DSL40C speaker swap?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tjnugent

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a DSL40C and currently have put my WGS Reaper 30 in it. It is better than the stock 70/80. I am thinking about the WGS ET65. I use the crunch channel for clean/plexi tone and don't touch the lead channel at all. I am looking for warm balanced with a beautiful clean tone and a little hair from the push button plexi side. What do you think about the ET65 for this type of thing?

Thanks,

TJ

cruisemates

Reaction score
I had a friend who bought DSL 40c and took it to a gig, I was listening and I remarked to him that is sounded great except on his strat where it sounded thin. Yes, he took it back and traded it for a BlackStar which he is very happy with.

I was looking for a grab & go amp myself (I usually play a dsl100 or an EVH 5150iii on stage - so you see I like pretty heavy gain). But I went to GC and liked the DSL40C in the store (playing a PRS).

When I got it home and on my furst jam session I noticed it sounded very thin, so I opened it up. I was pretty disappointed to see what I would call a "modern" (made in china - I assume) lightweight speaker that has to be neodymium. Those are like the speakers sold in the new cheaper Marshall 2x12 cabinets (except those are even lighter weight).

I put in a Vintage 30 and I think it is the perfect fit for that amp. And I generally don;t care for V30s much (I prefer G12-75 in a single 12-inch config). I would stay away from green backs or G12-65 or any other speaker that does not have very heavy magnet and beefy lowed. These amps can sound great but you need a strong speaker. The stock (I think it is a seventy-80 or something) does not work well at all IMO. It would be okay for home bedroom situations, but that is about it.

cruisemates

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a DSL40C and currently have put my WGS Reaper 30 in it. It is better than the stock 70/80. I am thinking about the WGS ET65. I use the crunch channel for clean/plexi tone and don't touch the lead channel at all. I am looking for warm balanced with a beautiful clean tone and a little hair from the push button plexi side. What do you think about the ET65 for this type of thing?

Thanks,

TJ

For the sound you are looking for I think it is a good choice. The G12-65 (and its clones) are made to supply that little bit of hair - unless you push them too hard, then you get a flabby sound - so for your moderate gain settings I think it is a good choice.

tjnugent

Reaction score
Cruise, what style music do you play? That may also have difference on your perception. I play Fender guitars and I find the DSL40c anything but thin sounding. Though I am not a metal guy.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put an Eminence Man-O-War 16 in my DSL40c, and I love it. Marty says the MOW is the G12-75 equivalent.

Had a Texas Heat in there and I loved that as well.

tjnugent

Reaction score
You would have to push an ET65 way hard to get it to flub out. I don't play at ear piercing levels, never have. I don't need to. I have in ear monitors and a great engineer.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Will have to crank it soon to see.
Hard to imagine a MOW flubbing out.

I have definitely seen it on a 10" speaker, but never on an Eminence.

I think the OP put the 70/80 back in and was done. Too bad...

I will bet the 70/80 is a GREAT speaker for a closed back cab.

I wonder if anyone here has an MX212 yet?

bman

Reaction score
In my opinion give the 70/80 that comes with it a little time to break in. Has a nice sag and big headroom. In fact I have yet to find a better sounding stock amp under $1000. Stores in my area are having trouble keeping them in stock.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
They do sound good stock . Once I replaced it with the Texas Heat the tone or range of of the speaker reveals what tone is possible. I will admit I did not let the 70/80 break in but highly doubt I would except the tone of the 70/80 compared to the Texas Heat. That is just my opinion on the tone I want to hear. I bet there is even a better sounding speaker out there but for know it gets close.

Rippenflesh

Reaction score
I just put an Eminence Man-O-War 16 in my DSL40c, and I love it. Marty says the MOW is the G12-75 equivalent.

Had a Texas Heat in there and I loved that as well.

How did the MOW work for you? I was reading up on them a couple of weeks ago and might be interested in getting one.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't got a lot of time on it yet, but both the MOW as well as the Texas Heat are very bass heavy, which required me to adjust the value of C19 to a bit lower cap.

Sounded a bit muddy on the Ultra channel (both ODI & ODII) before I put the lower value cap back in.

But now - OMG! I think it is almost perfect. I wanted to play a bit today to get some different riffs thru it, but alas, it was not to be...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I haven't got a lot of time on it yet, but both the MOW as well as the Texas Heat are very bass heavy, which required me to adjust the value of C19 to a bit lower cap.

Sounded a bit muddy on the Ultra channel (both ODI & ODII) before I put the lower value cap back in.

But now - OMG! I think it is almost perfect. I wanted to play a bit today to get some different riffs thru it, but alas, it was not to be...

You will get it Micky , It's a bitch when you have family and work so you are trying to juggle them all. At least for me.
I just got back from a 3 day get away yesterday and it was our 33rd anniversary. I ended up down in the garage putting the Texas Heat I got from you in the Fender Cab , then playing for about an hour. I received a evil eye for that . lol:scratch: :shred: :lol:

seattleman1969

Reaction score
Yes I have, but I've been fooled by demos too many times now and I just don't trust that they'll sound the same in my amp with my setup.

I have 2 Godins. (...for now) Both guitars have the same neck, mahogany/rosewood. The one on the left is a solid maple body loaded with MHD Straitjacket Tele set, the one on the right is a mahogany body loaded with MHD Stangkfingers.

Yes I need to tame the highs and the bottom needs to be tighter. There's kind of a "honk" throughout that I want to get rid of and the mids, well thats where most of the "honk" seems to be. I'm not sure if honk is the right word, I might not be describing it right.

I can say from experience the G12M65 Creamback sounds 1000 times better in the DSL40C than the stock 70/80. However, I had to do the C19 cap mod as well to kill some of the shrill. The issue I have is the softness/flubbiness with the low end. I am considering heavily switching to the G12H75 Creamback as all demos, side by side, I have heard between the two the highs have more clarity and the low end a much tighter punchier sound while maintaining the awesome mids! My opinion based on experience with my DSL40C

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I can say from experience the G12M65 Creamback sounds 1000 times better in the DSL40C than the stock 70/80. However, I had to do the C19 cap mod as well to kill some of the shrill. The issue I have is the softness/flubbiness with the low end. I am considering heavily switching to the G12H75 Creamback as all demos, side by side, I have heard between the two the highs have more clarity and the low end a much tighter punchier sound while maintaining the awesome mids! My opinion based on experience with my DSL40C

I tried both Creambacks in my DSL40 and they are very nice but they were brighter than I wanted, I have the Eminence CV-75 in the amp now and from what i have read it's based on the Vintage 30s from the 80s.

This speaker is FAT and warm with a big low end that stays tight with its 56 oz magnet, it adds more weight to the amp but worth it.

j-lagrassa-albums-gear-pics-picture10401-cv-7516.jpg
[/IMG]

madmoe70

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my seventy/80 with either a V30 or Vet 30. Can anyone make a recommendation? I play mostly metal and the seventy/80 isn't cutting it for me. Thanks.