DSL20hr clean channel?

• Thread starter Parkerx02
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-J

Reaction score
Ya, it holds up really well at volume. I'm still tweaking on the gain channel and as it sits, one tone setting is great for both channels(I hate when you have to readjust tone knobs when switching channels). If anything, the clean channel could use a tad more bass, and a tad less treble, but thats just me being anal. I am eventually going to install pots instead of r45 and r53 so the clean channel will have adjustable bass and treble and I'm going to try to add a switch to add more gain to the clean channel. Overall, this amp, especially the clean channel is night and day better than stock. I'm super happy with the clean and still working on the lead. I recently ditched the stock resonance gyrator for a conventional 1m pot/.0047. The amp doesn't have the swooshing noise in the background anymore
You listed the preamp valves you swapped in (though I don't think you mentioned which tung-sol in V1), but did you swap out the power amp valves?

Still studying this thread on and off....thinking about what I wanna try/do with mine!

Moony

Reaction score
It does have Marshall branded tube, power and pre's. They are all JJ's though. How are Marshall branded JJ's different from JJ branded JJ's?

Marshall probably used JJ EL34 II as powertubes in that amp (that's what they did with a lot of their amps since around 2015).
And they are indeed different from the regular JJ EL34.
I personally like the EL34 II better.

Parkerx02

Reaction score
You listed the preamp valves you swapped in (though I don't think you mentioned which tung-sol in V1), but did you swap out the power amp valves?

Still studying this thread on and off....thinking about what I wanna try/do with mine!
The tung sol is a 12ax7 reissue, I think from 2011. The power tubes are still stock JJ's

Parkerx02

Reaction score
Marshall probably used JJ EL34 II as powertubes in that amp (that's what they did with a lot of their amps since around 2015).
And they are indeed different from the regular JJ EL34.
I personally like the EL34 II better.
MIne don't say II on them. How are the II's different than the regular JJ el34's?

Matt-J

Reaction score
MIne don't say II on them. How are the II's different than the regular JJ el34's?
Having looked today....ditto (not labelled as II), though mine's been back to Marshall for an issue and had new power valves put in so I guess it's possible it had IIs originally.

Matt-J

Reaction score
Having looked today....ditto (not labelled as II), though mine's been back to Marshall for an issue and had new power valves put in so I guess it's possible it had IIs originally.

Matt-J

Reaction score

Moony

Reaction score

If they have the Marshall label on them, they don't say "II".
Just compare the construction to pics of the JJ EL34 and the EL34II - you'll easily find out which ones you've got.

The EL34II sound better imho, they have a more detailed sound and a bit more low end (not as much as the E34L though).