DSL parts sourcing

• Thread starter Buggs.Crosby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Updated the website here:
Marshall DSL

Scroll down. I'll work on the formatting later, as I get more files. I was thinking that Lane's signal flow diagram would be nice to have there as well.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Adding links to pt 1 and have a few questions for you guys
1. the resistors.....koa/spear or vishay/dale?
2. having trouble finding RL1 and RL2....i have siemens on my board but i cant find them or a data sheet.....any clues for a drop in?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Adding links to pt 1 and have a few questions for you guys
1. the resistors.....koa/spear or vishay/dale?
2. having trouble finding RL1 and RL2....i have siemens on my board but i cant find them or a data sheet.....any clues for a drop in?

I like Vihsay RL series 1/2w but for some values, you have to go PL / RN series and some of the higher powered resistors have to be Koa Speer.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
For the pot board i was going to leave them all 1/4 watt as they are now
i will probably do the same on all the boards other than on the valve board where it will be noted as a recommended upgrade

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Yep.....Firefox was holding it back
that pdf does not have the mouser links yet either.....just have to do the caps and the pot board will be done minus any mod info

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
anybody have a good source for the pots?......not listed in Mouser or Digikey
and AES has them....but i cannot directly link to them = no help

jcmjmp

Reaction score
For the pots, tubes & more is your best bet. I couldn't find them @ mouser.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Yes.....AES is the only place i found them.....but i cannot find 22k b....the closest was 20k
the only thing i have left to add is the LED's and IC1 (5201)....i was trying to keep this all Mouser but that will be impossible

chadjwil

Reaction score
Well I've been hunting down a bias drift issue recently and I found that my bias pots run way up (like a 30% increase in resistance) when heated. The ones I have installed say CITEC on them...but I would certainly not recommend them as replacements. So what are the specs on these pots? Linear taper? 1/2W? Other than the fact that they are 22K I can't find any info on them.

Does anyone know of a more reliable replacement without the NTC (temperature) issues like my current ones?

chadjwil

Reaction score
back to the bias pots...I have another DSL100 at the house now and its bias pots are not the CITEC variety, at least they don't say CITEC on them, and they are pretty stable thermally. Of course they don't have ANY brand info on them at all, they just say 22k 434 on the side.

I have found a few places on the web that sell the CITEC pots, but this just leads me to believe even more that those should be avoided...and they're priced awful high considering that you could probably cobble in a superior part from Mouser for about $.85 each, which is what I'm gonna be doing here when I make my next order.

maltone

Reaction score
Re: DSL parts sourcing - HELP PLEASE

I'm trying to gather the part numbers for the resistors etc for the Joey Mods.

To order the parts from Digikey or Mouser, - there's a lot more information required on their sites. Example, in the Joey Mods it says:

"Change out the Grid Blockers on the MAINBOARD. Most versions have 220K in place, replace with a more normal "Marshall" value 5k6 resistor. I'm of the understanding Alan Bradley Carbon Comps are suited quite well for this, I used regular +/- 5% carbon films" — I found these, but I also found the same values in METAL FILM, with a 0.1% tolerance, ranging from 1/4 watt to 1 watt. Here: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=5.6KADTR-ND
Does it matter if I used carbon comp VS metal film? And does the wattage rating matter? 1/4 watt VS 1 watt?

Next, "Upgrade the bias resistors I suggest a more temperature-stable precision metal film 1/4 to 1W, PRP or Vishay Dale"

Well I found them here:
Digi-Key - CPF10.0KCTR-ND (Manufacturer - CPF110K000FKEE6) but, it has a Resistance of 10K (Ohms) . They'll need me to specify this value when ordering - so what's the appropriate resistance for the 1 watt metal film resistors? 100K 10K, 2.21K?

Thanks.

Latest posts