DSL… the WORST of ALL Marshalls?!?!

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Not my favorite Marshall amp, and it wasn't until I played a newer DSL100H that I found one I could bond with. It was on an EVH 4x12 btw...

Amazes me that it took Marshall so long to address and fix the original issues with the DSL.
But there's a reason why they are provided as a backline almost everywhere these days.
Most big artists say they can work with them and get a decent sound for the job at hand.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the Dsl15 you’re referring to is the 2nd generation Dsl from 2012 to 2017.

I don’t think the first generation Dsl, Jcm2000 Dsl’s from 1997 to 2011, offered a 15 watt amp.

From your post it seems the Dsl40cr sounds like the right Dsl for you.
That one. The first issue of that amp. I don't know if there were more generations / versions. All I know is that they cancelled them and the new DSL amps don't sound like it.

I need a head. I have loads of cabs and speakers for Marshall. I am thinking more about the JVM than the DSL because of that. Seems it can do ultra gain. However these days I really do have a lot of Marshalls and I am enjoying Orange. I am giving thought to more of them. Nice blend also. Hence why they are appearing together on stage.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my (2004) JCM2000 DSL50.

A lot of amps have their gremlins. Guess I got a good one. Bought it cheap enough. Had low hour NOS Mullards all-around when I got it. Score!

Would buy another one every other month if I could find them for the same price.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I got mine from the GC Used Gear section of their website, and the listing even said that it was a 1999 model, one of the trouble-prone years. But so far, so good. Either I got a good one or a previous owner ironed out the issues.

Last edited:

Michael Roe

Reaction score
If the DSL amps are the worst, then I must be a very lucky DSL owner. I have owned many (probably about 8 of them) and currently still have a JCM 2K 50 watter and a DSL20HR.
Never had a problem with any of my DSLs. I even owned several of the "Bias drift" era models and they saw more play time and abuse then any I owned and.....never an issue.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'm in the lucky bucket as well, or perhaps @PelliX law of big numbers probability theory has merit.
Got a 20HR used, but minty fresh, at my local GC - never had a single issue.
Not a stock tube left in it - 823 in V1, vintage Fisher in V2, non-Marshall JJ in V3, and a set of JJ 6CA7's.
Some dirt options out front and my favorite loop duo (eq-chorus), the little fella just delivers.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I've owned four DSLs and still own three:
> Early DSL5C. I modded it and it works pretty well, for a triode powered amp.
> DSL15. Great cleans in the Green, nice reverb, no loop, so passed it onwards!
> DSL20CR. Sounds great with a Creamback-65 in it. It had the mis-wiring problem when new. Warranty service was quick turnaround and generally painlees. All has been perfect since!
> DSL40CR. Great amp for what it is. It had the switching chip malfunction when new. Again, warranty service was prompt and easy through USMUSICORP. Been perfect since! While this does the best job of them all at low volumes, it's higher volumes don't inspire me all that much and it will likely be the first to leave the stable!

While none can hold a candle (tonally) to my SV20H, all can get me most of the way there and are reliable. A bit more modern sounding for my tastes, but easily useable. I actually like the DSL20CR the best of the whole bunch and it comes closest to classic Marshall tones, when fully cranked in the green CLASSIC GAIN channel. Of course, when cranked, it definitely needs a little bit of attenuation!

Just My Take On It,
Gene

steveb63

Reaction score
Yup
Another lucky one here.

My discounted "B" stock has been great sounding and trouble free.

I also believe the new/ updated models have addressed tone issues and sound great.

Of course, IMHO etc..... But I am a little bit snobby, still think Marshall has it figured out.

Use my DSL 20 HR for tracking more than I use my $$$ JTM 45, or vintage Vibrolux. Which is fairly stiff competition. IMO etc....

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
We both know Mitch is gonna agree here.... :rofl:
Well if the DSL line of amps is the worse .
And the Origin is right behind it ,, that means I have purchased the shittiest amps of all time,, man I am sure glad I didn’t know any better.. because my ears tell me they both rock just as hard as any of the old amps from Marshall I have played..

Cheers

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I've had some issues with a Marshall or two. I've never owned an original DSL or more modern versions.

I'd like to get one of the original DSL's. The reason is because of how good they sound on the crunch mode with a tube screamer out front. It is an absolute beastly high gain sound. The fact that I may get a dud that may need a repair kind of turns me off from it though.

I've heard that the DSL50's do not suffer the board issue. Not sure. I have not compared the older and newer DSL. I have only tried the DSL 40 in store and it sounded really good to my ears.

I do like the fact that newer ones have the resonance control.

I previously owned a TSL60 and TSL100.
The TSL60 sounded nothing like the 100. I thought the 60 was not very pleasant to play through. Tried with multiple guitars and speakers. It just wasn't for me...

The 100 was better sounding but had bias drift. It sounded ok at best. The irony is that the TSL122 I have now sounds quite a bit better. I'm still tinkering with it, however it definitely has a tone I can live with using the crunch mode and tube screamer out front.

The red mode is just too fizzy for me to get into.

I've had more issues with Randall than any other brand.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Yes, DSLs are terrible sounding and unreliable beasties. However I will be more than happy to take them off your hands as a service to humanity. Just send them to me and I won’t even charge you my usual fee, you just cover the shipping.

You’ll be so relieved once that awful amp has gone, and you can go back to dreaming about hand wired plexis and mint condition JCM800s.

You’re welcome 😉

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Yes, DSLs are terrible sounding and unreliable beasties. However I will be more than happy to take them off your hands as a service to humanity. Just send them to me and I won’t even charge you my usual fee, you just cover the shipping.

You’ll be so relieved once that awful amp has gone, and you can go back to dreaming about hand wired plexis and mint condition JCM800s.

You’re welcome 😉
I'll take one too! I'll even take the 50 watt version that is worth less lol

Full disclosure: I'm all about 50 watt amps..

Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Amazingly, most early JCM2000 DSL's are over 20 years old - and still going! Wonder if the new, wave soldered Vietnam made versions will be working in 20 years?
One thing is for sure, I doubt any modelers or profilers will be working lol...

At least if an amp breaks, I can get it repaired.

PelliX

Reaction score
And the Origin is right behind it ,, that means I have purchased the shittiest amps of all time,, man I am sure glad I didn’t know any better.. because my ears tell me they both rock just as hard as any of the old amps from Marshall I have played..

Cheers

I actually meant this bit :D

From your post it seems the Dsl40cr sounds like the right Dsl for you.

steveb63

Reaction score

Cheers
Don't feel bad bro, had me fooled too!

Lol

Tone can be had many different ways, and the DSL and Origins are two of the ways I happen to love as well.

But now that I know that it's the worst not sure if I can ever play them again!

Of course, I'm full of shit with that post.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
LOL I was having some issues with both my TSL and DSL, wierd popping noises and a strange ca chunka ca chuka sound, then a brrrrruuummp. Said the hell with em both and gave em to my tech for $400 for both. Tech calls me back a month or so later, says there is nothing wrong with either of em??? Got both amps back, as it turns out it was a bad circuit the electrician installed onto our circuit breaker panel!!! I took a heavy duty extension chord and ran it to another outlet in the room and all the noises went away!!!! Both amps are now quiet with no odd noises.

Still wondering how a new outlet could causes these noises?????

Very happy they are both fine...

Latest posts