Dsl40cr Midi And Channel Access

• Thread starter ShatteredVitreous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Evening all

My DSL arrives tomorrow and just have A question regarding midi and channel select.

As I believe it's a two channel amp with 2 modes per channel. With the footswitch it ships with you can only access 2 channels on the amp so green/red, red/green, res/red and green/green.

If you use a midi footswitch can you have access to all channels and modes?

Very excited to receive this amp, thank you

Mike

Pat6969

Reaction score
Not as I read in the manual. Looks like channel, FX loop, and master volume. Not sure why they did this, hopefully I'm wrong.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Not as I read in the manual. Looks like channel, FX loop, and master volume. Not sure why they did this, hopefully I'm wrong.

Hi Pat

Yes I downloaded and read the manual and came to the same conclusion but just wanted to clarify.

Midi on the JVM was able to use all channels and modes and I was hoping it was the same.

I will find out tomorrow I guess.

Cheers

Mike

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
You should be able to use just about any MIDI footcontroller with the new DSL amps, but you will probably have to set up presets on a MIDI footcontroller because MIDI footcontrollers don't operate like the DSL footswitch.

The DSL footswitch is designed to use a single switch as a toggle for certain features, such as toggling the channels. MIDI footcontrollers generally do not allow their footswitches to toggle amp features like channel switching or effects loop on/off, which is why you will probably need to create presets (note: to be concise, the MIDI footcontroller might toggle features, but both devices would have to communicate using continuous controller messages, which the DSL does not if I'm not mistaken-it only responds to program change messages.

Another weird quirk of the new DSL series is that if you try to use the DSL footswitch and a MIDI device at the same time, the DSL will not respond to any MIDI messages (the DSL will only respond to the DSL footswitch). To me that's weird because there are several Marshall that will allow the use of the stock footswitch and a MIDI device at the same time (all amps in the JVM4 and JVM2 series, for example), so I'm not sure why they couldn't incorporate the same design into the new DSL; this may or may not matter to DSL owners, but to me it just strikes me as odd since the technology already exists for Marshall amps. The point is that if you use both the footswitch and a MIDI device, the DSL won't respond to MIDI messages.

Last edited:

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Hi Monster

Thank you for a very concise reply.

I used midi with the JVM and it was very successful. Had control over reverb, effects loop and all channels and modes. I am hoping the Dsl will allow me the same luxuries.

On the JVM I would just set the amp the way I wanted it, go to the midi channel above or below on the pedal, hit the save button twice the select a channel on the midi pedal and all would work perfect.

If the Dsl doesn't work out the JVM may be an option to go back to but the feedback was terrible and after a while overcome the quality of the sounds which I loved were lost everytime you stopped playing and it squealed like a pig.

Anyway hoping tomorrow will be a good day.

Regards

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Monster

Thank you for a very concise reply.

I used midi with the JVM and it was very successful. Had control over reverb, effects loop and all channels and modes. I am hoping the Dsl will allow me the same luxuries.

On the JVM I would just set the amp the way I wanted it, go to the midi channel above or below on the pedal, hit the save button twice the select a channel on the midi pedal and all would work perfect.

If the Dsl doesn't work out the JVM may be an option to go back to but the feedback was terrible and after a while overcome the quality of the sounds which I loved were lost everytime you stopped playing and it squealed like a pig.

Anyway hoping tomorrow will be a good day.

Regards

Invest in a noise gate.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Evening all

My DSL arrives tomorrow and just have A question regarding midi and channel select.

As I believe it's a two channel amp with 2 modes per channel. With the footswitch it ships with you can only access 2 channels on the amp so green/red, red/green, res/red and green/green.

If you use a midi footswitch can you have access to all channels and modes?

Very excited to receive this amp, thank you

Mike

After reading it again maybe you can switch between modes. It says the amp channels are mapped to every 4 PC values, that would be the four available channels I think?? If you figure it out tomorrow let me know, I have an L6 HXFX that I'd like to use to switch the amp instead of just using the TRS jack.

