Drop tuning

• Thread starter Purgasound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, nah I typed a bunch of nonsense when I was hammered. went back and erased everything, thought it would be best.

wasitthat

Reaction score
though im not much of a drinker, i do have some stories to tell...

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
at one point, yes!
A lot of other stuff went down the hatch too! Last night was the end of a four day bender.
Hitched a ride with a band coming through town to go to VA Beach and saw Weedeater (whom I think sucks by the way) but I liked all the opening bands.

noise5150

Reaction score
Interesting topic. I have argued the same thing. It seems like many modern metal bands have used drop tunings as a substitute for coming up with creative riffs and for skilled playing (ala 80s shredders). As far as Drop-D, I think it can be used in a creative way as long as you don't rely on it - just think EVH (Unchained), Alice in Chains and Zakk Wylde.

thrawn86

Reaction score
Maybe we can pony up some cash for Viking to spill his lost letters here.......:lol:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I've got a great analogy...

Drop tuning (when relied on 100% of all song writing) compared to standard is like trying to tell Robert Plant, Ozzy, Freddy Mercury, and others that death metal growls take more talent than the way they sing.

It's two different animals, I'll give you that, but it's more often used as a crutch than as an expansive, alternate method of song writing.

Hatebreed and LoG are one trick ponies.

LOG and Hatebreed are one trick ponies?? :wtf:

How many albums have you sold recently??

j2112c

Reaction score
LOG and Hatebreed are one trick ponies?? :wtf:

How many albums have you sold recently??

Necropost.:lol:
zombie_hands_reaching_out_of_a_fresh_grave_0515-0909-1716-3056_SMU.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

American Viking has not been on the forum in a while, you may wait a long time for a reply to something he said over a year ago.:lol::lol:

Feel free to wait if you are really pissed off about Hatebreed.:lol:

Here is some music to keep you company while you wait mate.:hippie:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLIpHK4NUU]YouTube - Hatebreed "Destroy Everything" Live[/ame]

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I play in whatever tuning works best for the song and singer. I don't like a lot of people that misuse it though. Ty Tabor uses drop tunings, EVH uses drop tunings and a lot of 80's guys were in drop d. I think it's good to just play the way you play and if you don't like it don't do it.

custom53

Reaction score
funny thing you should hate on drop tunings, metallica does them, pantera did, meshuggah, just about any good metal band out there does it in some way, granted, theres not a lot of bands nowadays that tune standard, but its evolution in a sort as i see it. i dont personally like much of the metal that gets most of the attention today, but you cant lump everyone that does it into the same crap category.

foo fighters
alice in chains
stanley jordan
joe satriani
steve vai
tool
slipknot
me
a perfect circle
team sleep
deftones
temple of the dog
soundgarden
botch
camp kill yourself
yellowcard
phil collins
muse
queens of the stone age
rage against the machine
red hot chili peppers

the list goes on and on and on and on and on and suprisingly most of the bands i listed werent born yesterday.

You forgot Eddie Van Halen also.....

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Necropost.:lol:
zombie_hands_reaching_out_of_a_fresh_grave_0515-0909-1716-3056_SMU.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

American Viking has not been on the forum in a while, you may wait a long time for a reply to something he said over a year ago.:lol::lol:

Feel free to wait if you are really pissed off about Hatebreed.:lol:

Here is some music to keep you company while you wait mate.:hippie:

YouTube - Hatebreed "Destroy Everything" Live

Awesome tone is aweeeeeeeessssssssssoooommmmme!!!!!!:headbanger:

chuckmehh

Reaction score
Bottom line, saying drop tuning is a cop out and requires no skill is a hasty generalization. Sure there are the Limp Bizkits and Korns, but there are also the Jeff Loomis', Peripheries, and Messhugahs. Just like there are shitty players that play in standard as well as amazing ones. There are great players in ALL areas of music, period.