SV20H VS “REAL” Plexi

• Thread starter FrostyTheSnake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Yo
I’ve found the amp for me in the SV20H.

However, the GAS in me wants a “rEaL” Plexi.

Can you fine people point me in the right direction. 1987x or 59HW or older superlead reissue?

What am I missing with the SV20H that I gain from the big lads. I use Captor X to play at home and have no band to speak of. Although I would LOVE an old man cover band down the road, besides the point.

I would LOVE sonic results recorded if anyone has any? The forums say the bigger iron and bigger heads sound fuller, more low end, beefier, creamer, rounder, fuller, louder. I would love to hear this!

This thread if just for comparison sake, I LOVE the studio line and they really have me by the short and curlies wanting me to “upgrade” to the real Plexi.

My playing style :

You’ve received plenty of perspective
I’ve found the amp for me in the SV20H.

However, the GAS in me wants a “rEaL” Plexi.

Can you fine people point me in the right direction. 1987x or 59HW or older superlead reissue?

What am I missing with the SV20H that I gain from the big lads. I use Captor X to play at home and have no band to speak of. Although I would LOVE an old man cover band down the road, besides the point.

I would LOVE sonic results recorded if anyone has any? The forums say the bigger iron and bigger heads sound fuller, more low end, beefier, creamer, rounder, fuller, louder. I would love to hear this!

This thread if just for comparison sake, I LOVE the studio line and they really have me by the short and curlies wanting me to “upgrade” to the real Plexi.

My playing style :

plenty of perspective, but I might as well share mine. Lol. I would say the gain achieved by the SV20H is closer to a 1987 Lead 50, but they're all in the same ballpark sonically when recording through cabinet/speaker IR’s. I’m really impressed with how well Marshall replicated the feel of the 50/ 100 at a lower output.

That said, when compared to vintage 50s or 100’s, you’ll notice a difference.

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Yo

plenty of perspective, but I might as well share mine. Lol. I would say the gain achieved by the SV20H is closer to a 1987 Lead 50, but they're all in the same ballpark sonically when recording through cabinet/speaker IR’s. I’m really impressed with how well Marshall replicated the feel of the 50/ 100 at a lower output.

I have to try one now, just even for the sake of trying one! :applause:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
For the money, Ceriatone is higher build quality and lower cost than Marshall, and if you want anything customized you have that option when buying.

I'm looking at their shipping rates, and if I'm understanding them correctly it's by weight... and a JCM800 2203 clone is around ~50lbs, so $600+ just in shipping?

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Players using them live (many posting here) concede they sound the part but do not feel the part under their fingertips.

The feel is pretty dern close. Especially when you tweak the proximity settings on the cabinet IR's to get some room-mic airiness. It's the complete lack of sound pressure and thump that may or may not be an issue.

Carl M

Reaction score
I have all sizes of Marshall heads. Origin 20 (20w which can be set to 0.5w and 3w), SV20H (20w which can be set to 5w), 1987 (50w), Super Lead MkII (100w) and Super Bass (100w).

The big ones are always too loud for rehearsals and small stages (but they are great for recordings and playing alone). That's why I really like my SV20H with its two power settings. I do miss a 10w setting, but it's still great to be able to switch between 5w and 20w and matched with a really good cab and suitable stompboxes it sounds and responds great for someone like me who has played vintage Marshalls since the age of 13 and struggled for decades to get THAT sound at a usable volume level.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Waiting for Marshall to show up with my new JCM800.
Hey Marshall, where is it at?

In the mean time, I purchased a 5150 EVH WHITE amp head 80 watts.
This is an awesome sounding amp.

Many varied great tones are available to dial up.
Every setting I have tried so far has been very pleasing.

I am very surprised at how great this amp sounds in a 1960a cab.
There are some who have bashed this amp on the internet, but don't believe them.
This EVH 5150 rocks.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
My Silver Jubilee 20 watt faces the same issue as the SV20 at only 20 watts.
NO BALLS
Great sonic tone for recording or late night practice, but NO BALLS

Reaction score
Mojotone sells kits 50 or 100 watt clone Marshall’s if you must have a 50 or 100 watt to get your feet even wetter for a lot less and you get the satisfaction of building it yourself which I think is great , When done you’ll know the ends and outs of build and quality of your amp
I do this with guitars as well . I want what I want not what there selling … I found a guitar builder locally I have the body I wanted the neck , my choice of pickups , saddle , etc and when done you got what you wanted not what big Corporation is selling same with amps I know I rambled but that’s my 2-cents
I tried to load pics but it’s saying there to large

FrankD77

Reaction score
Wanted to respond to the "no place for 20"
I mostly play and record at home.
For me the dsl20 is perfect
I'm plugging it straight into a capture x

And the advantage of the 20 should be that you can switch and mix tubes yourself.

