Marshall 3203 Green JMP Style : Possible Mods

• Thread starter Levismith1125
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Levismith1125

Reaction score
I have the Lead 100 Mosfet that has a similar preamp but the Boost channel has a push-pull pot that allows me to use the Normal channel EQ with the Boost channel.

Maybe look into that schematic and see if there is a way to mod your preamp section that way. They seem to have a similar preamp circuit, aside from the push-pull pot.
My buddy has a mosfet head too. That thing’s gain channel is what I expected my 3203 to sound like. Extremely tight, bright, and there’s not “too much” bass end. I also have a browned 5213 mosfet 2x12 combo and it sounds very similar to my 3203, except the 3203 sounds better.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Don't quite get it yet, you don't like pedals, but you already are using a drivepedal that you want to change for an SD-1. But you don't want to use an eq?

I mostly loath pedals myself, just use amp distortion, but also did use an eq here and there and i tell you, it works really well with the 3203.

Try a cheap ass mxr 10 band clone for tryout, can be had for 30 bucks and is always good to have handy.

Levismith1125

Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I kind of figured out the secret to the 3203’s boost channel. I was cranking the channel volume rather than the master volume since I usually opt to turn up the preamp for a better sound. It’s the other way around with this thing. Keeping the channel volume low and raising the master completely opened this thing up. It’s no longer too bassy, it’s pretty tight, and now sounds like a modded 2203 like everyone’s been saying about these amps. Figured I’d leave my input here for others to find. No need for me to mod it anymore.

DonP

Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I kind of figured out the secret to the 3203’s boost channel. I was cranking the channel volume rather than the master volume since I usually opt to turn up the preamp for a better sound. It’s the other way around with this thing. Keeping the channel volume low and raising the master completely opened this thing up. It’s no longer too bassy, it’s pretty tight, and now sounds like a modded 2203 like everyone’s been saying about these amps. Figured I’d leave my input here for others to find. No need for me to mod it anymore.
Good.

When I first got mine I was hot to mod it, but then I cooled down and found an MXR10 eq in the loop was all I needed.