DSL20HR weird thump in 20 watt mode

TCF805

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I love my DSL20HR, but every time I put it in 20 watt mode, I get a weird thump that sounds like someone knocking on a door through the cab. I guess it's somewhere in the power amp, but I'm not sure. I got both amp and cab used. Anyway, hopefully someone has experienced this issue, too, and can help troubleshoot.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I love my DSL20HR, but every time I put it in 20 watt mode, I get a weird thump that sounds like someone knocking on a door through the cab. I guess it's somewhere in the power amp, but I'm not sure. I got both amp and cab used. Anyway, hopefully someone has experienced this issue, too, and can help troubleshoot.
Just to clarify:
Power on, standby in off (middle position), and you get a thump when you go from standby to 20w, but not standby to 10w?
Guitar and front end effects are plugged in?

TCF805

Reaction score
Just to clarify:
Power on, standby in off (middle position), and you get a thump when you go from standby to 20w, but not standby to 10w?
Guitar and front end effects are plugged in?
It's while I play in 20 watt mode no matter the volume level. So, not like a continuous knocking sound when I take the amp off standby, just when I play. It happens no matter the volume level in 20 watt mode, but It does not happen in 10 watt mode no matter the volume level.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's while I play in 20 watt mode no matter the volume level. So, not like a continuous knocking sound when I take the amp off standby, just when I play. It happens no matter the volume level in 20 watt mode, but It does not happen in 10 watt mode no matter the volume level.
Knocking while playing in 20w, not 10w.
Sorry, I've never had something like that happen to mine, but someone else may be of more assistance.
Given no other info, I'll still suggest pull & reset all tubes, and try different speaker cables if you have any.
Remove any pedals from the front end & loop, if applicable.
Try to eliminate common, easy to fix stuff, before looking into circuit issues, or taking for service.
If it's a new amp with warranty, find the paperwork....

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocking while playing in 20w, not 10w.
Sorry, I've never had something like that happen to mine, but someone else may be of more assistance.
Given no other info, I'll still suggest pull & reset all tubes, and try different speaker cables if you have any.
Remove any pedals from the front end & loop, if applicable.
Try to eliminate common, easy to fix stuff, before looking into circuit issues, or taking for service.
If it's a new amp with warranty, find the paperwork....
This^

Max Gahne

Reaction score
I had a different amp that used to do something like that. So I had the chassis out while playing it and could see a little flash out of one of the power tubes when I heard the thump. In my case it was a tube failing.

The reason I had the chassis out is because a knock like that is often a spark. I had the chassis out and the lights off in the room to see if I could see it.

TCF805

Reaction score
I had a different amp that used to do something like that. So I had the chassis out while playing it and could see a little flash out of one of the power tubes when I heard the thump. In my case it was a tube failing.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot. I got the amp used and didn't think to check the power tubes.

Latest posts