Reedduke

Reaction score
Marshall DSL 40 CR MIDI with my Boss MS3
MIDI CH 1
PC1 = Classic Gain Green
PC2 = Classic Gain Red
PC3 = Ultra Gain Green
PC4 = Ultra Gain Red

CC1 Num 14 / CC1 Val o = Master Green
CC1 Num 14 / CC1 Val 1 = Master Red

CC1 Num 13 / CC1 Val o = Loop Off
CC1 Num 13 / CC1 Val 1 = Loop On

peterplexi

Reaction score
MIDI CH 1
PC1 = Classic Gain Green
PC2 = Classic Gain Red
PC3 = Ultra Gain Green
PC4 = Ultra Gain Red

cspencer

Reaction score
There's still going to be a volume jump when switching channels. That's the problem with Vox Night Train. Depends on your preferred settings of course.

GibsonIntoMarshall

Reaction score
MIDI CH 1
PC1 = Classic Gain Green
PC2 = Classic Gain Red
PC3 = Ultra Gain Green
PC4 = Ultra Gain Red

Hey, Reedduke, thanks for the post. Very useful info, given the lack of information on the Internet. The instructions are there, but for the MIDI challenged in the world of guitar, the CC's are normally 'off'. I kind of figured we'd be using them here given the fact that the master volume and loop could be changed at the same time as the channels.

For others, the PC #'s should rotate, so PC5, PC9, PC13, PC17, etc are the same as PC1; PC6, PC10, PC14, PC18, etc would be the same as PC2; PC7, PC11, PC15, PC19, etc would be the same as PC3; and PC8, PC12, PC16, PC20, etc would be the same as PC4. According to the instructions, they repeat up to PC128. The CC numbers are constant.

zerdelyi

Reaction score
Hey, Reedduke, thanks for the post. Very useful info, given the lack of information on the Internet. The instructions are there, but for the MIDI challenged in the world of guitar, the CC's are normally 'off'. I kind of figured we'd be using them here given the fact that the master volume and loop could be changed at the same time as the channels.

For others, the PC #'s should rotate, so PC5, PC9, PC13, PC17, etc are the same as PC1; PC6, PC10, PC14, PC18, etc would be the same as PC2; PC7, PC11, PC15, PC19, etc would be the same as PC3; and PC8, PC12, PC16, PC20, etc would be the same as PC4. According to the instructions, they repeat up to PC128. The CC numbers are constant.
It’s okay, but passible to change these commands? If I would like, for example that let the preset U01-2 turn on the clean channel too on the amp.
And how to?
Thanks

gibsonguitarguy

Reaction score
MIDI CH 1
PC1 = Classic Gain Green
PC2 = Classic Gain Red
PC3 = Ultra Gain Green
PC4 = Ultra Gain Red

Just tried this with my ES5 and works exactly as described. Midi can control all the parameters on the DSL boys. Enjoy

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I run mine with MIDI control from a BOSS GT-100. I cannot see a way to have PC2, or any of its iterates (PC6, PC10, etc.), switch the DSL to anything but Classic Crunch. That goes for all the mapping. They are set.
I have not tried CC switching as there are not enough footswitches available on the GT-100 to spare after setting up OD, Delay and Chorus switching. I think the GT-100 can send CCs, but not sure.
If you can get hold of the DSL 6-Button footswitch it will work in tandem with MIDI switching (unlike the 2-Button).
This would give you the option to switch channels/modes, FX loop ON/OFF, and MVs within a MIDI switched patch.
That would be more control than CC switching could offer.
I know this because I have both.
I tried it out but abandoned the idea because I don't find I need MV or FX loop switching.
Also, patches I set up for each of the DSL modes didn't sound too good with channel modes they weren't tuned for.

mhk

Reaction score
Hi, i use my boss gt8 to control the dsl 40 cr, with a midi cable i can control the 2
channels and modes, and use a boss fs 5l (sub control) to control the master volumes (by assigning cc14 to the sub-control)
works pretty good that way, im very happy with the amp this way

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Welcome to the MF @mhk :welcome:

Hi, i use my boss gt8 to control the dsl 40 cr, with a midi cable i can control the 2
channels and modes, and use an boss fs 5l (sub control) to control the master volumes (by assigning cc14 to the sub-control)
works pretty good that way, im very happy with the amp this way
Aha! Right. As an experiment I did try to use a FS-5U pedal (un-latching) connected to my GT-100 to try out the MV switching.
It would only switch in one direction and not switch back.
I didn't realise the Boss GT multieffects would work with the FS-5L pedal (latching).

mhk

Reaction score
That’s why it only works with a latched pedal, i tried it with the ctl on the boss gt8 but that didnt work because its unlatched ( stays on while pressed down)
I couldnt change that in the settings
But with the fs5 l it worked well