DSL EQ Settings

• Thread starter RazorDave
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RazorDave

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question for all you DSL owners. Last night I played a show, and I could not get comfortable with the sound coming out of my DSL / 1960s cab. I had the bass switch egaged. The volume was around 10 oclock, which is a bit less then half ways. The bass eq was about 10 oclock as well. I could hear a funky rattle. Where do you guys like to set your bass control? Am I putting to much bass? I dont think so, as Ive seen others with way more, but I could be wrong here. I play a strat, which isnt very bass heavy, like a less paul. Id like to hear some opinions.

tazzboy

Reaction score
I set my bass at 2 and leave the deep switch off.

Of course I am using a Les Paul.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I keep my eq and presence at noon and no deep switch. I got a 2x12 and get plenty of bass, you should be getting even more with a 4x12. You playing red or green channel? Green is obviously warmer and deeper I like green crunch, the higher the gain the bassier it gets too. Try finding the right mix of gain and OD pedal or eq boost pedal. I've never been able to get my MIM Strat to sound good at all through my DSL.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i always had mine at 4/eleven oclock with the deep engaged myself. i find the lows a little muddy otherwise for what i do.

RazorDave

Reaction score
Ah, thanks alot mates. Judging by all your comments, I probably am running a bit to much bass.

^AXE^

Reaction score
Your setting don't sound too bad, just kill the low boost.

It's really only useful at low volume.

Low volume? What the fuck is THAT! :rofl:

tazzboy

Reaction score
What means is that quieter you play ie low volume the more bass you can use.

If you are louder player with gain and volume crank or dimed and play really hard then you are going to need less bass.

DSL 50

Reaction score
For sure leave the bass boost off.

For me on the Red Channel:

Bass: 5 (Green channel bass on 2)
Mids: 7
Treble: 3
Presence: 3

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i used deep at high volume bro it's ll about rolling back the lows on the eq. you can use one or the other in high volumes. for rock, deep OFF more lows. for metal, deep ON/IN lows at 4 or less. this gives the resonance and tightness. so it depends on what you want. i found the deep switch works great if you use it correctly. but that's metal. if you want a standard rock tone keep it off.

lowinput

Reaction score
I saw a utube demo of the DSL and the guy was using the scoop switch as 'the norm'. and when he took the scoop off, he says "oh yeah that's more mid pressure", and he switched back to the scoop sound. this showed it was his fav, and the DSL has heaps of 'all the tones'.
then the guy turned on the deep switch, and said it adds a sound like a 'double bass note'. something like what an octave pedal does.

I would revisit your relationship to the tones from a DSL including the huge inpact that the presence can have, and fall in love again with the DSL.

The problem you are having comes from the philosophy "distortion makes tone".
the 'funky rattle' is a result of your tone comming from you listening to the distortion and setting tone controls. Try getting tone from listening to clean tone and adding in the distortion.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a utube demo of the DSL and the guy was using the scoop switch as 'the norm'. and when he took the scoop off, he says "oh yeah that's more mid pressure", and he switched back to the scoop sound. this showed it was his fav, and the DSL has heaps of 'all the tones'.
then the guy turned on the deep switch, and said it adds a sound like a 'double bass note'. something like what an octave pedal does.

I would revisit your relationship to the tones from a DSL including the huge inpact that the presence can have, and fall in love again with the DSL.

The problem you are having comes from the philosophy "distortion makes tone".
the 'funky rattle' is a result of your tone comming from you listening to the distortion and setting tone controls. Try getting tone from listening to clean tone and adding in the distortion.

there is no distortion, only magnification..

DILLIGAS

Reaction score
The rattle you hear may also be the cabinet. Sometimes if the cabinet has been in a humid environment then put in a dry one this could happen or when the rear panel has been removed and then put back. If it is the cabinet you can put a sock over the 2x4 that is supposed to support the middle of rear panel then tape it in place (I doubled the sock to make sure there was enough material between the 2x4 and the rear panel). Then when you put the cover back on make sure the screws are good and tight without stripping them. Do a search for the inside of a 1960 cab and you will see what I mean about the 2x4. As far as EQ, you got a lot of feedback on that, trial and error.

Drew

mk2 steve

Reaction score
Is the wood block in between the cab rear panel and front panel tight? The middle screw on the cab. If that comes loose it can rattle. Also the deep switch always sounded like ass to me

Frankie

Reaction score
I run my deep switch in and my bass on 4-5 on the dial. You know me, I run the volume up pretty high too, so if something is rattling check the cabinet. Mine doesn't make any kind of rattling.

Ken

Reaction score
Every time I post my EQ settings they're probably different! LOL Here's where I was last night:

Presence 4, Treble 5, Mids 3, Bass 4, Red: lead 1, gain 3-7, volume 3-4. Green: gain 2, volume 7 and clean setting. I do not use the deep nor the tone shift. Les Paul Standard with late 70's/early 80's Dimarzio PAF in the neck and same era Seymour Duncan (with coil split) in the bridge.

1 or 2 4x12 1982 cabs with G12H-80's

Works for me.

Ken

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
Believe it or not I've gotten some killer tone putting all the eq levels at 10, except for the prescence which I keep at 4...deep switch on.

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
Bass switch out, Tone shift out, All knobs at 12 o'clock except reverbs (2-3), adjust red channel gain so volumes match on both channels. Green channel with OD on, Red channel NOT on insane distortion. Presence goes to 6 if I am playing me LP, down to 4 with my V.