DSL-15 green channel cranked - sounds like my old JMP

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPman

Reaction score
I have a DSL-15 "practice head" (in reality it seems just as loud as my 50 W JMP on the same 4x12 when it's fully dimed).

Today I fully cranked the green channel, both volume and gain on 10. Bass at 0, Treble, Presence, Middle at 10. I compared the tone back to back with my '69 JMP 50. I couldn't really tell them apart, besides the DSL still being a little more bassy. The JMP probably sounded a bit more hard hitting and tighter, but that's it. I'm sure if I modded that little DSL with better transformers, I could get identical tones. Or maybe just a better pair of fresh power tubes would get me there.

It's actually insane to me that such a small cheap head can sound 95% as good as my '69 JMP in its stock form. By the way that green channel is insanely loud when cranked. I truly couldn't hear so much difference in volume between the two. I think it might be well over 15 W. I have this amp for about 7 years now, I've been always playing it cranked and I've never had to service it or even change a single tube.

I will make a comparison video tomorrow with both amp mic'd up if you don't believe me.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Very cool . Isnt it fun cranking a 15 watter ! Marshalls like to be played loud .The 4x12 lets it roar nicely . Yup , after 7 years I would try a fresh pair of output / power tubes just for fun . Keep the originals as spares due to you know they work well . Cool post . Yes , a vid would be awesome !

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I wish i could say the same about my 2000DSL100:lol:.

There is a vid of a slightly modded
15 that left the same impression with me, atleast it sounded very much like a 2203/04, right in the acdc zone.

LPman

Reaction score
I wish i could say the same about my 2000DSL100:lol:.

There is a vid of a slightly modded
15 that left the same impression with me, atleast it sounded very much like a 2203/04, right in the acdc zone.

I think I know which video you refer to. I made those mods to my DSL-15 the same day I purchased it. I read somewhere that the DSL-15 is the best of the series.

I had a DSL40 combo for a short time just to help a friend selling it. I haven't heard a worse sounding Marshall ever. I thought that a cheap old Valvestate would easily eat that amp for breakfast.

LPman

Reaction score
I like that the DSL15 uses 6V6 power tubes . I always liked the sound of amps best with those . Prefer them to EL84 amps

Maybe that's the secret. I'm looking forward to listen back to my recordings I will make in comparison with my JMP. I'm wondering if the recorded sounds will be similar to what I hear at that high volumes in person.

As I said the DSL has a little more bass than it should even at zero but it's not loose and spongy, although I expect the JMP to be punchier.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's the secret. I'm looking forward to listen back to my recordings I will make in comparison with my JMP. I'm wondering if the recorded sounds will be similar to what I hear at that high volumes in person.

As I said the DSL has a little more bass than it should even at zero but it's not loose and spongy, although I expect the JMP to be punchier.
Looking forward to hearing your comparison clips.

Cheers

Marc1kim

Reaction score
I have the DSL15H with a 5751 Tube in the V1 spot and I love it. I bought at a steal from a friend for $200. It;s one of the best heads that I've owned and I've owned Three original 80s jubilees, and two JCM 800s( including an 82 6550 equipped 2204)