Does your gear put a smile on your face?

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
It not only puts a smile on my face, but strengthens the calluses on my finger tips.
iu

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I've been spoiled to have my 1967 SG as my 3rd guitar at a very cheap price and I still have it. But I've bought and sold so many amps it is ridiculous!

My answer is YES, a big smile!! I still have my first Marshall. And although Bass has been my focus lately, I think I could be happy with just my SG and my 4010...

Cysquatch

Reaction score
Oh shit yes. I might still be on the hunt for "the one" as far as guitars go, but what matters to the 12 year old inside me is that I have a Marshall stack, and every time I plug in at the practice space or do a soundcheck out and about and hit that first big open A power chord, I just grin like an absolute goon. Part of it is finally having the black and gold monstrosity I saw all my heroes standing in front of walls of, for sure. But damn if having the sound isn't just profoundly satisfying.

mtm105

Reaction score
Mid- life crisis
Forced me to unload crappy average
to boutique. 3 Buddas, 3 Fargens, Fuchs, Lockard x2. Strat, 3 Teles, PRS x2 and an LP Studio.

I play low volumes. Age 59. Retired at 52. I gotta network & play out.

A lot buying/selling to find the tone that I like. And that is the key. i used to to own trying to find different universes.

In other words, I like Marshall minus the ice picks.

Last edited:

jmp45

Reaction score
Started out mowing lawns to buy a solid body from a buddy probably in 66 or 67. Long gone have no idea what it was. Played thru a reel to reel recorder my dad gave me. From then on it was buying and selling to get better gear. Wish I could have hung on to some of the stuff that passed thru my hands. There wasn't an option to hang on to most all of it til the 90s on except for my mid 70s Deluxe, Twin, Ovation, EP-3 and some EH stuff. Around 66 or 67 a band showed up at a local hall and the guitarist had a super lead stack. That's all it took. It's always been about the old 4 holers and will always be. Most my gigging days were in the 70s and 90s. I don't play near enough as I should, life happened so it's morphed to more collector than player these later years. Things I miss most was my double cut 58 TV Jr, 73 super lead stack, black face super reverb and my first real guitar 68 or 69 batwing SG w/vibrola stolen by a club owner I found out 2 years later.

If you are gigging watch your gear, it can disappear when you least expect it. We gigged and practiced at a local venue a year in the mid 70s. Owner told us we should take our gear out. We did and the venue burnt to the ground the next week. At least we saved our gear.

So yeah, I still enjoy the gear when I'm in the bunker but at the same time overwhelmed thinking someday I'm going to have to deal and part with it.

studio_2020A.jpg

79 2203

Reaction score
Yes, just about every time I plug in and play.
It’s not always been that way. Lack of skill and volume, crap gear, not having the right gear for the sound in my head, and not using it in a way that would bring out the sound in my head(for example using pedals for overdrive instead of the amp) all contributed to many years of frustration or just workable tone.
I’m more of an amp guy, and finding the right amps/speakers for me and using them in a way that would get the most out of them is when the smiles started happening.

Attachments

• 56F9E757-5A1C-471E-A522-0F0803C39865.jpeg
    56F9E757-5A1C-471E-A522-0F0803C39865.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 10

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
All my gear has always put a smile on my face. Even back when I first started out in circa 90-91 with an old 80's Kenwood hi-fi stereo receiver with a Rocktek Distortion pedal plugged into the microphone input through a set of 8in floor speakers I made out of some cheap MTX subwoofers with mids and tweeters. The great thing about back then is you didn't have the internet to tell you your gear sucked. You had fun and jammed on whatever you had and loved it. No dicks to suck the wind out of your sails like today. Obviously the gear I have now puts a smile on my face and is far better than what I started with. I'm very easily pleased, lucky for me.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Well I did not start playing until late in life, so I was able to buy decent gear.

But it is only recently, now that I can play a little that I realise how good my gear is.

I have a music room/studio and just love everything about it.

So yup I am smiling.

Attachments

• IMG_9764.jpeg
    IMG_9764.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9763.jpeg
    IMG_9763.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9762.jpeg
    IMG_9762.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6