DSL1-CR for decent Malmsteen tone?

• Thread starter Loogster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loogster

Reaction score
First post, been lurking for a bit. I tried to find the answer in prior posts but none seemed to fully address my question.

I have a Malmsteen Strat and DOD YJM 308 OD. Love the strat, and also love the earlier Malmsteen tones. I have a pretty good understanding of how he attains his tone, and I know it is difficult to attain without a lot of volume.

That said, I'm looking for a decent solution for lower volume playing.
I have a Boss Katana 50 MK2, Positive Grid Spark, and a few other SS amps. I've also played through dozens of of other SS/modeling amps, and none get anywhere near what I'm looking for, despite touting "real tube tone."

About 20 years ago I visited a custom small tube amp builder, tried one of his small amps and was blown away...but, I was in school and money was tight.
Also tried a handful of other tube amps that sounded great (except a Peavey Classic 30 that didn't work out at all).

I don't gig, so this would only be for practice and maybe some light jamming with my nephews.

DSL1-CR: Yay or nay? (Also tempted by the DSL5...)

Many thanks,
Bob

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
It should be fine. I think a SV20 would be more accurate for Yngwie tones but that amp is not really "low volume" unless you get an attenuator.

But the little DSLs do have good Marshall tones. Keep the gain low on the red channel and push it with the YJM308. Should be pretty close.

Either 1w or the 5w should do it.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
You can do much better.
Depends where you are but loads of people are dumping big old amps and going digital,
get something fun on ebay and build a mancave out of cardboard boxes.

PelliX

Reaction score
If you can't get the Spark or especially the Katana in the ballpark, I'm not sure a DSL (or other amp) is really going to help you. I'll presume (as I don't know any thing about his rig apart from the funky fretboard) that there's something else in the chain you're missing.

That said, a valve amp puts a smile on my face - you came to the wrong place to be told not to buy one! Between the DSL1 and 5, I'd probably go for the 5, myself. Either would need to go through a proper cab for my taste, though.

Loogster

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input.

I did try the Helix Native and Amplitube.
Despite being very comfortable with computers and technology, I couldn't get them to work properly with any of our setups, except for my wife's relatively low-end laptop.
By that time, I was fed up, so my son is using it.

I'm tempted by the Helix Stomp or similar, but I'm honestly a little burned out on using computers and tweaking a million knobs and settings.

Seriously, it should not take hours to get a reasonable tone.
I've plugged straight into a JCM of some sort, a Peavey Satriani model (I think), a Mesa triple rectifier of unknown vintage, a few low-watt tube amps (Laney?), and probably a dozen others and had great sounds within minutes.
I didn't even have to crank them (well, not much anyway).
The exception was a Peavey Classic 30 I owned for a few years. Despite extensive modding, I could not get to a good mid or higher gain tone.

I do think a big part of "the tone' is a Marshall-sounding amp goosed with a clean boost.
Add the Strat with low output HS-4s, and I think (hope) the ballpark is attainable.

I put in a lot of time recently tinkering with about 6 amps, including the Katana and Spark.
They are great for clean, low gain and high gain.
Where they falter is in the mid-gain, which is where Yngwie lives.

I've read countless reviews claiming some SS amp took pedals (OD) well, but I just end up with a harsh mess.

Tube amps respond to or react with varying input in a unique way. Not just tonally, but by feel. You guys REALLY know what I'm talking about.
Some of the current modellers are really close, apparently...

I'm not exactly new to the guitar world; been playing for 38 years (time flies!), so I'm very patient in my tone searches, taking many hours tweaking the variables.
For example, the little Katana is a killer amp, but is has a harsh lower treble thing going on that drives me crazy.
Tried to dial it out via the global EQ (and other EQs), but haven't been successful.

The Spark is dark, despite the updated EQ. It does have some great tones, and, as with the Boss, I've methodically worked my way through hundreds of combinations and settings, but that tubey "breathing" and mid-gain throaty growl is missing.

Funny, I have an old (around 2005) Marshall MG15GFX that has some decent tones, but the gain is pretty harsh and it HATES OD pedals.
The only way to make it sound good with gain is to suck out the mids, or chop treble and max the bass, making it dark.
Not at all what I'm looking for.

