DR strings dragon-skin-plus-quantum-nickel-electric-guitar-strings: Thoughts?

• Thread starter Charvel1975
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
No, never tried them as I don't care for coated (generally speaking); I do like DR though- have used Tite-Fits, Pure Blues and Sunbeam acoustics and all were very good.
They seem to make high quality strings.

PelliX

Reaction score
LOL, I have no experience with them either, but the Dragon Skin just sounds so like Snake Oil... Generally DR are good strings, though. Not my taste for electrics, but certainly nothing wrong with them. Let us know how they work out if you do go that route. :yesway:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used the Dragon Skins, but I've switched to DR Pure Blues and haven't bought anything else since.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
LOL, I have no experience with them either, but the Dragon Skin just sounds so like Snake Oil... Generally DR are good strings, though. Not my taste for electrics, but certainly nothing wrong with them. Let us know how they work out if you do go that route. :yesway:
I think "Dragon Skin" is just their cute name for whatever they coat the strings with. Some people really benefit from coated strings. For me uncoated last plenty long enough so why pay extra.
Exactly my thoughts. Over the years I've tried just about every sting brand out there and I always go back to D'addario, they have never let me down and they just "feel" right.
Strings are so subjective. I used Daddario only for like thirty years but now I will probably never go back to them. I found many other brands that sound better to my ears- including DR- although DR is not one of my regular brands.

PelliX

Reaction score
I think "Dragon Skin" is just their cute name for whatever they coat the strings with. Some people really benefit from coated strings. For me uncoated last plenty long enough so why pay extra.

Coated strings actually have some downsides, too. I don't care for them personally. Strings wear out, that's fine. It's not like I'm getting through a set every week per guitar.

Strings are so subjective. I used Daddario only for like thirty years but now I will probably never go back to them. I found many other brands that sound better to my ears- including DR- although DR is not one of my regular brands.

I always dislike DR on electrics, but loved Fender (even though they sound crisp for about a day or two of solid playing tops). On acoustics I appreciate them a bit more. I now use Roto's and EB's on all my electrics.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
A coated string helps me avoid a nickel rash flare up (cheap bangles and ear rings back in the 80's).
I use Elixir Optiwebs, which are their thinnest coating.
They do fuzz up eventually at the plectrum point, but not where my fingers and palm make contact.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Don't know about those, but I've used DR high voltage strings on all my Floyded guitars for years. They take a beating and last longer than anything I've ever put on a floyd rose.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Coated strings actually have some downsides, too. I don't care for them personally. Strings wear out, that's fine. It's not like I'm getting through a set every week per guitar.

I always dislike DR on electrics, but loved Fender (even though they sound crisp for about a day or two of solid playing tops). On acoustics I appreciate them a bit more. I now use Roto's and EB's on all my electrics.
I thought Rotos were okay but did not try all of their options. Their acoustic strings did not work for me. I also don't need the extra high E. EBs I disliked except the Cobalt but those are rough on frets according to many people. EB Aluminum Bronze acoustic were awful to my ears but some love them.
Why does EB have so many endorsers? They give acts free stuff. lol

PelliX

Reaction score
thought Rotos were okay but did not try all of their options.

I tend to use the Yellow, Orange and mainly Pink (just gauge differences). They also have the British Steel series - it has to be your 'thing' for a given guitar, but then they're really nice. Regular Roto flatwound for bass. :yesway:

Their acoustic strings did not work for me.

Agree, that's where I'll go with a lot of things, depending on which guitar we're talking about. I insist on a wound G for the Hummingbird, so that sort of narrows my options down anyway.

Why does EB have so many endorsers? They give acts free stuff. lol

Yeah, Keef isn't lying, haha. On his 'regular' 5 string setup he saves money already. The low E is the most expensive string, after all....

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I tend to use the Yellow, Orange and mainly Pink (just gauge differences). They also have the British Steel series - it has to be your 'thing' for a given guitar, but then they're really nice. Regular Roto flatwound for bass. :yesway:
I have one guitar that prefers Alloy 52. I liked the Roto UltraMag but they did not become a go to set for me.
rotosound-ultramag-type-52-electric-guitar-strings-regular-10-46-3__40912.1657734396.386.513.jpg