didnt understand boosting so maybe I missed out on a lot of the potential of the amp. It was fine for crushing rhythm but disappeared when Id go into a lead
I still dont boost. I have tube screamer and a tube king
When to boost?

Neptical

Reaction score
Just a few days ago I was looking for a Scorpions tone on the Vintage channel with my OD808 out front and just couldn't quite get there. It sounded like there was a blanket over the amp. So I swapped it out for my SD-1 and instant Scorpions. I used to think SD-1 for Marshalls and TS type pedal for Mesas, but I guess that's not always the case.

That SD-1 is just absolute perfection for every application! I always thought it was all about the TS for Boogies, but the SD-1 has actually kept me away from even trying it for many years now.

Old Punker

Reaction score
That SD-1 is just absolute perfection for every application! I always thought it was all about the TS for Boogies, but the SD-1 has actually kept me away from even trying it for many years now.
It's also the least expensive pedal I've bought, but it gets a lot of use.

clutch71

Reaction score
I had a Rectoverb combo (paired with a 2x12 Recto cab) and Rev G Dual Rec (paired with a 4x12 Recto slant cab) and "outgrew" them at a time when I had to flip gear. I am keeping an eye out now for a Rectoverb.

Recenty I saw Life of Agony here in Columbus and the guitar player had a rectifier and Mark V (or maybe the JP version) that I beleive were running in stereo and sounded awesome.

It's a Coke/Pepsi. Mustang/Camaro, Fender/Gibson argument.

Last edited:

Neptical

Reaction score
I had a Rectoverb combo (paired with a 2x12 Recto cab) and Rev G Dual Rec (paired with a 4x12 Recto slant cab) and "outgrew" them at a time when I had to flip gear. I am keeping an eye out now for a Rectoverb.

Recenty I saw Life of Agony here in Columbus and the guitar player had a rectifier and Mark V (or maybe the JP version) that I beleive were running in stereo and sounded awesome.

It's a Coke/Pepsi. Mustang/Camaro, Fender/Gibson argument.

Right on! I have both amps you owned. I'm finding myself really delving back in to Recto land. There's just nothing like that sound at all. When you know how to control them ( EQ, boost, etc), they become a VERY addictive amp to play. More versatile than they get credit for.

A Recto and a Mark is a beautiful combination. Funny that I've never put my Marks/Recs in stereo...as of yet! Talk about hitting great tones at every angle. 🤟

Good luck on getting another Rectoverb! Come back and post your NAD on that.🤟

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
The big thing for me, especially in my 40s, is Mesa doesn't annihilate my hearing like Marshall does. Those extreme highs and upper-mids of my 800, even when tamed, can still be an assault on my ear drums.

Deftone

Reaction score
The big thing for me, especially in my 40s, is Mesa doesn't annihilate my hearing like Marshall does. Those extreme highs and upper-mids of my 800, even when tamed, can still be an assault on my ear drums.
I hear ya....my 800 is bright. Marshall/Mesa Combo in stereo sounds pretty good though.

I had replaced my original 6L6s with EL34s in my Single Rectifier just for experimenting. Quite a noticable difference in that amp as it really gave the top end some very nice sparkle. It also helped for leads. OTOH - I lost that big(ger) bottom end. This was noticeable when the amp was fired up on a stage.
I might have to try that....Mine could use a little more top end. Have to try the TS in front too. I don't have a DS-1 but no SD-1. I do have a BBE Stinger that usually I run in the loop that can add some highs as well. I don't use the Mesa loop since it fried my MXR 10 band EQ's...but maybe I'll try it in front.

Last edited:

Neptical

Reaction score
I might have to try that....Mine could use a little more top end. Have to try the TS in front too. I don't have a DS-1 but no SD-1. I do have a BBE Stinger that usually I run in the loop that can add some highs as well. I don't use the Mesa loop since it fried my MXR 10 band EQ's...but maybe I'll try it in front.

I probably should've mentioned, I used EL34s in my Single Rectifier 20 years ago and that was with NO clean boost. Partially, I was also looking for a smoother cut from the Rec. Knowing what I know about these amps, it's tone heaven keeping the 6L6 in there with the SD-1 as a clean boost. I do also have an MXR 10 Band EQ in my loop ( minimal mix at like 9'oclock) which does pretty good for low volume playing - but, I notice that as soon as you unplug it from the loop, the amp seems to open up and fill out. Yeah, the loops are nothing friendly like my Marshalls. lol

Deftone

Reaction score
I probably should've mentioned, I used EL34s in my Single Rectifier 20 years ago and that was with NO clean boost. Partially, I was also looking for a smoother cut from the Rec. Knowing what I know about these amps, it's tone heaven keeping the 6L6 in there with the SD-1 as a clean boost. I do also have an MXR 10 Band EQ in my loop ( minimal mix at like 9'oclock) which does pretty good for low volume playing - but, I notice that as soon as you unplug it from the loop, the amp seems to open up and fill out. Yeah, the loops are nothing friendly like my Marshalls. lol
I tried lowering the loop to like 7-8 o'clock and I fried another one.....lol. I want to do the mod, I like having a normal loop.

Anyway I just stacked everything in front and holy crap it sounded good. Basically the whole front row here.....

Pedalboard23.JPG

The Stinger really brightened up the top end and then I hit the MXR 10 and really filled out everything. Forgot to try the Drop pedal tho....damn. Next time.

Neptical

Reaction score
I tried lowering the loop to like 7-8 o'clock and I fried another one.....lol. I want to do the mod, I like having a normal loop.
Oh geez! 😂

Anyway I just stacked everything in front and holy crap it sounded good. Basically the whole front row here.....

Nice! I just found a happy accident stacking TWO Boss SD-1's ( old yellow and anniversary) set different so I can control the EQ a little better and pull back the gain a bit more on the Rec. Never thought to even try this but it's awesome.

The Stinger really brightened up the top end and then I hit the MXR 10 and really filled out everything. Forgot to try the Drop pedal tho....damn. Next time.

Nice tools you got to work with! I really need to try out that Drop. I've been jonesin'to try that out forever now!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Mesa-Boogie Road King 2 (with dual rectification) here; love this amp; so many way to customize the sound.
I don't own any of the Marks, but Mark V is great. I also tried the TC100 and TC50-love them, too.
Dual Rec and Triple Rec are also high on my list.

Latest posts