DSL20HR home run

• Thread starter tresmarshallz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Hope this isn't redundant, I searched a few pages of threads and was shocked to not see more on the DSL20HR. I just got one from Sweetwater and am pretty floored at the tones on both channels.
I had an Origin before this, but it did not work out, not near enough gain. I traded it in for the DSL20HR and am amazed at how much clear articulate gain can be had on this 20W amp. I owned several 50 and 100 watt DSLs and TSL back when they were the JCM2000 amps....I like them back then but their but never bonded with them enough to keep them.

Marshall have made great improvements to the red channel on the DSL, it is way more fat and chunky and the two channels are balanced more with the shared EQ. The green channel sounds great, I boost it hard and it sounds like an old school JCM 800 to my ears. This 20W sounds super powerful for home use, not sure how it would hold up to a heavy hitting drummer, but it has such clarity and definition for heavy power chords etc, I think it would do fine.

I was just surprised I did not see more postings on this in the forum. Getting a good sound out of either channel is effortless, add a good OD and your are serious tone town. There is no sharp ice picky thing going on like I remember from the jcm2000 line. I think this DSL may dethrone my Orange Rockerverb MK III as my favorite head of all time, and has me thinking about the DSL100HR too, I just wish they made a DSL50HR head.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope this isn't redundant, I searched a few pages of threads and was shocked to not see more on the DSL20HR. I just got one from Sweetwater and am pretty floored at the tones on both channels.
I had an Origin before this, but it did not work out, not near enough gain. I traded it in for the DSL20HR and am amazed at how much clear articulate gain can be had on this 20W amp. I owned several 50 and 100 watt DSLs and TSL back when they were the JCM2000 amps....I like them back then but their but never bonded with them enough to keep them.

Marshall have made great improvements to the red channel on the DSL, it is way more fat and chunky and the two channels are balanced more with the shared EQ. The green channel sounds great, I boost it hard and it sounds like an old school JCM 800 to my ears. This 20W sounds super powerful for home use, not sure how it would hold up to a heavy hitting drummer, but it has such clarity and definition for heavy power chords etc, I think it would do fine.

I was just surprised I did not see more postings on this in the forum. Getting a good sound out of either channel is effortless, add a good OD and your are serious tone town. There is no sharp ice picky thing going on like I remember from the jcm2000 line. I think this DSL may dethrone my Orange Rockerverb MK III as my favorite head of all time, and has me thinking about the DSL100HR too, I just wish they made a DSL50HR head.
I got 'em both, O20H & DSL20HR.
Yep, you're going to get more gain on the DSL...
I actually tamed the gain a little on my DSL20 with some 6CA7 power tubes and an ECC823 in V1.
It still has pleanty of attitude when the gain on the ultra channel is cranked.
I've also tried some different speakers in the MX112 cabs, and you can really change the feel of this amp with some different speakers.
I think the DSL100 heads have a 1/2 power mode, so there's your 50w option.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Congratulations, just fkkng great to hear a proud owner of his amp, and how kick ass it’s working for ya.
Cheers
Mitch

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Thanks, I am just surprised at how far the DSL circuit has evolved. As inexpensive as this was and not being made in England, I did not have high expectations....but they have really got this circuit dialed in. With the jcm2000 line I was always turning EQ knobs, changing tubes, transformers etc, to try and perfect it. With this one you can just set everything to the middle and it sounds killer, it is hard to get a bad sound. I don't think I have ever heard such a clear and powerful and articulate sound from a Marshall accross all levels of EQ and gain. It is just well balanced, you can dime the bass, or gain and it doesn't get flubby or fuzzy, the sound is usable pretty much accross all settings on the EQ/gain.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats @tresmarshallz ,... :cheers:

It’s great to hear you love your new amp. To me, it doesn’t get much better than buying new gear and loving it!

Yeah you’re right about the lack of Dsl20 discussions here, recently at least. I recall a lot more threads about the amp back in late 2018, and all through 2019 and into 2020.

Brek

Reaction score
Yeah I like mine, really liking the classic gain channel, the red channel is a nice overdrive (to my ears, with alnico 5 paf clones anyway), does not have the subtlety and responsiveness of my Pink Taco but for a 1/5 of the price, I can’t really expect it to. But for some heavier tones, yeah it’s solid value at present uk price.

63710A35-61D4-4D9E-A481-7EF3CBE9F964.jpeg

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD @tresmarshallz :applause:

Sounds way too easy to dial in a good tone. Lucky.

How's the clean on it? Any delay switching channels? Enough gain for metal?
Very easy to dial in just about anything - shared EQ, presence, resonance & reverb.
Clean on mine stays clear until way up on the volume & gain.
The classic channel will start to break up with some strong pick attack when cranked.
Flavor the front end with an OD of your choice - EQ & TE in the loop just adds more tone dynamics.
No issues with the channel switching, quick and silent, but I've heard of others having issues with this.
There's plenty of gain on tap with the ultra channel.
When I say I tamed mine with some tubes and speakers, I think I just got a little more control between 2-8 on the gain dial.
Crank it for '80s hair metal - no problem.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Wow, I must just be late to the party, I did not know this rendition was made years ago, I thought this current amp with revamped circuit and features was just released this year 2021, but I see I was wrong, the marshall website says it was released in 2018.

