Dsl1hr reverb issue

• Thread starter TheBlindWolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlindWolf

Reaction score
Just bought this head open box, and after about an hour the reverb sounds like a snowstorm. If I turn it all the way down everything is fine, and if I turn the head off for about a minute the problem goes away for about another hour.

As the reverb is digital I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting, especially since I imagine this is something overheating but the tubes are fine.

Anyone else experienced this? I got it dialed in perfectly for recording and I have a digital reverb pedal and a true spring tank pedal I could use but I'd like the reverb that comes with to work. Thanks in advance.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought this head open box, and after about an hour the reverb sounds like a snowstorm. If I turn it all the way down everything is fine, and if I turn the head off for about a minute the problem goes away for about another hour.

As the reverb is digital I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting, especially since I imagine this is something overheating but the tubes are fine.

Anyone else experienced this? I got it dialed in perfectly for recording and I have a digital reverb pedal and a true spring tank pedal I could use but I'd like the reverb that comes with to work. Thanks in advance.
:welcome: to the forum.
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the amp.

If by "open box" you mean you bought it from a retailer with a return policy, I'd suggest returning it, or exchanging for another if possible.
The digital reverb is part of a replaceable PCB board, but the cost of doing so may not be worth it compared to the cost of the amp.

Marshall digital reverb is also notoriously disliked by many.
If returning isn't possible, and you have pedal options, "abandon in place" may be the best solution.

TheBlindWolf

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the amp.

If by "open box" you mean you bought it from a retailer with a return policy, I'd suggest returning it, or exchanging for another if possible.
The digital reverb is part of a replaceable PCB board, but the cost of doing so may not be worth it compared to the cost of the amp.

Marshall digital reverb is also notoriously disliked by many.
If returning isn't possible, and you have pedal options, "abandon in place" may be the best solution.
Is the board readily available for purchase? I imagine I could do it myself. If not I've just wasted a small fortune on parts to build a jtm 45. 😎

I suppose I can live without the reverb as I have two excellent options for reverb since neither my vox nor orange heads have them.

Thanks for the quick response.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the board readily available for purchase? I imagine I could do it myself. If not I've just wasted a small fortune on parts to build a jtm 45. 😎

I suppose I can live without the reverb as I have two excellent options for reverb since neither my vox nor orange heads have them.

Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry again, but I have no idea as to availability of the required parts, or how involved the fix would be.
My main point was the amp shouldn't have been sold with a dysfunctional reverb, unless it was stated as such.
The cost of the "open box" amp plus repairs may exceed the cost of a new one.
You should be able to return it, even if it was a private sale.

If you can't return it, perhaps start a thread in the workbench sub-forum, or see if you can at least find a schematic.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I know this is not what you want to hear, but in most cases, built in Reverb sucks. If it doesn't work, the amp is doing you a favor and if you really want reverb, use your pedal. I got a SC20H a few months ago and since it is a little brother to the big boy JCM 800, it really has no bells and whistles just EFX loop. I thought I really liked/needed reverb, but TBH, I have not missed it at all.

This is probably what you need to do. The place you bought it probably knew it was broken and sold it as an open box anyway. File a warranty claim and get it fixed if you want to keep it or return it, spend more to get a brand new one or a bigger/different head.

Latest posts