DSL20 vs DSL5

• Thread starter Matt-J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-J

Reaction score
Hi everyone, and apologies if this has been covered before (done a bit of searching but not quite found what I'm looking for).

Without going into the backstory of how this came to be, I possess both a DSL5CR and a DSL20HR and have used both (as heads, through the same 1x12 cab) with the pub covers band I play with. Along the journey of acquiring both and deciding what to use when, I have done a little bit of A/B comparison between the two, and I am slightly intrigued by my apparent findings.

It seems to me that the DSL5 actually cleans up better/has noticably less gain than the DSL20, certainly on the clean channel. Does this correlate to anyone else's perceptions? I would have thought the 20 would better for this...,

I personally like having a really crisp un-dirty clean tone, particularly when playing a wide range of covers, but I couldn't make the 20w do this as well as the 5w. There maybe some factors skewing my findings eg the only way I can compare like-for-like high volume settings is through a DI and load box, and I don't know where speaker distortion starts to become a factor? However, so far my perception has been upheld at every turn and I keep co.ing back to the 5w.....which seems a shame as the 20w has a slightly fuller sound to my ear so'd be a shame not to use it for the larger gigs.

What do people think to this, anything in it or is it just me? And if not just me, can anyone suggest why this might be (spec comparison etc.....not that I've managed to gleam anything from what's listed online).

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
It seems to me that the DSL5 actually cleans up better/has noticably less gain than the DSL20, certainly on the clean channel. Does this correlate to anyone else's perceptions? I would have thought the 20 would better for this...,
I've never played the 5C or CR, so I'm not sure how they respond at different volumes.
I went from the 1HR to the 20HR.
The 20 gets some power tube gain as the volume is increased, even on the Classic (green) channel.
If you want less gain on the 20 clean, you could try a lower gain factor tube in V1.

Matt-J

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.

I've never played the 5C or CR, so I'm not sure how they respond at different volumes.
I went from the 1HR to the 20HR.
The 20 gets some power tube gain as the volume is increased, even on the Classic (green) channel.
If you want less gain on the 20 clean, you could try a lower gain factor tube in V1.
Thanks.....tell me more....

Will that affect the OD channel too? Either way, any other tonal side effects? Where would I start to work out what to put in.....any recommendations?

Is the V1 a preamp valve position...? Other than knowing there are preamp and power amp valves, and there are different sorts I know nothing lol

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.....tell me more....

Will that affect the OD channel too? Either way, any other tonal side effects? Where would I start to work out what to put in.....any recommendations?

Is the V1 a preamp valve position...? Other than knowing there are preamp and power amp valves, and there are different sorts I know nothing lol
V1 (closest to the input) is 1/2 for classic and 1/2 for Ultra.
V2 (middle of the small tubes) is 1/2 for 2nd Ultra gain stage and 1/2 for the loop (i think).
V3 (closest to the power tubes) is the phase inverter.

Lots of options for lower gain tubes in V1 & V2

R.76b098dc37835b1e05f066e04cb35f51

Different power tubes can also increase clean headroom.
Speakers matter.
Welcome down the rabbit hole...
rabit hole giphy.gif

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Would an ECC832 work in V1 to lower Clean gain, and the Ultra too in a DSL20?
The Clean would get the x17 triode if the circuit is the same as a 40CR.
Ultra would get x17 & x100.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would an ECC832 work in V1 to lower Clean gain, and the Ultra too in a DSL20?
ECC832 in V1 would lower the gain on Classic (green) to ECC82 and keep the gain the same on Ultra (red) ECC83.
I have the opposite ECC823 in my 20HR V1 for just the opposite reason.
I like the lower gain on red, and if I also wanted lower gain on green, I might just try a 82 in V1 to lower both.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
ECC832 in V1 would lower the gain on Classic (green) to ECC82 and keep the gain the same on Ultra (red) ECC83.
I have the opposite ECC823 in my 20HR V1 for just the opposite reason.
I like the lower gain on red, and if I also wanted lower gain on green, I might just try a 82 in V1 to lower both.
But the Ultra channel gets both triodes.
That means x17 and x100, instead of two times x100 (ECC83).

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh... :scratch: :D
So If I don't mind the classic channel not getting any gain (for pedals), and I want to tame the ultra channel even more, I could replace the 823 with just an 82, or 802, or something in between?
Might give that a try. :yesway:
Thanks.

Matt-J

Reaction score
Just to resurrect this quickly.....I'm going to give the ECC82 a try as I find there's too much gain for my liking on the ultra channel too.

BUT.....before I do...

One difference between the two which (from my position of ignorance) seems like it could be a pretty notable one, is that the power tube in the DSL5 is a '12BH7'....whatever that is. How do these compare to the EL34s in the DSL 20? The one place I found anything on google suggests the 12BH7 is particularly clean as a power amp valve...but I thought EL34s were supposed to be fairly clean too, no?