Does Splawn count as a Marshall amp?

• Thread starter ZoomZilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
No. It's a Splawn. If Splawn counts as a Marshall, then some Ceriatones will as well. Does it mean it's not as good as a Marshall? No. It's a Splawn. It's based on the Marshall. They make great amps, as does Ceriatone. However, you could post about it in the "Other Amps" part of the forum. We wouldn't mind at all.

steelhorse

Reaction score
I've not personally seen or heard one but I've read that they're pretty kicking amps.

Adwex

Reaction score
The one I heard didn't sound like a Marshall. Looked like one, but didn't sound like one.

stryker59

Reaction score
nope! heare good things about them though...

sk033-skulls-33-sm.jpg

st.bede

Reaction score
well....don't flame me please...IMHO but an amp that is closely based on a marshall should be considerd a marshall type amp...el34, el84, kt66...does it get that brit crunch?...

in my mind it is either a brit or am sounding amp or a dumble or a jc120 type...but I do not want to be injured so I will go with the maj...also because my knowledge is limited

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
We're not going to flame you here..... IMO the Splawn gets the Brit crunch, but it's a Splawn. It's a great amp on its own.

Bobby Marshall

Reaction score
No. It's a Splawn. If Splawn counts as a Marshall, then some Ceriatones will as well. Does it mean it's not as good as a Marshall? No. It's a Splawn. It's based on the Marshall. They make great amps, as does Ceriatone. However, you could post about it in the "Other Amps" part of the forum. We wouldn't mind at all.

I will probably get shot for this . . . but weren't the original Marshall amps the same circuit as a Fender?

I would imagine every tube amp out there could probably trace its lineage back to Fender. And then Leo probably stole the circuit from somewhere too. ;)

I personally just want gear that sounds great and will last me until I take a dirt nap. Don't care who's name is on it as long as I own it.

MKB

Reaction score
It's not a Marshall unless Marshall made it. But clones can get mighty close. The Splawn most likely isn't a clone, isn't it a Marshall circuit taken to a certain extreme?

A long time ago I gave up on trying to replace the real thing with something else. Maybe it's just psychological, but to me a Epiphone isn't a Gibson, way different vibe. Marshalls are the same way, it's all in the vibe.

But then again, if you think your Splawn is a Marshall, then it IS a Marshall. Existentialism you know...

guitarweasel

Reaction score
I own a Splawn Quickrod....No, it's not a Marshall, but that's what Scott based it on.

Scott Splawn has long been revered as a master modder of Marshall's, his amps are a reflection of that. His amps kick major ass.......BUT, for true British sound, you can't beat an old Marshall, the non-master volume type that is. :rock:

st.bede

Reaction score
my thought is there are so many different types of Marshalls; therfore, many different sounds so, why not if an amp is really close in specs should the poor amp be excluded....

mmorse

Reaction score
well....don't flame me please...IMHO but an amp that is closely based on a marshall should be considerd a marshall type amp...el34, el84, kt66...does it get that brit crunch?...

in my mind it is either a brit or am sounding amp or a dumble or a jc120 type...but I do not want to be injured so I will go with the maj...also because my knowledge is limited

By that logic, all cars should be called Fords. There are plenty of boutique amps that are based on the Marshall circuit which was originally based on the bassman circuit. Germino, Metro, Reinhardt, Roccaforte, just to name a few.

steelhorse

Reaction score
It can be whatever YOU want it to be.

It's your amp. What you and your amp do behind closed doors in the privacy of your own home is between you two.

;)

st.bede

Reaction score
By that logic, all cars should be called Fords. There are plenty of boutique amps that are based on the Marshall circuit which was originally based on the bassman circuit. Germino, Metro, Reinhardt, Roccaforte, just to name a few.

I guess what I am saying is...what fundelmentally difines an amp is it's sound not the name plate...

does it sound like a x then it is an x

he is not saying that he want's to call his splawn a marshall but how much can he tonally understand in relationship to other marshalls

I say join the forum and talk proud...but keep in mind that different type amps sound different....for example jtm45 or jcm800 type amp....

steelhorse

Reaction score
I am going to call my amp Spawn of Evil and see how it reacts

;)

steelhorse

Reaction score
No need to concede anything my friend. I was just making a joke because I think sometimes we take this stuff too seriously and I think it's supposed to be fun.

Anyway, when I called my amp the Spawn of Evil, all it did was look at me with that blank stare.

I hate it when it does that!