• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL40CR + Diezel VH4-2 Pedal = Meh

sparks_mandrill

Reaction score
Hey folks, first timer here coming from reddit for all my Marshall and other guitar related discussions. I've got a DSL40CR which I adore. At the same time, I'm a tool head and picked up a VH4-2 pedal. While to my ears it sounds objectively superior through the effects loop, it's still just meh. It's just so gained out that it doesn't good (to me).

Has anyone tinkered with this same configuration. I haven't even really gotten close to AJ's tone yet, its that the gain is over the top.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi @sparks_mandrill and welcome to the MF :welcome:

You say you use the VH4-2 in the effects loop.
Just trying to interpret your signal chain here.
Is the VH4-2 being used as a preamp, or literally "in the effects loop"?

It is marketed as a Diezel 'in a box' preamp pedal, i.e. Guitar > VH4-2 > DSL FX Loop Return.
This method only uses the power amp of the DSL to amplify the signal from the VH4-2.

Or are you are using it actually 'in the loop', i.e. Guitar > DSL input > FX Send > VH4-2 > FX Return.
If so, you may be pushing the input of the VH4-2 too hard, even on the clean channel.
Also, that could introduce unwanted noise into the signal chain from the DSL preamp.

I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone that I use as a preamp with my VS65R, so the VS65R preamp is bypassed completely.
This is a switchable setup, using a Boss LS-2 to swap between the MT-2 and VS preamp (and an OD-20).
The LS-2 Output signal is then fed back to the start of the FX loop chain, into my TC Mimiq Doubler pedal.
I've tried the MT-2 out front too, but it sounds far better IMHO as a preamp pedal.
I would never use it inserted in the FX Loop after the VS65R preamp for the above reasons.

Hope all that makes sense to you.

BTW, I do have the DSL40CR too, but I use that hooked up in the 4 cable method to a Boss GT-100, with MIDI switching.
That setup allows me to slave the VS65R power amp for stereo.
Or, I slave the 40CR power amp to one out from the VS65R stereo board below.

20210404_161744-2000.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts