Question about Marshall 4 holes and input splitters

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve never tried anything like this but what if you use an input splitter at the guitar

A - distortion pedal eq to channel one input volume 1 at 10

B - echo delay to channel 2 input volume 2 at 2-3

Could it work to use your effects without getting distorted ?

PelliX

Reaction score
Depends, your signal chain (channels) is/are still getting fused at the 2nd amplification stage (depending on how you look at it). 4-holers tend to get their dirt from pushing the PI and output sections hard which is of course downstream from your 'fusion point'.

Xabas

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve never tried anything like this but what if you use an input splitter at the guitar

A - distortion pedal eq to channel one input volume 1 at 10

B - echo delay to channel 2 input volume 2 at 2-3

Could it work to use your effects without getting distorted ?

I think that with superleads, effects like reverb/chorus/delay are much better sounding using an external unit that has fx loop (like fryette ps or power load etc) than any of their inputs because their distortion comes from the power section as opposed to modern amps' preamp section.

I use a fryette power load fx loop with my slp and it works perfectly.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If you're looking to drive the amp input hard, stick to drive based effects on the inputs. Time based effects don't work so well in overdrive.

The ideal scenario is to have an effects loop in the amp late in the signal path, where time based effects work well, and do the drive effects at the input.

However, most of the time people want a master volume in an amp that has a loop. You rarely find a 4 holer with a loop in it without a master volume mod. My answer to that is, the loop itself can be used as a master volume, too.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
If you're looking to drive the amp input hard, stick to drive based effects on the inputs. Time based effects don't work so well in overdrive.

The ideal scenario is to have an effects loop in the amp late in the signal path, where time based effects work well, and do the drive effects at the input.

However, most of the time people want a master volume in an amp that has a loop. You rarely find a 4 holer with a loop in it without a master volume mod. My answer to that is, the loop itself can be used as a master volume, too.

I’ve the Metropoulos fx loop kit but I hesitate to install it on my modded plexi because I don’t know how it will react with a phase inverter that distorts sound this much. Plus it has the diodes on the mv and the extra gain stage. Perhaps that I should give it a try or I’ll just wait to have enough bucks for a fryette or a boss attenuator.