DSL100H Tone Report and Clip...

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I have not played the new dsl head but I own a dsl100mlb. The dsl100mlb for me might have been one of the best amps for me I have ever heard. I hope these are good new amps!

Nebulozny

Reaction score
I've read somewhere that it's good method for taming the brightness to switch presence and treble values, so I tried it, and it really works, sounds much better now, lower the treble and crank the presence...my settings TRE 2, PRE 5.

Also I'm heavy green crunch channel user with pedal in front, then sometimes i switch to ultra and get surprised by the sound, that's what DSL does to me :)

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, only about 5% of the people that frequent this forum actually read and retain information, dude. Don't waste your time.

how about instead of attacking everyone on a forum you regularly visit, you just STFU :)

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning down the Treble knob yet? *sarcastic look*

Im pretty sure he has.. Sometimes turning down the Treble makes it sound too dark but yet still sounds too bright on the Treble Strings.

But you wouldnt know this would you, because your head is buried too far up your ass.. ;)

shades of blue

Reaction score
I just find it funny how people were saying the gain was unusable, when it sounded perfectly fine here. :fingersx:

I know man, I'm being sarcastic because I find the channel to be very usable. :thumb:

I DO AGREE with some that the difference in gain from the classic channel to the ultra channel is pretty drastic...not enough in the classic channel and gobs in the ultra channel, but seriously, it doesn't have too much gain. Just turn the gain down and work your guitar volume like Mr. Marshall intended :)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning down the Treble knob yet? *sarcastic look*
Of course I have. :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure he has.. Sometimes turning down the Treble makes it sound too dark but yet still sounds too bright on the Treble Strings.

This ^^^

It's not that I think it has too much treble, it's piercing to my ears. I'm figuring it out. I've only had my amp a week and a half and I do expect (or hope rather) the highs will mellow some as the speaker settles in.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
Another option is to try an EQ, see if that helps with the highs. I always used to run the treble low on both my DSLs, at about 2, and adjusted presence to whatever room I was in. Once those speakers have some good play time they should smooth out a bit.

shades of blue

Reaction score
Another option is to try an EQ, see if that helps with the highs. I always used to run the treble low on both my DSLs, at about 2, and adjusted presence to whatever room I was in. Once those speakers have some good play time they should smooth out a bit.

Good to know I'm not crazy for running the treble that low. I do know that some people say these need treble at gig volumes to cut. Either way, I learned a long time ago that it's ok to run EQ at extreme lows if needed...just means you have all the real estate in the world if needed.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
definitely, like people say, vote with your ears, not your eyes. I used to find my DSL would cut through the mix fine with a low treble setting and with G12-T75s too. I did do the C12 mod to one of my DSLs and found it made a noticeable difference to the treble. My second DSLs tone was improved a lot when I changed out the G12-T75s and got an X pattern of 2 types of WGS speakers, they seem far less toppy. also a minor thing, make sure the polepieces on your pickups are adjusted properly. On a Strat (with humbuckers) I have, I dropped the treble side a little and it evened out the tone (the Strat could be quite shrill through the DSL).

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good point about the pickups. I've set up all my guitars while I played only my Class 5, which I think has a little too much low end, and haven't really considered them since. Maybe it's time to lower the treble side a bit.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
That's a good point about the pickups. I've set up all my guitars while I played only my Class 5, which I think has a little too much low end, and haven't really considered them since. Maybe it's time to lower the treble side a bit.

its worth a go, and the best part is, it's free :cheers:

lonnie333

Reaction score
So, I thought I'd give my two cents here. I bought the new DSL100H online purely based on reviews like these, youtube vids, and the fact that it's marketed by Marshall as a newer JCM 2000 model. This is false. The new DSL100H sounds vastly different than the older JCM 2000. Those highs you hear in the sound clip, do not go away. The DSL100H is sterile sounding to my ears, and has very little warmth in the upper mids / highs frequencies. After two band practices, I returned the amp :mad:. I like warmth and Marshall growl. The DSL100H did not deliver. The reverb is also weak on these amps. Try before you by, especially if you're a JCM 2000 lover.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
So, I thought I'd give my two cents here. I bought the new DSL100H online purely based on reviews like these, youtube vids, and the fact that it's marketed by Marshall as a newer JCM 2000 model. This is false. The new DSL100H sounds vastly different than the older JCM 2000. Those highs you hear in the sound clip, do not go away. The DSL100H is sterile sounding to my ears, and has very little warmth in the upper mids / highs frequencies. After two band practices, I returned the amp :mad:. I like warmth and Marshall growl. The DSL100H did not deliver. The reverb is also weak on these amps. Try before you by, especially if you're a JCM 2000 lover.
Guitar Amp Board - View topic - Marshall DSL100H

Billy seems to disagree with you but I think your assessment is prolly accurate.

dreyn77

Reaction score
I would also say, marshall doesn't seem to make the same product twice!!
there has always been something different in the models.