[DSL1CR] extension cabinet vs overdrive pedal

• Thread starter Mephistorium
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mephistorium

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I've been playing with a DSL1CR for sometime now and while the clean channel is great, the OD is lacking/fizzy and would like to have a fuller sound, something that with distortion like Megadeth, Carcass, Metallica (both rhythm and solos)
After googling around I found that I need to either :
1- Get an extension cab because the 8" speaker of the DSL1CR might be the culprit
2- Get a pedal (MXR EVH 5150 or Friedman BE OD)

Would you please be kind enough to help me a bit ? also if you have other solutions/alternatives please don't hesitate

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I've been playing with a DSL1CR for sometime now and while the clean channel is great, the OD is lacking/fizzy and would like to have a fuller sound, something that with distortion like Megadeth, Carcass, Metallica (both rhythm and solos)
After googling around I found that I need to either :
1- Get an extension cab because the 8" speaker of the DSL1CR might be the culprit
2- Get a pedal (MXR EVH 5150 or Friedman BE OD)

Would you please be kind enough to help me a bit ? also if you have other solutions/alternatives please don't hesitate
TBH, both solutions will help.
Bigger speaker(s) will give you a fuller sound and may make the most difference.
Good OD pedals on the classic channel, or boosting the ultra channel, give the smaller DSL's a ton of tonal options.
1w amps have some inherent limitations, but you're on the right track to get the most out of them.

Mephistorium

Reaction score
TBH, both solutions will help.
Bigger speaker(s) will give you a fuller sound and may make the most difference.
Good OD pedals on the classic channel, or boosting the ultra channel, give the smaller DSL's a ton of tonal options.
1w amps have some inherent limitations, but you're on the right track to get the most out of them.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of this, I will try to go hunting based on my budget now haha

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OD is lacking/fizzy and would like to have a fuller sound
also if you have other solutions/alternatives please don't hesitate
Other options - tubes.
I had a DSL1HR before I got the 20.
JJ ECC823 in V1 made a nice difference to the "fizz" on the ultra channel.
It lowers the gain a bit and smooths out the fizz.
That tube stayed when the 1w left, and it's now in V1 in my 20.
No harm in trying a 5751, ECC81, or other lower gain factor tubes.

PelliX

Reaction score
also if you have other solutions/alternatives please don't hesitate

A cab with decent size speaker(s) would certainly be the first thing I would look into. In particular to drive that, though, I've been pretty chuffed with a cheap ML-2 pedal I picked up recently. Just sayin'.

Mephistorium

Reaction score
Thank you guys, things are clearer for me now, and I got some first hand experience with the models you tried, again thanks :)