• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Dsl15h Tubes?

DILL

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for new tubes for my DSL15H Marshall (15 watt). I play a lot of 80s 90s metal/rock so I'm trying to get really close to that sound. I tried some of my friends MESA preamp tubes and really liked everything about them. I tried the stock Marshall tubes and they weren't very good. I tried some sovteks which weren't bad either. I want to know what you guys reccomend for tubes to get some nice metal sound. As well as we're would a good place be to buy some for a reasonable price. Thx

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-there was a time this was an easy answer, put all JJ's in it-(JJ's are known as a "DARK-TUBE", so if you find yourself battling " the trebles", throw some JJ 803S-(cp long plate's)-in all the preamp slots, and some JJ power tube/s in it and rock that biatch!!!

-if you have a "fizz" issue put one of the Marshall labeled pre's back in V-1

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
Just fitted all JJs to a DSL 401. When biased according to Tube Amp Doctor specs the end result was, surprisingly for that amp, a little too dark.
As SG-GUY says, putting a stock Marshall (Chinese Shuguang) tube back in V1 worked wonders and all the missing bite and crunch was restored but without the overall buzzy fizzy quality of "all-stock" tubes.
For the first time my DSL 401 has balls and depth without circuitry mods and that's with the stock Goldback (Celestion Hot 100) speaker.
Point is, before anything else, try some JJs to get rid of fizz / buzz and then go down the speaker swap route last if needs be.