The green channel doesn't really do metal on it's own, but with an OD (or two) it is perfect for super tight clean metal sound ala jcm800. The red channel has plenty on it's own for metal, but I use an OD anyway. When using an overdrive on both channels I only have the preamp gain on 11 o'clock.

johnny q

Reaction score
I LOVE this little amp! I don't own one (yet) but I have borrowed my soundman's amp for gigs and rehearsals. I am using it this Friday night in fact. It is quite versatile and really cranks for a 20 watter. I use it through a 2x12 cab with G12H30s. Rimrock Mythical Overdrive out front for clean boost if needed.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I like mine, really liking the classic gain channel, the red channel is a nice overdrive, does not have the subtlety and responsiveness of my Pink Taco but for a 1/5 of the price, I can’t really expect it to. But for some heavier tones, yeah it’s solid value at present uk price.

View attachment 89087

And you have a JTM-1 a fantastic amp, I really Love mine :cheers:

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I got a new DSL20HR a month or so ago and at first was knocked out by it. But over time it's tone grated on me, I love the tone of my DSL1CR. So over time I've been modding the DSL20's preamp to be a lot more like the DSL1 and am getting happy with it again. The 2 preamps are identical other than cap and resistor values. I'm playing it thru either a Vintage 30 or a G12M Greenback. Probably take the PCB out one more time and be finished with it.

Brek

Reaction score
I got a new DSL20HR a month or so ago and at first was knocked out by it. But over time it's tone grated on me, I love the tone of my DSL1CR. So over time I've been modding the DSL20's preamp to be a lot more like the DSL1 and am getting happy with it again. The 2 preamps are identical other than cap and resistor values. I'm playing it thru either a Vintage 30 or a G12M Greenback. Probably take the PCB out one more time and be finished with it.
Interesting, I have trays of 1w resistors of multiple values, whatcha changing and what’s it done? I’m liking mine so far as is. But......

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s nice just to plug straight into that one, if I sit at far end of room I can cope with it dimed. It’s not a 2012 50th, date on it is 2016. Think I stuck an expensive Mullard ‘82 in it.

Mine is 2013 the offset version, at home it is the perfect amp, just a little reverb and straight in to the amp :)

Brek

Reaction score
Mine is 2013 the offset version, at home it is the perfect amp, just a little reverb and straight in to the amp :)

Well we ‘jacked the thread lol, yeah, would consider an offset at some point. Double price I paid for the combo on the odd one I see come up.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Glad youre liking it, its a near perfect amp, just a bit too scooped for my liking even with the mids dimed so I sent it back. If a mod was found to make the tone more open I'd be all over one again. Enjoy it buddy! :yesway:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
@ max Gagne...I can see what you may be referring too, it has a bright attack, I remember noticing this in my DSL100s years ago. At the time I got one modded to be not so bright, but hated it so put it back.
Are you modding your dsl20 to not be so bright?

Max Gahne

Reaction score
@tresmarshallz I guess I like bright because what I've done I don't think makes it less bright. But I can use my tone stack better which maybe makes it less bright in the end. Here's what I've done and most of this without doing any soldering so far. On mine which is a new 2021 C74, the dull cap on the ultra gain pot wiper, wasn't fitted. C21, the dull cap on the 3rd attenuator I did remove. So my DSL20 only has the same 3 plate load resistor dull caps that the DSL1 has although the DSL1's 3rd one is 470pf whereas the DSL20's is 220pf. I haven't experimented with that yet. The 2 biggest improvements to my ear didn't require soldering to try. The DSL1 has an 18K tone slope resistor, the DSL20 a 39K ( R16 ) I tied another 39K resistor to the legs of R16, in parallel, making it 19.5K. Close enough to 18K, I'm able to get my tone with the DSL1's tone stack but not with the 20 and now I can. Eventually I'll remove R16 and solder in an 18K. That made a big difference to me. The other big difference is that the three voltage dividers between the 4 gain stages in the DSL1 are ~50%-50%-50%. In the DSL20 they're ~60%-50%-40%. Roughly, I'm rounding off. That third 40% attenuator is too small and to my ear overcooks the 4th stage. It's made from a 470K (R13) series and 680K (R29) shunt resistor. I simply tied a 1.5M resistor across the legs of R29 in parallel making it 468K and increasing the attenuation to 50%. That made a big difference to me. I play it with my gain dimed and out of the box it sounded overcooked. Now it's the way I like. The tone slope change and 3rd attenuator change have made the biggest differences to me so far and have made my DSL20 keepable. Taking out C21 and also reducing the first attenuator to 50%, didn't make as big a difference. I'll go back in and properly solder those tied in resistors once I'm thru experimenting. Keep in mind the part numbers I'm listing might not apply to yours and also I can for sure make mistakes. But now I like my DSL20 into a Vintage 30 which isn't a dull speaker. I may be about done with it.

Last edited:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Wow, @ max gahne, I think I see what you mean. I made a point today to play it for a while longer that usual and started to get treble ear fatigue, and it can’t be dialed out. That is what I remember not liking so much about my DSL100 years ago. I am glad you may have found a way to adjust it with mods etc. I want to keep the amp, so will probably play around with different tubes etc.