Does anyone know about mods for the Haze?

• Thread starter PRSCustom24
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joska

Reaction score
Or Marshall could have just addressed these issues before they released the Haze to the market. Mantra of business, "get your product out there first before anyone else does." Of course this doesn't address issues with bugs or design flaws.
in my opinion Marshy did great jobb with this amp, it is like BluesBreaker with modern flawours for me. Not to hard to dial good sounds

jack daniels

Reaction score
in my opinion Marshy did great jobb with this amp, it is like BluesBreaker with modern flawours for me. Not to hard to dial good sounds

Apparently not every Haze owner feels the same way otherwise this thread and others based around this same subject wouldn't exist. As for me, I have no horses in this race. Race on.

Joska

Reaction score
Haha, there is something strange with this brand of amp. Like Harley Davidson bikes, every time new one is lunched forums is stuffed with all kind of criticism. It seems that everyone with Strat from Ali Express haves better solutions than those factory guys in UK. I don`t say amp is perfect, just quiet happy for those classic sounds of Purple, Hendrix, Zepp thing. Especially since i started using Celestions Vintage 30 speakers with it. But i do want some better sounds at OD ch. JTM is very trebly amp(otherwise quiet close to Haze) so maybe that why Marshall wanted more darker sound at Haze? Anybody haves some preamp tube recommends? I have some TAD 7025 at home vill make update after trying them, hope they vill give so great benefit as V 30 speaker did.

Joska

Reaction score
One more thing, this is only of few forums i could find some infos about Haze mods/upgrades and according to Marshall they sold quiet a lott of them worldwide. So, some massiv problem evidence is no sens.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I wouldn't say they had massive issues with the amp, however, whenever someone says they don't like it, or they modified the amp, it was to take out the muddy and dark sounding tone the amp is notorious for.

Joska

Reaction score
Agreed, if i can? Since i own it just for few days and played it just for hour or so(is in my flat and damn loud)? Noticed that dark sound at once and connected amp to 2 x 12 V30 cab, next is to try out tubes. One guy told me that OT is lousy and amp need choke, since i like amp overall i`m considering to invest in Mercury Magnetics OT and choke. Anyone did it here? Any experience with Classic Tone OT & Chokes? I`m asking since CT charges almost half price than MM, however i know well superior sound quality of M Magnetics and no experience at all with Classic Tone ones. Any feedback welcome, please.

Last edited:

Ghostman

Reaction score
Classictone Transformers have a large following here and many swear by them. Great choice for half the cost of Mercury Magnetics.

Joska

Reaction score
Classictone Transformers have a large following here and many swear by them. Great choice for half the cost of Mercury Magnetics.
Thank you dude, no one uses them here in Scandinavia. I think i vill make order for those.

Joska

Reaction score
Here is some news, placed TAD 7025 premium grade in V1 and much of "harsh" is gone, sound overall is more solid. I find that kind of strange since there been Mesa Boogie 12AX7-A identical to 7025 kind tube?! Made request on choke and OT at Classic Tone and got this recommend for OT swap and choke add. http://www.classictone.net/40-18006.html ,and choke is this:
http://www.classictone.net/40-18058.html. I´m quiet positive that "all" Haze`s sound issues are right there? Vill give it try for this $ 70 sett while Mercury are asking astronomical $ 240 for same upgrade. Engineer Mark at Magnetic Component Inc. was very helpful with his suggestions.

Joska

Reaction score
Placed pair of mached TAD EL34 -SVT Winged C and as excepted Haze is pure nirvana to play, my Fender amp haves vacation. Made order on Classic Tone choke and OT andcan`t wait replacing stock one which is no doub as a bad tooth at amp
IMG_5314.jpegIMG_3333.jpeg

primed73

Reaction score
The fix in the CATS-00163 document from Marshall does fix the problem completely (it did in mine at least). If you get an older one it can be fixed. You can tell if one has the fix if you pull the back off and check the following parts and values:

R90 = 1M

R100 = 220K

R101 = 1M

There are caps to change as well, but the resistors are the easiest to spot on the board. This assumes the caps (C33, C60, C68 and C71) were changed when the resistors were.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely love the Haze, maybe my favorite all around tube combo of all time (all things considered). The only enduring problem mine has is microphonic preamp tubes, I can't find anything that will work in it. However I am now experimenting with a layer of Sorbothane (vibration dampening material) added to the outside of the chassis behind the speaker, and initial results are very promising. I'll report here as soon as I have time to finish the tests.

EDIT: I have never heard any bleeding from the distorted to the clean channel at any time in mine, even before the fix.

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but do you know the values of capacitors C33, C60, C68 and C71 that were replaced for this mod? I am assuming they are upgraded values?

sixstringslinger

Reaction score
does anyone have a schmatic, or instructions to add a presence control to a haze 15.? I dont like the "bright" control...its either on or off....no in between. Thats really all I can find to fault the amp with. I like it fine otherwise. It sounds great through a 4/12. Thanx, ron.

Did you ever figure out the values to add a presence control? I have both schematics and they're similar enough circuits that it doesn't look too difficult to add. I just don't know what value resistors to change when adding the presence pot.