Drake 784-139 Output Transformer

• Thread starter W5FH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

W5FH

Reaction score
Hello-
As I understand it the Drake 784-139 50 watt Plexi output transformer is stacked with a non grain oriented (M29 or M50) core. However, it is a more interleaved transformer than many others (to get the highs). With this being said, my question is in regards to the Marshall tone and if this particular transformer design is playing a deliberate role. Taking the 50 watt Plexi style amp, with the 250 ufd cathode bypass used at V1, there is much more low frequency gain, with tendency to get muddy. Being the 784-139 transformer is going to have somewhat less pronounced bass than a comparable transformer stacked with M6 core is that the reason it is being used, possibly "reducing" some of the low frequency muddiness?
Just curious as I have some 784-139 style wound outputs but stacked with M6 steel. These were targeted for other style builds but I have been wondering about Marshall's core choice reasoning.
Thanks for any info.

william vogel

Reaction score
I don’t think Marshall chose the lamination steel for the 784-139. Drake was supplying the transformers for the JMP amps until they switched to Dagnall for the 100 watt transformers. Dagnall was using M6 laminations for these 100 watt amps. Marshall continued to use Drake for the 50 watt iron. With that being said, Marshall didn’t change the order from Drake and therefore the transformers remained the same. I don’t think tonal differences in lamination steel had any bearing on the design. I think it was more about cost and availability.

Latest posts