Does DSL 20 already offer what Origin 20 has to offer? Help in deciding whether to buy (or not) an Origin 20.

• Thread starter GustHFS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GustHFS

Reaction score
Not long ago I bought my first tube Marshall, a DSL20HR, and I've been really dig it lately. Problem is, the tube amp bug has stung me again and I'm suffering from terrible AAS. I have been saying here that things are too expensive in Brazil, far beyond what you can imagine, to the point that a 2203 has the official price of the Marshall dealer in Brazil, stipulated as the equivalent of US$ 9,000, therefore without conditions to a common guy to buy one of these around here. My dream has always been to own a 2203 and a 1987X, I'm in my fifties so my thing is 70's blues/hard rock and 80's NWOBHM. But like I said, although it's not totally impossible at some point, currently my budget doesn't allow me to go beyond a few hundred dollars on every trigger pull I give beyond what is necessary for the mandatory day to day expenses.
That said, I've been watching some videos and reading some reviews of the Origin20H and what has bothered me is that I've read some comments that nothing Origin delivers is impossible for the DSL20HR to deliver as well. I've seen the Origin20H and DSL20HR around here for prices unbelievably equivalent to those charged in the US, so this ended up tormenting me to the point of wanting to have a second Marshall tube amp.
Although I also don't think that Origin actually reaches the exact sound of a Plexi, on the other hand I think of it as an excellent platform for pedals and I think its clean sound is very cool and organic, a bit different that what I hear on the DSL 20HR maybe because its proposal is not the same, even with its Classic Gain channel.
Still, I think I should have an Origin to pair with my DSL, although I'm sure both wouldn't be what I really wanted, but at least I would have two Marshalls with different characteristics and that would meet my demands for tones. What do you think? Is that really what they say, that having only the DSL would be enough, because it would make Origin somehow dispensable? I would appreciate any opinion from you guys.

Thanx in advance.

Gust​

GustHFS

Reaction score
Forgive me please, but I just saw that there was already a thread on the subject!!☹️

My fault, please moderators, delete if necessary. I promise it won't happen again.

Gust

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Get the DSL, and you will be playing Andreas Kisser. :shred2:

JCM800 + hot rod mod is a more pricey solution but the above is affordable and designed to get you there.

Origin is a pedal platform. That is why it can be augmented with pedals to sound *like* a lot of Marshall models and other gear, within limitations. Great pedal taking bang for your buck.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Get the DSL, and you will be playing Andreas Kisser. :shred2:

JCM800 + hot rod mod is a more pricey solution but the above is affordable and designed to get you there.

Origin is a pedal platform. That is why it can be augmented with pedals to sound *like* a lot of Marshall models and other gear, within limitations. Great pedal taking bang for your buck.
One could argue that the Plexi is just as much a pedal platform. Very few guitar players that matter played it without pedals. Most used it with fuzzes, Tube Screamers, Klons, etc.

The Origin is a great amp in it's own right.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
One could argue that the Plexi is just as much a pedal platform. Very few guitar players that matter played it without pedals. Most used it with fuzzes, Tube Screamers, Klons, etc.

The Origin is a great amp in it's own right.
You can but the EQ on the Origin has a range like the Jubilee which is probably more than both a Plexi and JCM combined. Also, you can completely dial out the high-end on the Origin. Plexi trebs could be on 0 and still slicing ears off.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not long ago I bought my first tube Marshall, a DSL20HR, and I've been really dig it lately. Problem is, the tube amp bug has stung me again and I'm suffering from terrible AAS. I have been saying here that things are too expensive in Brazil, far beyond what you can imagine, to the point that a 2203 has the official price of the Marshall dealer in Brazil, stipulated as the equivalent of US$ 9,000, therefore without conditions to a common guy to buy one of these around here. My dream has always been to own a 2203 and a 1987X, I'm in my fifties so my thing is 70's blues/hard rock and 80's NWOBHM. But like I said, although it's not totally impossible at some point, currently my budget doesn't allow me to go beyond a few hundred dollars on every trigger pull I give beyond what is necessary for the mandatory day to day expenses.
That said, I've been watching some videos and reading some reviews of the Origin20H and what has bothered me is that I've read some comments that nothing Origin delivers is impossible for the DSL20HR to deliver as well. I've seen the Origin20H and DSL20HR around here for prices unbelievably equivalent to those charged in the US, so this ended up tormenting me to the point of wanting to have a second Marshall tube amp.
Although I also don't think that Origin actually reaches the exact sound of a Plexi, on the other hand I think of it as an excellent platform for pedals and I think its clean sound is very cool and organic, a bit different that what I hear on the DSL 20HR maybe because its proposal is not the same, even with its Classic Gain channel.
Still, I think I should have an Origin to pair with my DSL, although I'm sure both wouldn't be what I really wanted, but at least I would have two Marshalls with different characteristics and that would meet my demands for tones. What do you think? Is that really what they say, that having only the DSL would be enough, because it would make Origin somehow dispensable? I would appreciate any opinion from you guys.

