• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL1HR only for metal or clean?

Al Kubiske

Reaction score
So I play primarily the bluesier tunes of Hendrix and Trower. Using an Amp that has a creamy breakup, can generate tone from fretboard vibrato, and is sensitive to guitar volume control is important when playin those guys. Ive been looking for an affordable Marshall -sounding tube low watt head to use the home. Enter the DSL1HR. Problem is I cant find one in a guitar store, and all the demos show only metal or clean. I’m assuming metal and clean is all the DSL1HR is good for, and not what I’m looking for. Any comments?

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I play primarily the bluesier tunes of Hendrix and Trower. Using an Amp that has a creamy breakup, can generate tone from fretboard vibrato, and is sensitive to guitar volume control is important when playin those guys. Ive been looking for an affordable Marshall -sounding tube low watt head to use the home. Enter the DSL1HR. Problem is I cant find one in a guitar store, and all the demos show only metal or clean. I’m assuming metal and clean is all the DSL1HR is good for, and not what I’m looking for. Any comments?
It goes from metal to clean and everything between. :yesway:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DSL1HR can do the most sounds, a great little amp.

And :welcome: to the forum, a great place :)

Al Kubiske

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Have you played like I described through one (DSL1HR). Sorry if I sound like a jerk, just asking because you’ve got a good equipment list, and the DSL1HR is not on it.

Al Kubiske

Reaction score
DSL1HR can do the most sounds, a great little amp.

Thanks for that. Have you played like I described through one (DSL1HR)? Sorry if I sound like a jerk, just asking because you’ve got a good equipment list, and the DSL1HR is not on it.

Reaction score
Its designed like most Marshalls, to be played loud, and to sound good in a band mix. So it does sound a bit fizzy by itself, and when played at low volumes. It sounds great when played loud though.

It can do the breakup very well. These were my favorite sounds on mine.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used to have a DSL20HR, but my friend has a DSL1HR that i played a lot

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of blues tones in the green channel, neck pick with a LP or Strat, both work great imo.

Robmarshall

Reaction score
I think the Origin 20 head is a better match for a blusey style with creamy breakup and more power, for not much more money than a DSL1 head. DSL is more modern sounding clean with more saturated gains for metal.

Al Kubiske

Reaction score
I used to have a DSL20HR, but my friend has a DSL1HR that i played a lot
Interesting you would say that, because the Orgin 20 is exactly the other head I was looking into.
I think the Origin 20 head is a better match for a blusey style with creamy breakup and more power, for not much more money than a DSL1 head. DSL is more modern sounding clean with more saturated gains for metal.
Interesting you would say that, the Origin 20 is the other head I was looking at. Thanks for your input!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:To the forum.
I am able to get a Trowerish tone from my Dsl40c’s, but I am also using a Vox Tone Lab, to get the Uvibe, delay, so I think with a little bit of tweaking you should be able to get what you’re looking for.
And do not discount the Origin line of amps they can be a great platform for Trower tone, plus they have the volume to do it justice.
Mitch

Last edited:

Caffeinated

Reaction score
I have an Origin 20c and a DSL1HR.

They’re very different amps. The Origin I have running through a Palmer power pad so I can push it hot. It loves my CP60’s Strat and Singlecut (Wolfetone DrV & Marshallhead) and responds exactly as it should to guitar volume being ridden and picking dynamics. It’s a perfect amp for 60’s/70’s tones when used properly. It’s also very loud when you do this (even with the powerpad) - too loud for a terraced cottage in a sleepy village unless you want to draw attention. It’s really an amp for rehearsal and small gigs even though 20w may not sound like it. Also, it hates my more modern RG550. Admittedly I’ve only just heard it’s safe to run unloaded headphones only and I’m still trying to get confirmation on that before trying as I’ve accidentally blown output transformers before and don’t need to go there again :) I also heard it’s not an emulated output so not really suitable for headphone practice. Obvs haven’t yet verified this ^ see above

I originally got the DSL as a headphones amp but it’s kinda slid a bit. I’ve happened on an awesome JCM800’ish tone out of the gain channel that I really love - but the clean channel sounds ass with that EQ. Well... not ‘ass’ but not as nice as it might. Strat isn’t really cooking but you’d have a job playing clean chords without tickling it if you see what I mean. A tubescreamer would probably be all it needed to take off if you were happy with ‘crunch’ being ‘clean’ and you wanted to solo. By time the volume and gain are at noon you’re well into full bore JCM800 land. Much beyond and tbh it’s getting nutty. I’d guess for more Plexi’ish tones which is what it sounds like you’re after, you’re probably going to want gain around 9oclockish and volume noon or higher. The cabinet emulation works well enough for headphone playing- at least with something half decent like K240’s. Per Marshall, it’s definitely safe to run the DSL1 unloaded in this way.

While part of the reason I got the smaller amp may have turned out to be misinformation, I don’t feel bad having both. They’re different tools and don’t really cross over that much in my view- and I’ve had several real 70’s Plexis and an original JCM800 Over the years. The DSL can kinda do classic sounds, but has a much wider palette and doesn’t nail them as well as the Origin does if that’s all you wanted. The Origin is much more of a one trick pony though, although it does have some very pretty cleans available too if you don’t go straight for the Beano tone - it can do some very creditable early Knopfler tones - but it’s also less domesticated from my POV. You’d probably want a load box and cabinet sim if you really wanted the best from it as a headphone amp by which time you’ve added enough to buy a DSL1HR and have change...

Last edited:

CLewis29

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but my 1HR is extremely bright. I recently replaced the tubes with Mullard 12ax7 GrooveTubes 12ax7R and a JJ 12AT7 and it sounds better but I also keep it in the .1 setting so the neighbors aren’t to upset with me.

Latest posts