Marshall SV20H or 1987X

Old Punker

Reaction score
I
I have the 2266 50 Vintage Modern and the 2466 100W Vintage Modern heads. For me, the difference is not nuance, not slight..it is significant.

The "bigger iron" also reflects more instantly available current capacity in the power supply, and often, but not always a higher voltage available. These are things that make a huge difference when dealing with a complex load (ie a loudspeaker), particularly with regard to transients.

The ability of the bigger amp to deliver and control transients is most evident in the bass region, and presents as more depth, fuller and tighter. Transients across the board sound faster, more immediate and just hit you with impact.

my 2c anyway
I'm no expert but aren't these differences usually just noticeable at higher volumes? Not so much at home friendly volume?

Old Punker

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I come here because I need your help. I hesitate between 2 amps. I specify that I would buy a Torpedo Captor X in the 2 cases. I hesitate between the Marshall SV20H and the Marshall 1987X. Has anyone been able to compare the two? Is it better to go directly to the 50w rather than the small one which already sounds very loud? I love the sound of the 1987X in tests I've seen on YouTube. But this SV20H seems to sound just as good.
Thank's for you're advice
I have no personal experience with either of the amps you mentioned, as I am mainly a MV amp guy. But if I were in your position and price was not a consideration, I would probably go for the 1987X, since you are going to use whichever amp you get with an attenuator anyway. Either way, from what I've seen in online videos, you're going to have a killer rig.

rolijen

Reaction score
1987x, hands down. I like the SV20, don’t get me wrong. But if 100 guitarists were to do a side-by-side comparison of the 1987x and SV20, 100 would prefer the girth and ballsiness of the 1987x over the SV20.

I’ve owned many Marshalls over the past 40+ years and the ones I have now (and I have no desire to have any others) are the 1987x, SC20H, and SV20H, in that order of preference.

All three are great amps, but the goodness found in the SV20 is greatness in the 1987x. And, already having the bigger 1987x, if I were stuck in a choice between the SV20 and SC20, I’d go with the SC20.

But, all that said, there is still magic in that SV20. In fact, I sold my SV20 to a buddy because the 1987x is so much better. But, I started to miss the SV20 soon thereafter. About 6 months later, he offered to sell it back to me and I gladly bought it back. It’s a fun amp that is clearly in the classic plexi zone. And it’s so easy to carry around, I think it’s a definite keeper.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I come here because I need your help. I hesitate between 2 amps. I specify that I would buy a Torpedo Captor X in the 2 cases. I hesitate between the Marshall SV20H and the Marshall 1987X. Has anyone been able to compare the two? Is it better to go directly to the 50w rather than the small one which already sounds very loud? I love the sound of the 1987X in tests I've seen on YouTube. But this SV20H seems to sound just as good.
Thank's for you're advice
If you can find someone to mod your sv20h with a pre phase inverter master volume then go for the sv20h

jeffp

Reaction score
i will always go for the bigger amp !That’s just me. But maybe? there’s always different scenarios!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
1987x, hands down. I like the SV20, don’t get me wrong. But if 100 guitarists were to do a side-by-side comparison of the 1987x and SV20, 100 would prefer the girth and ballsiness of the 1987x over the SV20.

I’ve owned many Marshalls over the past 40+ years and the ones I have now (and I have no desire to have any others) are the 1987x, SC20H, and SV20H, in that order of preference.

All three are great amps, but the goodness found in the SV20 is greatness in the 1987x. And, already having the bigger 1987x, if I were stuck in a choice between the SV20 and SC20, I’d go with the SC20.

But, all that said, there is still magic in that SV20. In fact, I sold my SV20 to a buddy because the 1987x is so much better. But, I started to miss the SV20 soon thereafter. About 6 months later, he offered to sell it back to me and I gladly bought it back. It’s a fun amp that is clearly in the classic plexi zone. And it’s so easy to carry around, I think it’s a definite keeper.
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts. While the Studio amps are good, they can't really compete with the tonality and as you put it, "ballsiness" of the larger amps. I still play through my Studio amps occasionally, but always return to the big boys.

plexipaul

Reaction score
I think the key is "operating voltage". Some seem to forget that the Studio amp(s) power section is being reduced to around 20w by basically starving the power tubes of voltage. Lower voltages/power does not require larger transformers. A clever approach to using 2 EL34's in a 20w amp, but it does come with some compromise.
^
What he said.
Who wants to run his sportscar with a tiny carburetor, or running on diesel?

MarshaMesa1999

Reaction score
I've played quite a few live shows over the years. Have also done tons of recording as well. I can tell you, the SV20H is loud enough to play anywhere these days. Sound men really don't like big amps and haven't for some time. My bandmate had an 87x and it was at my house for years. Tried it many times but its just too loud. This is a nice compromise. Even the 5 watt setting is beefy.

Latest posts