Thanx in advance.

Gust​
I don’t own either amp, but from what I’ve heard and read, over the last 5 years, these two amps are quite different when compared straight up.

No doubt one could get them closer using pedals, but what’s the point, you could say that about virtually every amp really.

GustHFS

Reaction score
No doubt one could get them closer using pedals, but what’s the point, you could say that about virtually every amp really.
I think you're right, scozz. Perhaps my perception did not capture this point, so I guess my lack of familiarity with tube amplifiers did not allow me to consider this detail. I also realized in the comparison between both amplifiers that there is a real difference between them, hence my question.

Gust

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tatzmann

Reaction score
How much is import fee to your country?

Maybe you could save up a while and import a Mojotone kit?

No instant gratification but a nice journey with
one hell of a loud ending.

If your dream is 1959/2203 you'll never be satisfied with anything else, i'm afraid.

giblesp

Reaction score
Don't know about the DSL 20, but everytime I decide to sell my DSL 401C, I end up spending a couple of hours with it.

It's not in the same league as my JVM 205H, and probably not as good as a JVM 215C.

A 215C will go used for £350-£500 ish.

Got my DSL 401C for £75. (Reverb, fx not working).

Very good value. I'm one of those that can hear a difference between the newer DSL's and the older British ones. Subjective though.

I think I mentioned to you or someone else, for your style a DSL with ts9 and/or fuzzface will suit your needs. The cleans are as good as a Fender or Vox IMO.

If you need the best cleans Marshall has, go JVM. ( I personally wouldn't need a ts9 for light gain in my JVM. But would do in my DSL) But you'll have to pay more.

GustHFS

Reaction score
How much is import fee to your country?
As soon as the equipment arrives in the country, it is taxed with 60% of the total invoice value, including the shipping costs, but eventually they may impose other additional fees as well. Apart from the big exchange rate difference, our purchasing power is very small, the minimum wage here is equivalent to US$ 270/month, so everything that is imported ends up being very expensive for us.

Maybe you could save up a while and import a Mojotone kit?
Yep, I've thought about that. It's something I need to consider, but I have no experience building tube amps, although I do have considerable experience building effects pedals.

If your dream is 1959/2203 you'll never be satisfied with anything else, i'm afraid.
Thanks for reminding me of that LOL:sadwave:

Gust

GustHFS

Reaction score
I think I mentioned to you or someone else, for your style a DSL with ts9 and/or fuzzface will suit your needs. The cleans are as good as a Fender or Vox IMO.

If you need the best cleans Marshall has, go JVM. ( I personally wouldn't need a ts9 for light gain in my JVM. But would do in my DSL) But you'll have to pay more.
I'm not much into combos, since they're all open back, I prefer heads with closed back cabs instead. But for you to have an idea of how things are around here, a new JVM210C costs the equivalent of US$ 7,500 at the prices of the official Marshall dealer in Brazil.
Marshall JVM210C - ProShows

But yeah, I like the sound of my DSL20H, its clean sound is nice and all, but it's just different from the Origin sound. Everything in DSL has gain as a threshold, and I look for something that tends to be less aggressive.

Gust

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I had the same type of plan - Origin20H and DSL20HR. I bought the Origin first as DSL was back ordered. DSL in stock but I procrastinated and COVID hit. Prices on Marshalls went up 60%. Now I’m irritated, in part with myself, that a new DSL20HR is $800 - the cost of both the O20H and DSL20HR pre COVID.

I think these two amps cover a lot of territory and are a good choice for those of us not willing or able to buy Marshall’s more expensive lamps.

I run 3 different ODs in front of my Origin and am happy with the variety of tones I like. I’m still.a bit irritated though … 60%?!?!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

Thanx in advance.

Gust​
Although I haven't played a DSL20HR I have played a DSL40CR and also have an Origin 20C. They seem to my ear very different amplifiers and it likely wouldn't be redundant to get an Origin 20H. As always, the advice is to try the Origin before purchasing if possible. But you would be hard-pressed to find anyone on this forum who would discourage you from getting another Marshall amp!

giblesp

Reaction score
The green channel of my DSL 401 is compressed, but with the gain down doesn't sound aggressive. Combine that with a TS9, and you've got pristine cleans and excellent light gain.

Haven't tried any other DSL,s extensively, tried the first non British DSL combo when it came out, it wasn't for me.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@GustHFS
Yes you need to grab an Origin 20 H
To pair up with your DSL.
They can be dialed in to sound similar, but there is enough difference to enjoy both.
I have both the Origin 50H , and Dsl40c’s.
And I love them both.

Plus you are asking the wrong bunch of people if you need another Marshall amp..
lol