Marshall SV20H or 1987X

PelliX

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers. I have no band at the moment so no movement. The budget is not a problem that's what makes me hesitate. I've been saving money for a long time for this new amp. My first idea is the SV20H but I'm afraid to regret and think that the 1987x might sound better. Not easy to decide...

Both amps are easy to sell on without incurring substantial loss. If you get the SV20 new, you could even return it if it left you a little disappointed in most cases.

I would personally advise neither amp *before* you try them out. Then it's up to you, really... :)

johan.b

Reaction score
Can people please drop this "is the transformer " nonsense... in 5 watt mode the SV20 transformer is oversized by a factor of 4.... it's good for 20watts... If it was transformer size. This would sound biggest..
... what you hear is power.. that's all.. and that was the whole point of the studio amps. To get a lower power plexi and 800. Wasn't it?.... isnt that what everyone asked for...a low watt plexi/800...

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Can people please drop this "is the transformer " nonsense... in 5 watt mode the SV20 transformer is oversized by a factor of 4.... it's good for 20watts... If it was transformer size. This would sound biggest..
... what you hear is power.. that's all.. and that was the whole point of the studio amps. To get a lower power plexi and 800. Wasn't it?.... isnt that what everyone asked for...a low watt plexi/800...
True, to some degree. If you put physically larger transformers in an SV, but still ran the output tubes at the lower voltage they're running at, it would still sound about the same, and different than the 1987x, which is running it's output tubes at nominal voltages. So, it "is" about the larger transformers, but only if the amp design utilizes the larger transformers.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 2266 50 Vintage Modern and the 2466 100W Vintage Modern heads. For me, the difference is not nuance, not slight..it is significant.

The "bigger iron" also reflects more instantly available current capacity in the power supply, and often, but not always a higher voltage available. These are things that make a huge difference when dealing with a complex load (ie a loudspeaker), particularly with regard to transients.

The ability of the bigger amp to deliver and control transients is most evident in the bass region, and presents as more depth, fuller and tighter. Transients across the board sound faster, more immediate and just hit you with impact.

my 2c anyway
Oh yeah I get all that, bigger iron bigger sound, no doubt.

I’m just a little surprised that there’s that big a difference in amps, Marshalls, just 10 watts apart.

I guess when I think of sounding bigger, I think more in terms of like a 50 watt amp compared to like a 20 or 25 watt amp. Or a 100 watter to a 50 watter.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Oh yeah I get all that, bigger iron bigger sound, no doubt.

I’m just a little surprised that there’s that big a difference in amps, Marshalls, just 10 watts apart.

I guess when I think of sounding bigger, I think more in terms of like a 50 watt amp compared to like a 20 or 25 watt amp. Or a 100 watter to a 50 watter.
At the end of the day, I think if you can play a stock 100W Marshall head for its power-tube distortion, then more power to you for handling that volume level. I can't. That is jumping-out-of-your-skin loud for most of my dealings at those volume levels. I can handle being at a gig if I am standing well back from them, but wow on accidentally being around a 100W Marshall on high volume when a guitar sound goes through it. Man, your heart practically jettisons out from your mouth. It's like a lion suddenly showed up.

I need to attenuate 20W because it is still too loud. I was flooring my Origin 50W head today with a Friedman BE-OD. Again I had to attenuate considerably to be in a 90 dB zone of loud.

So you know, 100W will sound fuller, bigger, and different, and you might even call it better IF you can handle those volumes. As soon as we start getting the attenuator involved and then loadboxes and IRs, I think it becomes hard to tell the difference between wattages, especially in a recording.

Also, I think the whole wattage thing is a bit of a misnomer because a 15W Tweed Custome Deluxe and a 30W Vox AC are also loud enough to do the whole jumping-out-of-your-skin thing.

Just my opinion.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Got a lot of experience with both amps both at home and on stage and while I love the SV20 I would have to agree the 1987x is bigger badder and better. That being said, if I am in the US and have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket for some badass Marshall tone I’m prob not going Marshall these days. So much more bang for your buck elsewhere

Last edited:

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I keep wondering why people are calling the 1987X a JTM 45 and stating 30 watts... JTM 45 model number is 2245, not 1987X, and the 1987X is a 50 watt amp (I own both, well, not the "X" version, a '72 version ;-) ). So, considerably more 'oomph' than a 20 watt amp. As smart as everyone on this board is, I keep feeling I must be missing something, I've not been drinking or anything, LOL. :shrug:

That said, for the OP, seems like the 50 watt amp should be your choice, since you will have attenuation. 50 watt Plexi, baby!

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I keep wondering why people are calling the 1987X a JTM 45 and stating 30 watts... JTM 45 model number is 2245, not 1987X, and the 1987X is a 50 watt amp (I own both, well, not the "X" version, a '72 version ;-) ). So, considerably more 'oomph' than a 20 watt amp. As smart as everyone on this board is, I keep feeling I must be missing something, I've not been drinking or anything, LOL. :shrug:

That said, for the OP, seems like the 50 watt amp should be your choice, since you will have attenuation. 50 watt Plexi, baby!
Yeah if you aren't moving them at all and you have no space or noise restrictions...and I have and enjoy both the SC20 and SV20. Gigged the SV last weekend and it sounded great. But it isn't a 50 NMV Marshall

tallcoolone

Reaction score
But that’s not what it is though either. Different tools. The 100w would have been waaaay too much for that room last week, the 20w was perfect. At a certain attenuation point the big amps just get too choked down and spitty, even with a reamper. That’s where the Studio amps excel.

Now if volume and space aren’t an issue rock the big boy, need all of em if u ask me :yesway:

AmpAddict

Reaction score
Can we interest you in a matching pair of 1960 cabs to go with it?

What be this witchcraft?! And yet I find myself unable to cast out these devils...temptation at every turn...

What is that sound? It's as if I'm on a remote Scottish island with a nubile blonde banging the walls of the room next door, willing me into her wanton ways... Oops, no...just left the delay pedal on!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Yeah, the SV20 is a small compromise compared to a 50 watt 1987 and a considerably larger compromise to a 100 watt 1959. in reality though, I consider that compromise to be rather small, compared to the extra versatility that the lower wattage provides! With that said, I'm still itchin' to try a JTM45/2245! The big downside for me is no effects loop!
Still Screechin' & Squawkin'
Gene

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Don't need any effects for tone, but your suggestion doesn't feed the lones of my severe, synchronized, tap tempo delay/echo addiction! :naughty: And no, delay simply does NOT sound as good out front, as it does in a good loop!
Just SAYIN' - SAYIN' - SAYIN'
Gene

Latest posts