I just found out yesterday afternoon (MRI results) that I may have to put my project on hold because I had a bad mountain bike crash a few weeks ago that resulted in some ugly rotator cuff tears (pretty sure surgical repair is needed) and a surprise scapular fracture.
It would drive me nuts to have a new amp and no be able to fondle, er, use it.

All suggestions are very much appreciated!

Bob

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input.

I did try the Helix Native and Amplitube.
Despite being very comfortable with computers and technology, I couldn't get them to work properly with any of our setups, except for my wife's relatively low-end laptop.
By that time, I was fed up, so my son is using it.

I'm tempted by the Helix Stomp or similar, but I'm honestly a little burned out on using computers and tweaking a million knobs and settings.

Seriously, it should not take hours to get a reasonable tone.
I've plugged straight into a JCM of some sort, a Peavey Satriani model (I think), a Mesa triple rectifier of unknown vintage, a few low-watt tube amps (Laney?), and probably a dozen others and had great sounds within minutes.
I didn't even have to crank them (well, not much anyway).
The exception was a Peavey Classic 30 I owned for a few years. Despite extensive modding, I could not get to a good mid or higher gain tone.

I do think a big part of "the tone' is a Marshall-sounding amp goosed with a clean boost.
Add the Strat with low output HS-4s, and I think (hope) the ballpark is attainable.

I put in a lot of time recently tinkering with about 6 amps, including the Katana and Spark.
They are great for clean, low gain and high gain.
Where they falter is in the mid-gain, which is where Yngwie lives.

I've read countless reviews claiming some SS amp took pedals (OD) well, but I just end up with a harsh mess.

Tube amps respond to or react with varying input in a unique way. Not just tonally, but by feel. You guys REALLY know what I'm talking about.
Some of the current modellers are really close, apparently...

I'm not exactly new to the guitar world; been playing for 38 years (time flies!), so I'm very patient in my tone searches, taking many hours tweaking the variables.
For example, the little Katana is a killer amp, but is has a harsh lower treble thing going on that drives me crazy.
Tried to dial it out via the global EQ (and other EQs), but haven't been successful.

The Spark is dark, despite the updated EQ. It does have some great tones, and, as with the Boss, I've methodically worked my way through hundreds of combinations and settings, but that tubey "breathing" and mid-gain throaty growl is missing.

Funny, I have an old (around 2005) Marshall MG15GFX that has some decent tones, but the gain is pretty harsh and it HATES OD pedals.
The only way to make it sound good with gain is to suck out the mids, or chop treble and max the bass, making it dark.
Not at all what I'm looking for.

I just found out yesterday afternoon (MRI results) that I may have to put my project on hold because I had a bad mountain bike crash a few weeks ago that resulted in some ugly rotator cuff tears (pretty sure surgical repair is needed) and a surprise scapular fracture.
It would drive me nuts to have a new amp and no be able to fondle, er, use it.

All suggestions are very much appreciated!

Bob
Go plug into any DSL and see if you can dial in what you like. Guitar Center is a great place to find this, buy them try them don't like them return them! Keep if it gets you where you want to be! :yesway:

Loogster

Reaction score
Thank you sir!

GC had one last year (but I wasn't able to play it). They had a DSL40, which I tried with a Strat off their wall.
I did like it, but am never comfortable blasting stuff in a music store, so it was at a very low volume...
Plus, didn't have MY guitar with the 308.

Funny, I started playing by learning Yngwie's rhythms.
In a little over a year I could play any of his rhythms.
Other guitarists were pretty floored. I'm not exquisitely talented by a long shot, but something about the way I play makes them easier (turns out my picking is freaky accurate, my fret band is the limiter).

Fast forward to now, and my 16 year old son has been playing for a couple of years, and I've been slowly getting back into playing.

At almost 55, it isn't nearly as easy now, but I decided to learn to solo.
Annnnd, I decided to start with Yngwie.
Yup...like staring up at Mt. Everest, but it has been a blast.

Here is the sad part.
I grew up fairly poor, so I have a terrible thrifty streak. I can now afford any amp setup I want (I've worked very hard over the last 30 years)...but I agonize over it! The thrift is burned into my soul.
My wife usually has to encourage me to buy nice things, and she nearly bought an amp for my for our 21st anniversary, except she couldn't recall which one. Turns out she nearly ordered the 1974x combo!
"It looked really nice .."

I'll shut up now...and plunk down the money...though I'm looking at a head and 1x12....

Bob<---moron

Latest posts