Dsl40cr - My Thoughts

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I suppose that could work, but then the solo tone would have too much gain. The thing is, I need a clean tone without dirt for certain solos that can be boosted without dirt, and the OD1 tone wouldn't work.

All in all, this amp got really close to what I need for my application, but if I have to start introducing boost pedals, the amp loses its purpose, since I already have several amps that produce excellent tones that I use with a boost pedal for solos. I suppose I could take the DSL to a tech to see if he can fix the volume imbalance, but I don't think it's worth the cost and the trouble and the voiding of the warranty. Maybe Marshall will address this in the next iteration of this amp?

Yeah I hear ya, I'm probably gonna be getting the DSL20HR, it only has 2 modes which will suit me better.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya, I'm probably gonna be getting the DSL20HR, it only has 2 modes which will suit me better.

Yes, I’m considering the 20CR also, but haven’t found a store with one in inventory to try out. I still would have to use a boost pedal, but the combo amp is 15 lbs lighter than the 40CR, so that’s worth something.

Nick Bonell

Reaction score
Hi all, I am sizing up the dsl40cr but have a question. Can it go loud and clean? I know the main appeal of these is the dirt channel but I sometimes play a rockabiliy song in the covers band I'm in and need a loud clean tone. Is the clean channel still clean at loud drummer volume? I need cleans for Stray Cats tunes and Marshall roar for Clash tunes!

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
Both the 100 and the 40 watt have killer cleans you can play everything from jazz standards to funk to Stray Catz Straw Dawgs etc...with

Adelino Neto

Reaction score
I got the 40CR for small gigs only (200 to 350 people) and I can use the crunch channel 90% of the time, even for clean sounds.
6szEY2ZiogratQjq1

Last edited:

bacardi

Reaction score
I use Vox. This is my first Marshall DSL40CR is a good sounding Amp.
My upgrades
1-Cel. Cream Alnico 90w Speaker
4-RFT/ECC83 Pre-Amp Tubes
2-RFT/Siemens Power Tubes
This is a Great Sounding Amp

Jon C

Reaction score
I use Vox. This is my first Marshall DSL40CR is a good sounding Amp.
My upgrades
1-Cel. Cream Alnico 90w Speaker
4-RFT/ECC83 Pre-Amp Tubes
2-RFT/Siemens Power Tubes
This is a Great Sounding Amp
Glad you're digging the CR Gene !!

bacardi

Reaction score
how are you doing had a stroke can't play no more but playing with this amp. brother and sister son play