Good Electric Guitar For Hard Rock/Hair Metal Covers Band

• Thread starter Charvel1975
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
stellar guitar and feel. if they would just change the dang shape of these.
Mockingbirds are dead sexy killer shaped guitars! They scream hard rock to me.
Country, anyone? :applause:

KqvodrY.jpg

Eric'45

Reaction score
I have always loved the Mockingbird Shape. I have been looking out for an Original one from the late 70s/80s, but it seems like the few that made it across the Pond to Europe are not for sale.:shrug:

Recently I bought the MIK Bird that's been linked in this Thread. I really like it so far- although I suspect the one from @Jethro Rocker is even better. That's an US Custom Shop Model, isn't it?

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm still searching for another electric guitar and after having to return the new Ibanez RG421HPFM and now a defective new Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT - Chlorine Burst, I came across this PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst but seen a lot of complaints on the pickups, etc. With recent changes at my job, I have to try and stay on a budget and will probably have to buy form an online music retailer like Sweetwater as I already have the Sweetwater credit card to stay on monthly payments. I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

You can see all the gear in my signature but my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig has been the main guitar I was using at shows and practices but I'm trying to keep the miles off it and I'm definitely looking for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,000 if possible and I have a feeling I'm partial to Mahogany soundwise with maybe a maple cap for the brightness. I've also really got used the the Seymour Duncan hot rod pickup set that's in my Epiphone; JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. I would maybe like to have the option for coil splits as some of the stuff we cover almost requires a single coil kind of sound but I don't think that would be a deal breaker and I really don't care for having a single coil pickup in the middle as I find it gets in the way of my picking. The main things that are important to me is the guitar has to sound good, stay in tune, have 22 frets and be light.
Have you considered a Jackson? The black RR Pro is from '94 and was my go 80's hard rock / hair metal guitar. I saw one a while back for ~$900.00. It has a compound radius fretboard making it amazing for 80's solos.

IMG_0961-1.jpg

Phony iommi

Reaction score
80's hard rock/hair metal......Gibson doesnt come to mind
if your talking 80's roc and metal. gibson guitars werent even a thought.
Ahem...
Randy Rhodes, Carlos Cavazo Rudolf Schenker Zakk Wylde Slash James Hetfield Wolf Hoffmann Adrian Smith and KK Downing would like to have a word out back with you my good sir.
Just joking with you Rick, lots of good ideas on this thread. anyone suggest a good old fender 70s player Strat yet? Humbuckers, whammy bar and priced around $700 these days.

Phony iommi

Reaction score
https://www.espguitars.com/products/21035-gl-200mt
Actually I’d go with this for the price.
All of his signature stuff is great except that goofy zoom pedal or whatever it was from way back. Lynch is a beast and his sig guitars have rave reviews it just depends on if you want to have the same design pattern and look like him, much like the evh striped series.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yeah oddly the headstock is kinda mundane on a Mockingbird. I would have pointed it somehow. But then, I would probably install a drink holder if I designed it!

im lead to believe just about every self respecting Canadian has a drink holder hanging somewhere close by. :cheers:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ahem...
Randy Rhodes, Carlos Cavazo Rudolf Schenker Zakk Wylde Slash James Hetfield Wolf Hoffmann Adrian Smith and KK Downing would like to have a word out back with you my good sir.
Just joking with you Rick, lots of good ideas on this thread. anyone suggest a good old fender 70s player Strat yet? Humbuckers, whammy bar and priced around $700 these days.

i know it bro, its all good. just the majority and more popular "guitar heros"
always had the kramers, charvel's, jackson, and for me Via brought into play the
ibanez and at the right time. but i leaned into the EVH type stuff too though.
the Floyd was a totally different insturment to us and we had to have them.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have always loved the Mockingbird Shape. I have been looking out for an Original one from the late 70s/80s, but it seems like the few that made it across the Pond to Europe are not for sale.:shrug:

Recently I bought the MIK Bird that's been linked in this Thread. I really like it so far- although I suspect the one from @Jethro Rocker is even better. That's an US Custom Shop Model, isn't it?
No it is an ST. Nothing fancy MIK too but nice quilty top. I got it used a few years back.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Ahem...

Also, Tom Kiefer, Robbin Crosby, Steve Clark, Jorg Fischer, Joe Perry, Dave Meniketti, Vivian Campbell and Matthias Jabs. Just to name a few others that were rocking Gibsons back in the 80's. Even though the rise/craze of the superstrats and wild shaped guitars Gibson was far more popular during the times than people are lead to believe nowadays. Yeah all these guys may have slung some of the other cool guitars of the day but they were still known for their Gibson's. :cool: For the superstrats IMHO nothing screams 80's more than a graphic of some sort or just plain old white. BTW I'm a big fan of superstrats and the wild guitars of the 80's. Just pointing out Gibsons were still very popular at the time.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Also, Tom Kiefer, Robbin Crosby, Steve Clark, Jorg Fischer, Joe Perry, Dave Meniketti, Vivian Campbell and Matthias Jabs. Just to name a few others that were rocking Gibsons back in the 80's. Even though the rise/craze of the superstrats and wild shaped guitars Gibson was far more popular during the times than people are lead to believe nowadays. Yeah all these guys may have slung some of the other cool guitars of the day but they were still known for their Gibson's. :cool: For the superstrats IMHO nothing screams 80's more than a graphic of some sort or just plain old white. BTW I'm a big fan of superstrats and the wild guitars of the 80's. Just pointing out Gibsons were still very popular at the time.
Alex Lifeson also.

Phony iommi

Reaction score
i know it bro, its all good. just the majority and more popular "guitar heros"
always had the kramers, charvel's, jackson, and for me Via brought into play the
ibanez and at the right time. but i leaned into the EVH type stuff too though.
the Floyd was a totally different insturment to us and we had to have them.
That Floyd Rose sure was a game changer. Recently, I watched an interview with Brad Gillis and he said he traded a Les Paul Custom straight up for a Floyd Rose when it was first developed. EVH got the first one Neil Schon got the second one. Gillis has number three, he learned how to use it well and has made a decent living I suppose. Sorry for thread diversion

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That Floyd Rose sure was a game changer. Recently, I watched an interview with Brad Gillis and he said he traded a Les Paul Custom straight up for a Floyd Rose when it was first developed. EVH got the first one Neil Schon got the second one. Gillis has number three, he learned how to use it well and has made a decent living I suppose. Sorry for thread diversion

yep. right around 83 you were hard pressed to walk into a guitar store and find a guitar that didnt have some version of a double locking tremolo. the Gibson may have been popular but their sells just about tanked.
ANYBODY that was there and had their finger on the pulse of the era knows i speak the truth on that.
some of the pros might have been rocking them, but they damn sure werent selling.
examples can be found all over the guitar mags back in the day to prove my words. Ed changed the game boys.