Dsl20cr - Fourth Time's A Charm??

• Thread starter guitarman3001
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman3001

Reaction score
Got my fourth DSL20 combo today. If you followed my posts in an of the other recent DSL20 threads you'll know the nightmare I went through. Three brand new defective ones in a row.

Fourth one came in today and so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Emulated out works as it should (channel volumes actually work through the emulated out), effects loop works properly and has enough headroom for a volume boost on either channel when I use a clean boost pedal, after it warms up, if I switch back and forth between 10 and 20 watt modes, the volume controls continue to work.

It also isn't making the boiling-water noise that several people have reported. The first three I had didn't make that noise either but I was worried that this one might. There's a very low volume hiss but nothing out of the ordinary for a tube amp, although most of my other amps don't make any hiss at all. No big deal...I've also had amps that have a much higher noise floor.

Let's see how it holds up in the long run. I won't be able to test it at a gig until three weeks but I will be able to use it at a band practice which is what I originally intended to use it for.

Oh, and when changing from the dirt to the clean channel, if there's a note or a chord being played at the exact time the channel switches, it will make a fairly loud pop. The first three amps also did that so it's probably just a design flaw or a poorly spec'd part.

Ultimately you get what you pay for and I'm willing to accept a few quirks from a cheap amp, just not outright defects and broken features.

lovehifi

Reaction score
It also took me four 40CRs until I got one that worked correctly. I had all but given up but after the third decided one more time. Only because others said theirs worked fine or their replacements worked fine. That and the damn thing sounds so good. So far and a month later my last one seems to be okay.

guitarman3001

Reaction score
It also took me four 40CRs until I got one that worked correctly. I had all but given up but after the third decided one more time. Only because others said theirs worked fine or their replacements worked fine. That and the damn thing sounds so good. So far and a month later my last one seems to be okay.

What were the issues with yours?

ido1957

Reaction score
Mine has been with the dealer/repair shop for 2 months. They have 6 of these in for the same issues. Still waiting to see what will happen...

AlanH

Reaction score
Good luck with #4.

I may be tempted to pick one up to put on top of my DSL40C as a backup. Waiting until all these issues get resolved.

ken361

Reaction score
Glad my Origin has no issues there solid, just a tick noise here and there but im not going to cry about it:) wouldnt waste my time on the CR's bad design. My 40c been solid for almost 4 years but im playing the origin much more.

guitarman3001

Reaction score
Glad my Origin has no issues there solid, just a tick noise here and there but im not going to cry about it:) wouldnt waste my time on the CR's bad design. My 40c been solid for almost 4 years but im playing the origin much more.

The origins weren't perfect either. The entire first or maybe even first couple of production runs had an issue where you couldn't connect two cabs to them. Only one cab would work. Marshall's QC is utter crap these days.

guitarman3001

Reaction score
didnt really care about the speaker thing

But if yours has the problem, it's broken whether it bothers you or not. I've seen this to be a common attitude towards this defect. Many people are happy with a broken amp just because they might never use that feature. Knowing how prevalent this attitude is, I would never consider buying a used Origin. A used broken amp is worth maybe about 25% of what a non-broken amp is worth.

And this attitude is why amp makers have no problem releasing broken and poor quality products. They know many, if not most people will buy them anyway and simply not care that it's broken.

Antmax

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of DSL20's selling in Europe. Both the combo and head are their #1 top selling tube amps in those categories.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cat_rank.html?ar=431626

After the 20c the Blues Jr Junior Lacquered Tweed and Blues Jr take 2nd and third and is second place if you include modeling and other SS amps.

For ALL amp heads DSL20H is their top seller with the DSL1h 2nd and Kemper 3rd. Surprisingly the CODE100 head is 5th when the Katana 100 head is 8th.

If your looking at tube amps only Marshall JVM410H is 6th, Marshall DSL100HR 8th and Marshall Origin 20H Head 9th and mini silver jubilee at 13.

Considering Thomman is the EU's largest retailer, that must be a lot of DSL20's out there. Marshall seem to be having a lot of success in Europe right now and selling a LOT of amps.

Antmax

Reaction score
Tick noises Ken mentioned could be anything plugged into the buildings AC wiring. My HVAC sends a tick through the amp on occasions when the condenser fan kicks in outside. The amp shares the same wall and is about 6 feet away on a different circuit. But the quiet tick noise still comes through. Lots of things can add noise.

whitecloud

Reaction score
But if yours has the problem, it's broken whether it bothers you or not. I've seen this to be a common attitude towards this defect. Many people are happy with a broken amp just because they might never use that feature. Knowing how prevalent this attitude is, I would never consider buying a used Origin. A used broken amp is worth maybe about 25% of what a non-broken amp is worth.

And this attitude is why amp makers have no problem releasing broken and poor quality products. They know many, if not most people will buy them anyway and simply not care that it's broken.
My Origin 20h has the "corrected" speaker jacks labeled and 2 cabs at a time operating as it should. That said I wouldn't of been happy if they were "broken" as you say and would of investigated the best plan of action for replacement or fix. Back while waiting to purchase the amp was aware of this issue and at first thought I'd probably only use one cab and not as big a deal etc. but that mindset has changed and felt Marshall better address this and they must of with more recent shipments. Also now could see where I'd might use two cabs. I've mentioned on my NAD here and elsewhere of the footswitch issue being that while both sides of the pedal engaged on/off the Boost and FX loop the latter LED didn't light up. Marshall sent me a new footswitch however it is a bit larger and more heft and is not labeled but was provided label/stickers and both side on/off and light. Probably because this is a newer model of amp so my footswith will now say "Boost" and Effect" Also now that it "works" I can take apart the original and troubleshoot as it might just be an easy fix. They didn't ask me to return it. Anyway Glad number 4 is A OK at least for now and you enjoy your new amp

lovehifi

Reaction score
What were the issues with yours?

First one had FX loop issues. 2nd one had foot switch switching issues. 3rd had a noise issue where it had a low rumbling in the background and a loud hiss even at lower gain settings. 4th and current working great (so far) and sounds fantastic. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues to do so.

guitarman3001

Reaction score
First one had FX loop issues. 2nd one had foot switch switching issues. 3rd had a noise issue where it had a low rumbling in the background and a loud hiss even at lower gain settings. 4th and current working great (so far) and sounds fantastic. Keeping my fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Does your current one have any hiss at all or is it completely quiet even in a very quiet room?