Does putting the Graphic EQ in front or in the FX loop REALLY matter?

• Thread starter JCMRobbo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCMRobbo

Reaction score
That’s my question can someone explain to me why putting the EQ through the front or he FX loop makes a difference and what those differences really are?

cheers

jchrisf

Reaction score
It makes more impact on the tone in the loop IMO. Everything you do there is exaggerated compared to putting it in front of the amp. I did it because my Laney IRT Studio didn't have any thump.. the bass control on that amp does nothing. I put a cheap Joyo EQ in the loop and it has tons of thump now.. will shake the house. I've tried to dial in more mids with it too and the smallest adjustment makes a big difference. I like it just with the added bass tones for my usage.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
The signal chain from the guitar all the way through what comes out of the speakers are a series of gain stages.
The FX loop is a way of inserting something in those later stages. When you insert an effect in the amp's input, the effect will then be shaped by later stages, but by inserting in the FX loop, the sound has already been shaped by previous gain stages, so what ever is inserted in the FX loop can sound more pronounced.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
If you would normally place the EQ after an OD, then remember that the pre-amp is basically just an in-built, fancy, switchable OD pedal.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I, too, suggest trying it wherever you feel it gives you the best results.

I also agree with some of the explanations regarding how EQ placement in the signal chain and how the amp's internal signal flow relates to EQ placement.

For me, I when I do use one it is usually in the effects loop. I prefer the sound of the entire preamp signal passing through the EQ because the EQ parameters seem be more effective and have a better sound quality. When I run an EQ before the instrument input, it seems that the EQ changes the sound of the guitar/pickups+effects but doesn't do a whole lot to change the tone of the amp, which may or may not be what a player wants.

But as far as I see it, it usually doesn't hurt or cost anything (other than a little fun playing time) experiment with placement. Have fun and do what you think sounds best.

JCMRobbo

Reaction score
Thanks all very helpful.

I want to keep my amps tone and use the EQ to then finally tweak my over all amp tone what I’m tryin to ask is is it better to go through the FX loop with EQ or in the front. Cheers all!

Adieu

Reaction score
That’s my question can someone explain to me why putting the EQ through the front or he FX loop makes a difference and what those differences really are?

cheers

FX loop sits between preamp and power amp

It's the difference between EQing the clean guitar signal (in front) or the distorted dirt channel sound (loop)

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A post-distortion graphic EQ (I recommend a 1/3rd 31 band model like the Alesis DEQ-230 digital unit) can make more of a change to your basic tone than literally any other effects unit you can put into your chain. It can be used for dramatic tone shaping or for the little tonal tweaks that make a good tone a perfect one, and anywhere in between.

I view it as the number one tone shaping tool. Everybody should hve one and know how to use it.

wakjob

Reaction score
Does anyone use one in front and in the loop?

Only in digital modeling processors.

In fact, I was so impressed with using a 'boost EQ' in lieu of the typical OD pedal, I started using them in front of my real amps.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
If I only wanted to use an EQ as a volume boost for solos, is it generally better placed in the loop or out front for that purpose?

if you want more volume, put it in the fx and give a little bump in the frequencies you like best (mids and highs for this purpose, my suggestion)

if you want more gain, in the input.

Latest posts