My 100w carvin always have to be brought to an expert.

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
Wanted to respond to the "no place for 20"
I mostly play and record at home.
For me the dsl20 is perfect
I'm plugging it straight into a capture x

And the advantage of the 20 should be that you can switch and mix tubes yourself.

My 100w carvin always have to be brought to an expert.
One often overlooked and EXCELLENT feature of the studio line.

svinyard

Reaction score

Hey question, why don't you play the 50w on tour instead of the SV20?

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Hey question, why don't you play the 50w on tour instead of the SV20?
We keep a lower stage volume. I used 50 watt Marshall's in my earliest days touring with Sheryl, but even then with an attenuator. From there, our stage volume has gradually dropped, whicht was the personal drive behind my partnership with Dan Boul and 65amps back in 2005, to get that sound at lower volumes.

Since then, the SV20 has enabled me to get the Lead 50 sound and feel at the perfect stage volume for our show.

FrostyTheSnake

Reaction score
We keep a lower stage volume. I used 50 watt Marshall's in my earliest days touring with Sheryl, but even then with an attenuator. From there, our stage volume has gradually dropped, whicht was the personal drive behind my partnership with Dan Boul and 65amps back in 2005, to get that sound at lower volumes.

Since then, the SV20 has enabled me to get the Lead 50 sound and feel at the perfect stage volume for our show.
Great to read!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
YES, that's why we do it! The sheer PHYSICALITY of a big amp run wide open carries with it a fun factor that can't be duplicated, and never adequately translates to a less abusively loud setup. What hurts the ears, is a massage for all the rest of you. It's that good to experience.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I have plugged the Silver Jubilee DI into another tube amp at 100 watts and added a 4x12 cab.
Now it is starting to have balls.
Do you need a load on it at the same time? I have a SC20H that I could probably do the same thing through my DSL100H clean channel.

Can you give me more details? Thanks!!

mallcorn

Reaction score
Is that you playing in the video? If so I’ve spoken to you on YouTube before. AMAZING playing. Just brillant.

I actually went the attenuator route when I had a SC20H. Even though like you said the amp had master volume it still sounded dead and lifeless with master low down. So needed to be cranked and attenuated to come to life. Hence my route to Plexi. If I’m gonna need to crank it anyways I may as well go Plexi.

Now I use Captor X so for my needs it’s best of both worlds, as I love recording also.

Thanks for the input on the 59HW. Sounds just like the amp of my dreams as I use an SD1 for gain on a hairy amp already. I like the amp to be cleanish and add gain from pedal (like many others).
Wasn't me playing in the video although I can dial in the exact sound using the SV20, PSII, and SD-1. My gear varies from Matt's as my 4x12 cab has G12H30s 55hz, and my guitar is 2015 Custom Shop True Historic '59. These really don't make the difference. The sound is the SV20 and PSII. The feel is in the hands and of course knowing how to dial back the guitar volume to around 5 and use the PSII and SV20 to refine so you get the percussive feel and dynamic response.

Last edited:

Xabas

Reaction score
I can really vouch for an early 90s slp reissue (up to about '94 - the ones without fx loop), which are basically same amps as the 80s jcm 800 1959s ones both in quality and components.
The trannies were still made in england like those in the mid and late 70s using the same manufacturing procedures and without any environmental regulations etc..

Its what i did with my SV20H, which was an ok amp but didnt stand a chance against the '92 SLP reissue which replaced it eventually.

And regarding what i said above ive tracked 4 iterations of changes in the slp reissues production which was introduced in '96 (but starting even as early as 93 when the slp was introduced as that model was already made using lower plate voltages like 475v which is mentioned in Doyle's book).

Keysdweller

Reaction score
Nostalgia wants me to buy another 100-watt head, but I doubt I will ever use the 100-watt amp I already have for a gig again. I use the 20-watt Marshalls with pedals and occasionally a modeler with FRFR speaker nowadays. I'm also one of the few people who don't believe in attenuators. I see no reason to attenuate a 100-watt amp and burning up tubes to play at a low volume. Get an amp with a master volume. In my younger years, it was 100-watt amps cranked up all the time. I'm lucky I still have decent hearing. It's all good and whatever makes you a happy musician is all that matters.