Marshall Origin 5C as first tube amp?

Moony

Reaction score
No worries he will never touch any of my amps. ;)

I like his videos though and don't think that everything he says is nonsense.
Maybe he's indeed wrong here and there, that's not up to me to judge - when I was reading the Metroamp forum in mid 2000s there were many highly skilled and knowledgeable people around - and they too debated one or two technical issues on which they didn't quite agree. I never had a problem with that.

His videos about the Origin came out end of last year.
I've experienced the Origin amps when they were released as I was very excited about them, even started a thread on a German forum before and collected every info I could get.
And I was disappointed then with how they sound.
They are just not for me and I stand by it, imho the DSL5C is a better amp than the Origin 5C.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
No worries he will never touch any of my amps. ;)

I like his videos though and don't think that everything he says is nonsense.
Maybe he's indeed wrong here and there, that's not up to me to judge - when I was reading the Metroamp forum in mid 2000s there were many highly skilled and knowledgeable people around - and they too debated one or two technical issues on which they didn't quite agree. I never had a problem with that.

His videos about the Origin came out end of last year.
I've experienced the Origin amps when they were released as I was very excited about them, even started a thread on a German forum before and collected every info I could get.
And I was disappointed then with how they sound.
They are just not for me and I stand by it, imho the DSL5C is a better amp than the Origin 5C.
I can understand that. The thing about origins is that they must be played loud. I am sure you know this. Even the 20 w version is not a bedroom amp really . I don't like the power scaling, never use it. Taste differ. We all shall follow the sound in our heads.

Denis St Guinefort

Reaction score
I owned an Origin 5C, I quickly dispense with for an Origin 20C.

It isn't for nothing Marshall discontinued the 5C. It was a good idea, however, the 8" speaker, no master volume, made it practically useless in the format Marshall put out on the market. It could work if you already own at least a good 1X12 cab, plus a decent distortion or overdrive pedal. If you don't, it certainly won't give you anything acceptable, clean or dirty.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Or 5 combos are great amps.
But lets pair apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

Nice small practice amp. Needs pedals to get a variety of tones.
It is a parlor amp. I don't think it was ever intened as a cure all product for frustrated guitar players.

A novalty at best.

I have even read about people trying to put a bigger driver in it.
After all the trouble of re-engineerig the speaker box, why not just spend more and get a bigger amp.
It would be easier to plug it into a larger cab.